Apple's Next Acquisition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do you think Apple's next acquistion target will be? If you can't name a specific company then how about a type of company.

I would love for Apple to purchase a game developer (e.g., Blizzard).

How about you??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to General Discussion...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Personally, I'd like to see them buy out Palm or SGI, but I honestly don't believe that it will happen. Either purchase could move them into a new arena though...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Looks like they are not going to get SGI/Alias so it appears they are going to move down the chain to Luxology (programmers of Lightwave).

Should happen before xmas...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    [quote]Originally posted by Socinean1:

<strong>Looks like they are not going to get SGI/Alias so it appears they are going to move down the chain to Luxology (programmers of Lightwave).

Should happen before xmas...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. I think a 3D app is all Apple needs to shore up their offerings into a nice suite of apps. Apple must lead the charge and despite what people think having a growing market helps everyone provided Apple is not giving away apps for free.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Nah, don't wanna buy blizzard, they still have a big PC following. But then again, what did microsoft do to bungie? Maybe buying bliz would be a polite smack in the face to windoze users. Or they could buy ME, I'd love to sell out to Apple. Me and my company at <a href="http://www.webforever.com."; target="_blank">www.webforever.com.</a> For Sale! Common apple, you can find SOME way of making the site useful!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    cablecable Posts: 76member
    I can see Apple buying out Amiga to get some of the Amiga technology into the Macintosh. The Multimedia integration alone in AmigaOS 4.0 will be worth it to add to OSX. Also add in ARexx, AmigaVision, and other Amiga-Only technologies to OSX.

Apple should also buy out Crystal Decisions from Seagate, then they can use Crystal Reports on OSX.

Also a buyout of RightFax, because OSX needs a good Fax Server software.

Quark is a bit shaking these days, might as well have Apple buy them out as well.

Apple should also merge with AOL/Time/Warner/Netscape, we all know it will happen sooner or later.

How about a buyout of Yahoo to get Yahoo's search engine and Internet portals?

Why not buy out one of the Linux companies and use their people to develop for OSX and Darwin?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    isoiso Posts: 3member
    PIXAR!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    /mandolux//mandolux/ Posts: 648member
    Quite frankly, I think Apple & Company is on the block to be acquire by either Matsushita or Sony. Sometimes I wonder why this hasn't happen already (especially for Matshushita which needs a growth machine).

Of course, this is just a thought in a sleep depraved insomniatic mind.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Mac games thrive off of the PC buzz... they're not going to buy blizzard, especially since they're part of something else like EA Games now.

I think that they should buy Alsoft because Disk First Aid is really useless and Disk Warrior is just so much better.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    /mandolux//mandolux/ Posts: 648member
    Disk Warrior is the standard. That's what I use once a week for my PB - it takes over an hour but still, there is no substitute. A lot more reliable and safe than using Disk First Aid or Drive 10.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    [quote]Originally posted by MaCommentary:

<strong>Mac games thrive off of the PC buzz... they're not going to buy blizzard, especially since they're part of something else like EA Games now.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Blizzard games are distributed by EA, which is why the EA logo is on the box.

Edit: Actually a quick check of Blizzard.com reveals that Blizzard is actually a subsidiary of Vivendi/Universal.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 17
    cablecable Posts: 76member
    [quote]Originally posted by /mandolux/:

<strong>Quite frankly, I think Apple & Company is on the block to be acquire by either Matsushita or Sony. Sometimes I wonder why this hasn't happen already (especially for Matshushita which needs a growth machine).

Of course, this is just a thought in a sleep depraved insomniatic mind.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only company I can see that would want to buy out Apple and have the cash to do it is the AOL/Time/Warner/Turner/Netscape empire. It would give them the hardware and system to use to launch against Microsoft. They already have the Media, Communications, Browser, and other things, all they need now is an OS and a system to run it on to tie everything together. Then they could compete against Microsoft at almost every level.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Don't you think it'd be more likely for Apple to be TimeWarner-ized than it would be for TimeWarner to become Apple-ized? Still, it's in both companies' best interests to attack MS. I only hope that if it does happen, that Apple's software won't be as bad as AIM or Netscape! God, both those programs are terrible. Fire and OmniWeb all the way!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Steve Jobs runs Pixar and Apple, but has never made 3D software for the Mac. With Alias Wavefront in need of money, I could see a strong reason to buy at least the Maya software of Alias Wavefront. Renderman, software which Pixar produced and owns, is one of the best rendering engines, and is used by Alias Wavefront with all of their software already. The next logical step for Apple would be to bring the Maya 3D package under the Apple roof.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    What I want to see is Open GL 2.0 patent from 3D Lab
  • Reply 16 of 17
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by iso:

<strong>PIXAR!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

they own that already
  • Reply 17 of 17
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by illume Gallery:

<strong>Steve Jobs runs Pixar and Apple,...</strong><hr></blockquote>