Jony Ive makes list of influential tech execs, Apple retakes top spot in brand rankings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
On Wednesday Apple's newly-minted Chief Design Officer, Jony Ive, came second to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella on a Juniper Research list of the most influential technology executives in 2015, while Apple as a whole reclaimed the top spot on a Millward Brown chart of the world's most valuable brands.

Jony Ive. | Source: Sotheby's
Jony Ive. | Source: Sotheby's

The Juniper rankings are based on subjective criteria such as vision, innovation, and personal capital. Ive's position on the list is connected to the Apple Watch, which Juniper said will be a benchmark for smartwatches. Ive is also noted to have set "very strict" guidelines for Watch app design, conformed to the device's shape and the "glance habit it engenders."

Nadella took the top position on the list for making a "fundamental change" to Microsoft's business model, transforming Windows into more of a service. The approach should result in a different development process at the company, Juniper said.

Other executives in the top 10 include: Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, Alibaba chairman Jack Ma, Google ATAP (Advanced Technology and Projects) director Paul Eremenko, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, and Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun.

Notably absent from the top 10 is Apple CEO Tim Cook, who is frequently cited in other lists of influential leaders and executives. Ive though has been considered extremely important to Apple, responsible for the core designs of products like the iPhone and iPad.

His promotion to Chief Design Officer will actually pull him away from direct involvement with product design. Although he will retain leadership in that area, he will also be tasked with overseeing things like construction projects. Filling in the gaps will be Richard Howarth -- assuming control of industrial design -- and Alan Dye, now in charge of user interface design.

Millward Brown reproted that Apple regained control of its BrandZ chart (PDF) from Google via a 67 percent jump year-over-year, putting its estimated brand value at about $247 billion. The increase is linked mostly to the success of the iPhone 6, but also to offerings like the Apple Watch, HealthKit, and Apple Pay.

Google's value also increased in 2015, but only 9 percent to $173.7 billion. Microsoft advanced 28 percent to $115.5 billion, putting it in third place.

Apple's BrandZ value has grown the most among any company in the last 10 years, by 1,446 percent. Millward Brown bases its rankings on the opinions of 3 million people spread across 50 countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    No Samsung in either top 10 list? Haha :D
  • Reply 2 of 23
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member

My thought is that Tim believes what Steve said, "A great product is its own reward."

With a few personal causes the exception (where he exerts influence), I think Tim is happy to sit back with a quiet smile and let the products be influential.

• Reply 3 of 23
    aelegg wrote: »
    My thought is that Tim believes what Steve said, "A great product is its own reward."

With a few personal causes the exception (where he exerts influence), I think Tim is happy to sit back with a quiet smile and let the products be influential.

The reality is the iPhone 6 and careful supply chain management have done more to damage Samsung than any lawsuit ever could, at least from a business standpoint.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    sog35 wrote: »
    total utter BS that a Microsoft Executive is ranked higher than all Apple execs.

total and utter BS.  All he did was change office to a subscription product, which every single OTHER software company did YEARS AGO.

Well Microsoft is sort of taking over Android by bundling Microsoft apps with new Android tablets. So there's that...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

How about this for brand value...Ask 10 random people who Satya Nadella is, then ask them who Jony Ive is.  Most people have never heard of Nadella because he hasn't done anything significant.

• Reply 6 of 23

That Brand chart is really silly. I haven't taken the time to see exactly what BS this guy is peddling, but AT&T has to be one of the most despised brands out there. And I would argue that even if you are a BIG brand (measured by employee count and earnings and exposure), if everyone hates you, you are not all that valuable as people are simply waiting to get around your position in the market. 

• Reply 7 of 23
    ceek74 wrote: »
    How about this for brand value...Ask 10 random people who Satya Nadella is, then ask them who Jony Ive is.  Most people have never heard of Nadella because he hasn't done anything significant.

All that matters is he's not Steve Ballmer.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I see another article out there claiming Ive's promotion means he's close to retirement.

http://www.cio.com/article/2926833/apple-os/jony-ive-prepares-to-retire-from-apple.html

Ok this makes zero sense to me. Why would Apple allow the New Yorker to have unprecedented access to Ive along with a 20 page profile entitled: Jony Ive and the Future of Apple if he had one foot out the door? Why would Cook create (and the board approve) a new C-level position (the only other C-level position outside of CEO and CFO) for someone with one foot out the door? Why would Cook say Ive will own all design and work on future initiatives if he had one foot out the door?

When Bob Mansfield signaled he was ready for a reduced role (he did retire at one point) Cook didn't give him a promotion, he was taken off the leadership page. If anything this promotion signals to me Ive is more powerful than ever and Cook doesn't want to lose him to retirement (or burnout).
  • Reply 9 of 23
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    ceek74 wrote: »

Most people don't know who Jony Ive is either. My former roommate just got a job as a Apple rep inside the Best Buy. I asked him who Ive was and he had no clue. I asked him that because I knew he didn't know and knows very little about Apple as a whole. He even had a Samsung Galaxy S5.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple is, without a doubt, the most influential tech firm on the planet. to have the MS CEO be ranked more influential, and to exclude Apple's CEO, invalidates this ranking and reduces it to....(wait for it)....nonsense.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well Microsoft is sort of taking over Android by bundling Microsoft apps with new Android tablets. So there's that...

they'll have taken over Android when they take it over. hasn't happened yet.

further, iOS is still more influential to the world than Android is, especially since Android itself is a copy of iOS.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see another article out there claiming Ive's promotion means he's close to retirement.

http://www.cio.com/article/2926833/apple-os/jony-ive-prepares-to-retire-from-apple.html

Ok this makes zero sense to me. Why would Apple allow the New Yorker to have unprecedented access to Ive along with a 20 page profile entitled: Jony Ive and the Future of Apple if he had one foot out the door? Why would Cook create (and the board approve) a new C-level position (the only other C-level position outside of CEO and CFO) for someone with one foot out the door? Why would Cook say Ive will own all design and work on future initiatives if he had one foot out the door?

When Bob Mansfield signaled he was ready for a reduced role (he did retire at one point) Cook didn't give him a promotion, he was taken off the leadership page. If anything this promotion signals to me Ive is more powerful than ever and Cook doesn't want to lose him to retirement (or burnout).

Yeah, that is absolute BS.

• Reply 13 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Google encouraged it. They've got the EU breathing down their back on just that issue of app bundling in Android. By making sure some competitive services are pre-installed on handsets and not just Google stuff they may be able to diffuse it without the EU getting too involved. Seems it's never good for an American tech when they take an interest in what you're doing. The tech company is going to come out on the short end.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

total utter BS that a Microsoft Executive is ranked higher than all Apple execs.

total and utter BS.  All he did was change office to a subscription product, which every single OTHER software company did YEARS AGO.

Well, because Satya can say things influential to women which make up more than 50% of the world population that Jony can't: "Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella: women, don't ask for a raise"

• Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

No Samsung in either top 10 list? Haha image

In fact, they're #45.

• Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

"Women, don't ask for a raise" is significant.

• Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Most people don't know who Jony Ive is either. My former roommate just got a job as a Apple rep inside the Best Buy. I asked him who Ive was and he had no clue. I asked him that because I knew he didn't know and knows very little about Apple as a whole. He even had a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Your friend probably doesn't even know who Tim Cooks is. Your friend is irrelevant. 

• Reply 18 of 23
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    aelegg wrote: »

Agreed. Tim doesn't seem to have a bloated ego like pretty much every CEO on the planet.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Wow there was a time when Ive had a head of hair AND was clean shaven. :lol:

Groupshot-Ive-.jpg
  • Reply 20 of 23
    davdav Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Could be that Ive is focused on the car - that cannot be a small undertaking.