Apple's iPhone 6s could add 12MP Sony camera with RGBW subpixels - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

You sound like you know a lot more about this than I do, but I remain highly skeptical about consumer 4K in general.

For consumers, I would agree, 4K is not yet practical but for editors it is. For the same reason high megapixel still cameras are. If you are targeting 1080, starting with 4K gives you a lot of creative possibilities with zooming, panning and cropping.

• Reply 42 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    How is it asinine? I have an iPhone 4, as well. I'm painfully aware that it's not up to the requirements of today's software.

It's not asinine for one very clear reason — when iOS devices only had 512MB of RAM, everyone felt that 1GB would solve everything! Well, here we are at 1GB, and now everybody wants 2GB. Remind me again how my view is asinine? Maybe you think that 2GB is the sweet spot?
    The sweet spot is adding more RAM without a negative when it comes to power draw. LPDDR4 RAM ought to allow Apple to double RAM in the iPhone without a negative impact.

By the way the upgrade from 512 MB of RAM to 1GB had a massively positive impact on the iPad. It went from a proof of concept machine to something far more usable and with reasonable staying power. I like to buy hardware that leave me confident that it will be useful for at least a few years.
    I manage over a dozen servers online, and code my own software to run on those servers. I watch resource consumption _very_ carefully. I work painstakingly hard to get the resource usage of my software _down_ so that it runs quickly and more efficiently for my clients. I could have a very different motivation – strictly adding features, and having to rent beefier servers just to power them. But that would be doing my business, and my clients, a disservice. My software is 100x more capable than it was 10 years ago, and yet consumes less RAM and takes up less CPU than the software from those older days. How? Through careful and considerate design, not by tossing more hardware at the problem. So I'm keenly aware that more RAM is not the only solution. It's one solution, just not the only solution.
    In the case of iOS devices it is one that is needed in the next update.

With your servers I have to imagine at one time or antiher you ran into a situation where you needed more performance and thus addressed it in one manner or another. That might have been buying a new server of stuffing more RAM into an older one. In the end software demands grow even with the best of intentions.
    All of that said, I'll be a very happy camper when I finally retire my iPhone 4 later this year and join the modern crowd, with bigger screens, more features, and more RAM. :P

Hey I hoping to retire mine also. When I do that I'm hoping that I will not have the issues I see on my current iPhone and iPad.

By the way I fully realize that Apple has of late some serious software quality issues. Even on a totally new Mac I see beach balling with no rational explanation. IOS is a bit better but but I really do think that Apple needs to address performance issues in both OS's.
  • Reply 43 of 122
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,318member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way I fully realize that Apple has of late some serious software quality issues. Even on a totally new Mac I see beach balling with no rational explanation. IOS is a bit better but but I really do think that Apple needs to address performance issues in both OS's.

If the rumours are true, the next major releases of iOS and OS X will primarily be targeting performance and quality. I sure hope that's true, because that's what I've always respected about Apple... painstaking attention to detail. They are already the leader of pack... so let their competition continue to fight based on spec and feature sets, and let's have the best, most trusted and reliable platform for ourselves.

• Reply 44 of 122
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,222member
    Quote:

Do you have an 80" 4K TV at home, or do you think 4K is worth the costs and drawbacks on a 50" TV?

WTF? I have a 4K 32" monitor and 4K material looks fantastic!

For a movie-theater experience, I sit 6 feet from my 1080p set and wish it were 4K, which still might not be enough. I don't want to see pixels ever.

• Reply 45 of 122
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,222member
    Quote:

You sound like you know a lot more about this than I do, but I remain highly skeptical about consumer 4K in general.

Who is the 5K 27" iMac retina targeted at? Consumers.

• Reply 46 of 122
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For consumers, I would agree, 4K is not yet practical but for editors it is. For the same reason high megapixel still cameras are. If you are targeting 1080, starting with 4K gives you a lot of creative possibilities with zooming, panning and cropping.

No argument there. For pro video it's awesome.

• Reply 47 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

WTF? I have a 4K 32" monitor and 4K material looks fantastic!

Lol, it would look equally fantastic on a quality 32" 1080P TV when viewed from a normal distance. Unless you watch your TV from 2 feet away, the 4K may not have been the wisest investment.

• Reply 48 of 122
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

No, I don't buy that argument. That's BYOPC thinking. That's Windows users' logic.

Nobody complains their Sony PS3 only has 256MB of RAM because the PS3 software is designed with the hardware in mind. Software developers aren't shooting for some random hardware target when they code for the PS3. It means learning to work within the limits of the hardware. The iPad is no different. If you were writing software for the iPad, you didn't exceed its limits. You may not realize this, but PS3 games, like iOS apps don't list "minimum specs" like Windows PC games, because they don't have to.

Actually I wish they'd been able to squeeze in a bit more. What's happened is as Sony has thrown more at it, its started to show cracks. The Store is darn near unusable at this point (thankfully there's a browser interface now). And the biggest boon to devs with the new consoles has been more RAM.
  • Reply 49 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Apple doesn't advertise specs because that's the fool's game that their competitors have always played. Apple markets the user experience. They will say the device is fast, looks and sounds great, is easy to use, and can let you do X easier than ever. This is not about saving a couple of bucks in the bill of materials. Anyone who thinks otherwise is completely ignorant of Apple's business strategy.  

Adding RAM comes at a performance cost: more RAM uses up more battery and processing power. So Apple tries to strike the right balance.

Except they do. They'll tell you how many new pixels are in the new MacBook display or the improvement in graphics performances with the A8X chips. The only spec they don't seem to want to talk about is RAM in iOS devices.
  • Reply 50 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Except they do. They'll tell you how many new pixels are in the new MacBook display or the improvement in graphics performances with the A8X chips. The only spec they don't seem to want to talk about is RAM in iOS devices.

Most of their specs are available on their website and may be referenced during a keynote. My point was that they don't make specs the focus of their advertising, since numbers alone can be meaningless or even misleading to the average consumer. Unlike Samsung, for example, Apple will focus on "what's in it for you" rather than "our number is higher than their's."

• Reply 51 of 122
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Many people are just gullible. I've held off upgrading my iPhone simply because the lack of RAM rubs me the wrong way. It is a very real case of Apple being stingy at the detriment of its customers.

The iPad is another matter altogether you really need 4GB of RAM on that machine if some of the rumors about future iOS capabilities are true. In general though I have to wonder just how people are using their iOS devices if they believe 1GB is enough, like I said elsewhere it is obvious to anybody with a background in computer science that the devices are being limited due to the lack of RAM.

It makes me wonder how much overtime Apple softwaree engineers have to put it to make software work well on RAM limited devices. And for what reason? Would putting 2GB RAM in iPhone 6 really have been cost prohibitive? It wasn't for the IPad Air 2.

As far as split screen multitasking, my guess is will only be available for new iPads precisely because of the lack of RAM. Maybe the Air 2 will get it but it probably won't be the greatest experience.

Reading the latest wonder boy Mark Gurman rumors it's clear Apple knows their software needs performance and stability improvements. My mother just got an iPad mini 3 (Best Buy was offering them for $299). It's not running iOS 8.3 and I told her not to upgrade and wait for iOS 9.
  • Reply 52 of 122
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It makes me wonder how much overtime Apple softwaree engineers have to put it to make software work well on RAM limited devices. And for what reason? Would putting 2GB RAM in iPhone 6 really have been cost prohibitive? It wasn't for the IPad Air 2.

As far as split screen multitasking, my guess is will only be available for new iPads precisely because of the lack of RAM. Maybe the Air 2 will get it but it probably won't be the greatest experience.

Reading the latest wonder boy Mark Gurman rumors it's clear Apple knows their software needs performance and stability improvements. My mother just got an iPad mini 3 (Best Buy was offering them for $299). It's not running iOS 8.3 and I told her not to upgrade and wait for iOS 9.

8.3 is very stable.

The reason they didn't upgrade wasn't cost, it was supply. Apple's consuming a huge amount of the world DRAM supply, and there's no way they could have met demand. With LPDDR4 they should be able to.
  • Reply 53 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

If the rumours are true, the next major releases of iOS and OS X will primarily be targeting performance and quality. I sure hope that's true, because that's what I've always respected about Apple... painstaking attention to detail. They are already the leader of pack... so let their competition continue to fight based on spec and feature sets, and let's have the best, most trusted and reliable platform for ourselves.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this, rather than a cart full of features. Apple has perfected their hardware manufacturing, cranking out substantial improvements year after year, right on schedule, with outstanding quality control. On software, it seems they're struggling to keep up with the 12 month major upgrade cycle while maintaining quality. Good software development is not something you can automate or easily scale by adding more developers or outsourcing work to India.

Back in the day, Apple could more easily shift their schedules around as needed. But with their current high profile on Wall Street, they're under a ridiculous amount to of pressure to perform every quarter (god I hate Wall Street) and that means sticking to a tight and at times unrealistic schedule... settling for "good enough" instead of "perfect."

• Reply 54 of 122
    8.3 is very stable.

The reason they didn't upgrade wasn't cost, it was supply. Apple's consuming a huge amount of the world DRAM supply, and there's no way they could have met demand. With LPDDR4 they should be able to.

I hope your right as iPhone can sure use it. And hopefully if we get an iPad "pro" it comes with more than 2GB.
  • Reply 55 of 122
    freediverx wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really looking forward to this, rather than a cart full of features. Apple has perfected their hardware manufacturing, cranking out substantial improvements year after year, right on schedule, with outstanding quality control. On software, it seems they're struggling to keep up with the 12 month major upgrade cycle while maintaining quality. Good software development is not something you can automate or easily scale by adding more developers or outsourcing work to India.

Back in the day, Apple could more easily shift their schedules around as needed. But with their current high profile on Wall Street, they're under a ridiculous amount to of pressure to perform every quarter (god I hate Wall Street) and that means sticking to a tight and at times unrealistic schedule.

I like the fact they're apparently doing a bottoms up approach instead of top down this year. Get a stable OS working that runs great on older hardware and then add on additional features for newer hardware.
  • Reply 56 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Who is the 5K 27" iMac retina targeted at?

Me!

You don't buy an iMac to watch movies from 10 feet away.  It's for doing work while seated a couple feet away at most.

• Reply 57 of 122
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Frankly, if the new camera requires a thicker form factor, I'd be okay with that.

But more importantly than the lens, is more space for a thicker battery.

My iPhone 6 doesn't last more than a day and a bit under moderate use...and only a day when used heavily. I'd love to see something in the 2 day range without having to recharge or worry about running out.

• Reply 58 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Frankly, if the new camera requires a thicker form factor, I'd be okay with that.

But more importantly than the lens, is more space for a thicker battery.

My iPhone 6 doesn't last more than a day and a bit under moderate use...and only a day when used heavily. I'd love to see something in the 2 day range without having to recharge or worry about running out.

I don't see Apple going back to a thicker phone. I can't think of a single Apple product that has gotten thicker from one generation to the next.

• Reply 59 of 122
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

First!!!!

How about at least a 1080p screen resolution for the 4.7" model?

Uh, why? Is the current resolution blurry to you or something? Also, what's with the FIRST crap? Are you 8? Sometimes threads on this forum don't get posts for hours, so not really an accomplishment. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The rumors are making the 6s sound like the least significant new model yet. The difference between the 5 and 5s was much bigger -- the 5s got touchID and cyclone, along with a better camera. ForceTouch doesn't seem to be nearly as big of a deal as touchID, and I'm guessing the A9 won't offer nearly as large a performance as improvement relative to the A8 as the A7 did relative to the A6. 

I bet this will result in more people saying that Apple can't innovate.... but the the iPhone 7 will come out with dual cameras (or whatever), and blow everybody away. 

Could be that the best feature of the 6s will be to create a buying opportunity for AAPL investors.... 

Nice concern trolling and hand-wringing. Not every model needs to make the previous look obsolete. There aren't an infinite stream of meaningful hardware additions like TouchID that they can just keep adding. I have literally zero complaints about my iPhone 6, and can't think of a SINGLE thing I'd want changes. Sure, there's always gonna be the spec improvements, but stock acting as if Apple needs to completely re-invent the phone every year or else they're screwed. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

ForceTouch has the possibility for great improvements, don't knock what hasn't been released for the iPhone.

Heck, the likely addition of 2GB RAM will sell a ton of the darn things.

Yeah, because most consumers buy phones based on RAM. Hint: It's completely irrelevant outside of the tech-blog following nerds, whose impact on sales will be negligible. I doubt there's a single person on the planet that will chose not to buy an iPhone because of RAM primarily. Also, I have trouble thinking what I would be doing with my iPhone 6 if it had 2GB of RAM, that I'm not already doing now at lightning speed. 

• Reply 60 of 122
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't have any 4K hardware but I do have 4K software. I'm planning to go 4K when the next Mac Pro is released. But back to the discussion about color: If you record in 4K and then watch it down sampled to a 1080 screen, the color will be better than recording in 1080 to start with because the chroma subsampling will be 4:4:4 since 4K is 4x 1080, the pixel subsampling is evenly divisible.

That's not true under every circumstance. For some reason people think 4K alone solves all problems, there is a lot more than goes into it creating an image.

Outside of resolution which isn't always whats most important there is color sampling and quantization, along with color space.

The most important starting point is the quality of the sensor and the quality of the debayering algorithm - how those work to produce an image before being compression an the codec applied.

I'd prefer to see 2K with less compression, higher sampling, and better debayering algorithms.