Apple's online store outs Touch ID-equipped iPhone 5c [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    "no glass"

That may be what you think of, but not what was posted and it certainly is possible to shatter those panels.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Not to mention moving the total ecosystem of supported iDevices to 64-bit only. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new iPod Touch with a 64-bit (older) processor announced this fall.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    atokoschatokosch Posts: 46member
    This is not a big surprise to me. The iPhone 5C and iPhone 5C have just about the same screw holes, and if they not, then they are exactly the same. I am a repair tech and i always figured that that you could put an iPhone 5S board into the 5C housing, i never tried it, but i think i'm going to have to next time i have the chance. I see Apple making this the free iPhone 5S, i'm just not sure what they could call it!? iPhone 5S with colors?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    lghulmlghulm Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

There is no glass on the back of the 5S.

There is mate - at the top and the bottom to allow radio signals to pass through - you will know it is glass when it shatters believe me (and if it ain't glass it certainly shatters exactly like glass).

I got a quote from my local Apple shop (Perth Australia) for about $300AUD to fix it (replacing the whole phone). Also got a quote for a third party repair in Thailand for $15AUD. I didn't think Apple would be so expensive for the official repair so didn't get it done at the time.

Still shattered and dropping out additional shards of glass over time but think I can hold on to the 6S is released and replace the whole thing.

• Reply 25 of 53
    lghulmlghulm Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yeah, I was about to say that. Also, Apple doesn't sell a 16 or 8Gb iPhone. There is a difference between GB and Gb folks.

The comments section on the internet is such a welcoming place isn't it, nothing can slip by without a correction or criticism. If only we were all perfect we could probably all get along ;)

• Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lghulm View Post

The comments section on the internet is such a welcoming place isn't it, nothing can slip by without a correction or criticism. If only we were all perfect we could probably all get along ;)

GB and Gb is a huge difference. It's worse than the confusion between disk and disc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lghulm View Post

There is mate - at the top and the bottom to allow radio signals to pass through - you will know it is glass when it shatters believe me (and if it ain't glass it certainly shatters exactly like glass).

I got a quote from my local Apple shop (Perth Australia) for about $300AUD to fix it (replacing the whole phone). Also got a quote for a third party repair in Thailand for $15AUD. I didn't think Apple would be so expensive for the official repair so didn't get it done at the time.

Still shattered and dropping out additional shards of glass over time but think I can hold on to the 6S is released and replace the whole thing.

It's aluminosilicate, and as has been noted, "glass backed" implies iPhone 4 series.

• Reply 27 of 53

if it has applePay, Touch ID and connects to Applewatch which I think it will certainly do, I'm in for a white one or blue, with a matching watch.

I still like the "white" products from Apple. I have very fond memories of getting my first iBook, intel white MacBook and of course all the iPods, too.

Best.

• Reply 28 of 53
    braddsbradds Posts: 3member
    Its a shame that the "C" phones are being made to be the entry level. I would love to see either a 4.7 or Plus sized iPhone C. Having had one for a while I prefer how it feels in the hand over the other iPhone's.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    We need to know more under the hood. If Apple updates 4" iphone 5c with touch-id like iphone 6 which doesn't require apple watch to activate Apple-Pay than also better update VOLTE( and voice over WiFi) function. These are real day-to-day use functions than slightly faster processor upgrade, Adding touched like iphone 5S is not going to help much to apple and customers because you can buy slightly used iPhone 5S for lot less. But, if this one has iphone 6 equivalent technology inside than it really works out fine as for those who care to stick with smaller size and still wants current tech upgrades. This may become Apple's 4" solution with larger phone tech inside.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Actually Apple favors CGI these days.

That's gotta be just an error. No reason marketing would have that this early UNLESS it's coming out at WWDC, which, again, no component leaks, so...

Not sure about this (assuming that by CGI you mean 3D renders).

I think they still do what they've done for a long time, which is start with photos of the real thing, which they heavily edit with Photoshop. I guess this could be described as "CGI", but it doesn't seem like the products shots are complete CG 3D renders.

I have a small collection of old high-res press iPod photos from Apple products, in which they forgot to remove the clipping paths (which can be seen if you open the TIFF files in Photoshop) which gives an insight about how they were edited. I don't think that what they do now is very different.

• Reply 31 of 53
    deepen03deepen03 Posts: 101member
    It's updated now.. back to regular 5C home button.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Not sure about this (assuming that by CGI you mean 3D renders).

I think they still do what they've done for a long time, which is start with photos of the real thing, which they heavily edit with Photoshop. I guess this could be described as "CGI", but it doesn't seem like the products shots are complete CG 3D renders.

I have a small collection of old high-res press iPod photos from Apple products, in which they forgot to remove the clipping paths (which can be seen if you open the TIFF files in Photoshop) which gives an insight about how they were edited. I don't think that what they do now is very different.

I don't know for sure. I know the videos are complete renders these days.

• Reply 33 of 53
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Touch ID is a no brainer, it's utilised in all parts of the system. (Unlock/Purchases/ApplePay/3rd Party Logins/etc.) It makes complete sense that it will be introduced to the low end this year.

However, just like everyone has already said. In the same way that the 5C was the 5, the 2015 "C" will be the 5S such that apple continue their product displacement pattern.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    The photo on line is not the same as the photo above.
    It does not have the touch id botton. And is a normal 5c!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MGRM2/iphone-lightning-dock

That said i hope apple does not reintroduce the 5c form factor and instead do a 3.8-4.0 inch iphone 6 formfactor !
  • Reply 35 of 53
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradds View Post

Its a shame that the "C" phones are being made to be the entry level. I would love to see either a 4.7 or Plus sized iPhone C. Having had one for a while I prefer how it feels in the hand over the other iPhone's.

There's nothing indicating that a "5sc" would preclude a "6c", in fact this seems like a standard operating strategy now to create a new case so that the "$99" phone is not identical to the top of the line phone, and give them a three year life on the case as they move it down the chain. However, I don't believe you will ever see a "Plus c". They might even offer a 4" 6 in addition to it, or instead of it to push those wanting a 4.7" screen up to the 6s. Screen size is a good way to differentiate product price points without having to switch to plastic cases.

Likewise, I doubt the 5sc will still be called the 5c, otherwise it will cause confusion for the customer thinking it's the same phone as last year. "5sc" matches their previous marketing patterns, vs. "5c with Touch ID", which Apple has done on other products, it's not as concise.

• Reply 36 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    A TouchID-less 5c never made sense to me especially after ?Pay was announced. I guess at the time TouchID was the big new feature that seperated the high end from low.

I know WWDC is a developer software conference but Apple should announce this at the event. I want media noise, a Big Bang!

Here's an idea:

If Apple starts releasing C-series iPhones mid year Apple will no longer have a slow season. This could be a nightmare for copycats and they'll never get a break from iPhone hype. XD
  • Reply 37 of 53
    I'm just glad that they finally have a dock that will work with Apple's own cases without having to remove the case each time...
    btw note Apple's case has one hole (so to speak) on the bottom instead of 3 and will work perfect with the new dock but what about 3rd party cases with 3 holes on the bottom?
  • Reply 38 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mac_128 wrote: »

There's nothing indicating that a "5sc" would preclude a "6c", in fact this seems like a standard operating strategy now to create a new case so that the "$99" phone is not identical to the top of the line phone, and give them a three year life on the case as they move it down the chain. However, I don't believe you will ever see a "Plus c". They might even offer a 4" 6 in addition to it, or instead of it to push those wanting a 4.7" screen up to the 6s. Screen size is a good way to differentiate product price points without having to switch to plastic cases.

Likewise, I doubt the 5sc will still be called the 5c, otherwise it will cause confusion for the customer thinking it's the same phone as last year. "5sc" matches their previous marketing patterns, vs. "5c with Touch ID", which Apple has done on other products, it's not as concise.

I agree. If Apple wants faster ?Pay adoption they need to have TouchID on ALL current devices. Maybe even an iPod with TouchID and NFC(does ?Pay need a data connection?)

5sc, that name isn't gonna work. Apple is all about simplicity, all iPhone models read "iPhone" regardless of model. I think "iPhone 5c with TouchID" is more probable.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only glass are the small Windows for the antenna on the back. The rest is the aluminum case. When we think of glass backed phones, we think of the 4 and 4S series with full glass backs.

No one actually called their 5S a "glass backed phone". The OP said he "shattered the glass on the back of his 5s". This was followed by the reply "there is no glass on the back of 5s". Well, there IS glass on the back of a 5S, which can indeed be shattered. The OP made no mistake as far as I can tell. BTW, I had a 5S with shattered glass on its back.

• Reply 40 of 53
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    no pink background so its probably a stock render of the 5s front tbh. I don't doubt that the 5C will get touch ID eventually though. Just read the later comments and yep, they fixed it.