Apple's online store outs Touch ID-equipped iPhone 5c [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
A promotional photo posted to Apple's online storefront this week shows what appears to be a new version of the plastic-backed iPhone 5c, largely unchanged save for the notable addition of a Touch ID sensor in the home button.

The photo, which comes at the end of the promotional set for Apple's recently-revamped Lightning dock, depicts a pink model with a blank home button that matches the iPhone 5s and 6. The current-generation iPhone 5c carries the old-style home button with the outline of an app icon.

Aside from the Touch ID home button, the pictured device looks much the same. The FaceTime camera remains above the earpiece, while the lock button is on the top right and distinct, pill-shaped buttons control the volume.

The iPhone 5c with an apparent Touch ID fingerprint sensor was first noticed by AppleInsider reader Scott.

It's possible that the pictured device is the result of a photo composition error, though Apple is known to favor photography over computer-generated graphics. Apple has occasionally revealed new products early on its website before --?in March, the company posted a photo of what appeared to be a refreshed wireless keyboard, which was later quietly replaced.

If the device is legitimate, it could be unveiled during Apple's upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference next month. The company will hold its annual keynote address on June 8.

Update: The image has since been updated to remove the Touch ID-style home button.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Actually Apple favors CGI these days.

That's gotta be just an error. No reason marketing would have that this early UNLESS it's coming out at WWDC, which, again, no component leaks, so...
  • Reply 2 of 53
    I don't think its an error, i think the new 5c will have 5s components in. The same as the current 5c had 5 components in.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Mistake or not, this a device you'll see on sale this year.

This year's iPhone refresh will see the iPhone 5c be crafted with internals from the old 5s (including Touch ID). The 5s will get an internal bump as well, bringing it equal to last years iPhone 6.

The entire iPhone 6 line will be discontinued in favored of new version of the 6 and 6 Plus..whether they are called "S" or "7", I don't care.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    The 4-inch iPhone rumor that got squelched by well-connected Kuo (?) may not been squelched by Apple.

Maybe he wanted a 4-inch 6C! Say that with a lisp!! ????
  • Reply 5 of 53
    lghulmlghulm Posts: 22member
    Makes sense I think. iPhone 5C being replaced with an iPhone 5S in a plastic body (iPhone 6C).

Honestly after shattering the glass on the back of my 5S I can see this as more practical - I just wish Apple would increase the memory to 16Gb as a minimum. Having had friends that have used 8Gb iPhones to replace their lost/stolen/broken premium models I understand that 8Gb is not really enough to be useable.
  • Reply 6 of 53

I see apple bringing out 2 new iPhones this year; the 6S (4.7" model with bumped specs) and the 6C (4" model based on 5S specs) which I think is what we see here. Leaving the 6Plus as is for another year.

I personally think there is still big demand for a 4" iPhone.

• Reply 7 of 53
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member

This is interesting.

My guess for this years lineup:

iPhone 5S/6c (which is a plastic 5S) - entry level iPhone (the reason I chose 5S, is because Touch ID requires the secure element on the A7, the only 3 differences between the 5c and 5s were the flash, A7 and Touch ID, so it's closer to a 5S)

iPhone 6 - mid level iPhone

iPhone 6S

iPhone 6S Plus

iPhone 6 Plus discontinued in favour of 6S Plus, to keep sellable iPhone's to 4 models.

This way, the lineup is as it is now, but all units have moved a year up.

• Reply 8 of 53
    mazecookiemazecookie Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lghulm View Post

Makes sense I think. iPhone 5C being replaced with an iPhone 5S in a plastic body (iPhone 6C).

Honestly after shattering the glass on the back of my 5S I can see this as more practical - I just wish Apple would increase the memory to 16Gb as a minimum. Having had friends that have used 8Gb iPhones to replace their lost/stolen/broken premium models I understand that 8Gb is not really enough to be useable.

There is no glass on the back of the 5S.

• Reply 9 of 53
    mazecookie wrote: »

Yeah, I was about to say that. Also, Apple doesn't sell a 16 or 8Gb iPhone. There is a difference between GB and Gb folks.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member

I suspect that this phone would also have a NFC chip so that all of apples phones would support Apple Pay.

• Reply 11 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

That's gotta be just an error. No reason marketing would have that this early UNLESS it's coming out at WWDC, which, again, no component leaks, so...

An error? Apple? You think someone at Apple flubbed a detail and nobody noticed? Have you seen their advertising?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    An error? Apple? You think someone at Apple flubbed a detail and nobody noticed? Have you seen their advertising?

We got the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3 last year in the user guide demo shots...
  • Reply 13 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    lghulm wrote: »

Why would Apple accidentally leak it as a photo of a 5c? The unveiling of a 6c would be a tightly controlled and orchestrated reveal.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's possible that the pictured device is the result of a photo composition error, though Apple is known to favor photography over computer-generated graphics. Apple has occasionally revealed new products early on its website before --?in March, the company posted a photo of what appeared to be a refreshed wireless keyboard, which was later quietly replaced.

So whatever came of that?  I don't think they "revealed" a new keyboard, two months later the current keyboard still has the otherwise-blank F5 and F6 keys and the eject button on the top right-hand corner:

• Reply 15 of 53
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    mazecookie wrote: »

Forgotten already?

http://phonedoctors.com/product/apple-iphone-5-back-glass-replacement/
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

Actually, there are two strips of glass on the back of the 5S. One at the top, and one at the bottom.

• Reply 17 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netmage wrote: »

The only glass are the small Windows for the antenna on the back. The rest is the aluminum case. When we think of glass backed phones, we think of the 4 and 4S series with full glass backs.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    it makes sense for Apple to do this. It's more important to get touch security out there to as many people around the world as possible, and to get the full Apple Pay ability out as well. These are part of the reason why people buy these products from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

links? i know the AW displays are rendered, but i was under the impression that their site's product shots are still physical.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    melgross wrote: »
    it makes sense for Apple to do this. It's more important to get touch security out there to as many people around the world as possible, and to get the full Apple Pay ability out as well. These are part of the reason why people buy these products from Apple.

Yep, and compatibility with the Watch too.

Edit: I forgot that the 5C can already pair with the Watch for Apple Pay. I wonder therefore if Touch ID adds anything to the Watch pairing. More security?