Adobe discontinues Photoshop Touch, offers video glimpse of future replacement tech [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2015
Adobe on Thursday announced plans to discontinue Photoshop Touch, its advanced photo editor for iPad and Android tablets, while offering brief hints about where a successor or successors might go.

While the app is still available on the iOS App Store and Google Play, Adobe said that it will remove Touch on May 28. The app will continue to work as long as it's downloaded and installed, but no more updates will be produced, and it will no longer be for sale.

The company is however working on one or more replacement apps. In a new demonstration video, prototype software is capable of loading and editing a 50-megapixel image on an iPad at speeds comparable to a desktop computer. The video also shows off options like selective object removal, color swapping, and image warping.

More general editing functions should include things like vignettes, dodging and burning, and exposure, contrast, and saturation control. Adobe told AppleInsider, however, that no one app will replace Touch.

CNet reported that unlike the $10 Touch, upcoming software should be free, but demand a Creative Cloud subscription to sync files with Photoshop CC on the desktop, or the rest of the CC suite.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21

They're workin' it.  But .. do we really believe it will edit a 50MP file on the pad the same as the computer?  We do not. Woof.

• Reply 2 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is really sad that these companies are tying software to services we don't want and especially don't want to pay for.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    They're workin' it.  But .. do we really believe it will edit a 50MP file on the pad the same as the computer?  We do not. Woof.

It all depends upon the iPad the file and the editing to be done. If they are making use of the GPU then there is a good possibility that the app is indeed fast.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    As a Creative Cloud member, let me say that I am quite impressed with Adobe's marvelous iOS team. They're making CC an even greater delight to use and the synching between tablet and desktop is great. Draft on a tablet. Refine on a desktop. I love it.

As a member, I'd like to make one suggestion. Give us an app and interface that lets us share snippets of text between apps and across platforms as easily as we can share images. In fact, build that snippet sharing into all the apps, iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. An advertising slogan created on one could be shared with all of them with no risk of a typo. And it'd spare us the burden of typing and retyping that text.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is really sad that these companies are tying software to services we don't want and especially don't want to pay for.

Oh stop it. A Mac and Adobe CC is basically a license to print money.

• Reply 6 of 21
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Oh stop it. A Mac and Adobe CC is basically a license to print money.

I've got Macs and not one piece of Adobe trash on them. Leaves a smile on my face when I sleep at night.

• Reply 7 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I've got Macs and not one piece of Adobe trash on them. Leaves a smile on my face when I sleep at night.

Same here

• Reply 8 of 21
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Do serious photoshop professionals choose tablets over desktops?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Cooooool:)
  • Reply 10 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Just give us true Adobe Illustrator for iOS.
    That Adobe Draw is a joke.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That's pretty low, Adobe--it wasn't cheap!

And I thought it was a very nice app. (Not the kind of thing you'd use instead of a laptop, but great in a pinch when you have no laptop. And great as a companion to other iPad art apps--for art/drawing you'd never dream of doing on a bulky laptop.)

Pixelmator and Procreate to the rescue!

(I feel bad for Android users: it was a nice app, and they have slim pickings for an alternative!)
  • Reply 12 of 21
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member

The more Adobe tries to corral me into paying them every month for life, the more I dig in my heels.

Echoing the NRA and actor Charlton Heston, "I'll give you that $50, Adobe, when you take it from my cold, dead hands."

• Reply 13 of 21
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Do serious photoshop professionals choose tablets over desktops?

If they're competent and productive, they have both, and don't make a huge fuss over paying for what they use, as the tools enable them to make so much more than that.

• Reply 14 of 21
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    They're doing their homework. With proper low level optimisation, and intelligently planned code, who knows what's possible? These days the computer processors are so strong that software houses don't seem to prioritise optimising. Apple included. It'll work because the systems are strong.
    With the iPad it's back to school.
    Perhaps for a lot of young programmers they're not even familiar with the level of optimisation required to make things really smooth, since they've probably grown up with over powered beasts.
    Photoshop touch was pretty lame in my opinion. The new touch is looking promising :)
  • Reply 15 of 21
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    The market is wide open and the smaller companies are making fast and lean software that professionals would be mad not to look at. I have personally ditched all of my Adobe software, all but inDesign as this is still the best professional tool for any graphic designer, but Photoshop is being seriously challenged as is illustrator. Dream weaver is uselesless, I use coda pixelmator and inDesign. Still not found a good replacement for illustrator. I hate sketch it' feels like a windows app on a Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Well if the rumors about the larger iPad with a Stylus are true it immediately brings the question of what software you would be able to use on the larger iPad. Apple has the ability to create the best drawing experience out there, but if there is not professional software its use will be limited.

Perhaps Apple is working with Adobe to bring out a new version of Photoshop for the new tablet. For me personally, I would need to be able to edit 30-50 Mpix images and jump back and forth with desktop Photoshop with no loss of layer information and no loss of quality.
  • Reply 17 of 21

When Adobe went with CC and subscription, what they lost were non-professionals like me who used Photoshop for personal stuff. I don't think they really are interested in that segment.

Professionals who earn a living using using Adobe products will continue to use CC, either paid for by the employer, or paid for by themselves, if they are self-employed.

I'm just glad Pixelmator is there to pick up the slack for people like me, though I do wish they had more filter options.

• Reply 18 of 21
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    When Adobe went with CC and subscription, what they lost were non-professionals like me who used Photoshop for personal stuff. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I don't think they really are interested in that segment.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Professionals who earn a living using using Adobe products will continue to use CC, either paid for by the employer, or paid for by </span>
    themselves, if they are self-employed.

I'm just glad Pixelmator is there to pick up the slack for people like me, though I do wish they had more filter options.

This is as it should be. As a professional CC subscriber now for years, I'm glad Abode, like many other software companies, is finding that this business model allows them to separate the wheat from the chaff, while being freed to concentrate more on its paying customers.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

This is as it should be. As a professional CC subscriber now for years, I'm glad Abode, like many other software companies, is finding that this business model allows them to separate the wheat from the chaff, while being freed to concentrate more on its paying customers.

Well, to be fair, I did pay for my Photoshop installs before CC. 

• Reply 20 of 21
    heycasheycas Posts: 2member
    The market is heading the right way. The past 2 years I've optimized my workflow, so that I can be as mobile as possible. As an artist, I love having doing my work on the go. All my work is created on just my iPhone 5S. I'm working on A3/A2 sized formats, 3508 x 4961/4961 x 7016 pixels in 300dpi saving 50-137MB files. Normally there's the 4096 x 4096 texture size imit. But I've got plenty of apps like Filterstorm that lets me exceed the limit and open, edit and save in high resolution. I'm working with 4K JPEG, TIFF, PNG and SVG files on my iPhone with ease. Can't wait for the new iPhone, hopefully with 2GB ram and a higher MP camera so more app developers can exceed the max texture size of 4096, which is set by the camera MP.
    Now you go on and 'give' yourself a great day -keep positive