Apple's iOS drives 75% of Google's mobile advertising revenue

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Like Apple, Google was and is afraid of being dependent on another android (orig to fight windows CE) and Chrome. While Apple might "dump" Google, I think their priority is on customer value. They dropped Google Maps due to poor support to iPhone that is not keeping parity with Android and unreasonable terms regarding customer privacy.

Assuming Google is behaving itself on privacy then Apple may continue as default search. However., I think non-browser search aka Siri will continue to move to a a non-Google source perhaps ultimately their own as Siri becomes increasingly important to mobile, cars, and wearables.

To avoid ain't-trust stuff with browser search Apple could merely offer a random search engine as default and the user could if dissatisfied make choice e.g., Google. I find this doable e.g., MS browser agree et in Europe, but seems like a cop-out. Apple customers expect Apple to make choices when appropriate.

Apple feels no obligation to help Google especially as Google uses this to fund Android for free. However, if customer experience is first, then Apple will accept the right solution.

The future is not old fashioned search, but rather Siri in many contexts. Media (music. ..), home automation, car as an environment or productions/service, health, etc., this is where Apple is going, Google is an obstacle and a facilitator.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    When someone finally takes your bait and says why Google is a threat, you respond with, well why is that such a big problem!
    I'm gonna guess you're a teenager by your style of communication and logic. Am I close? Are you younger than that or older?
    I didn't say the harm wasn't a problem. I said there was no harm in the first place, nor is it Google's intention to cause any. Feel free to disagree with actual pertinent examples of that harm that you believe Google is causing Apple so that we can discuss it. I didn't see any in that post.

Teenager?? LOL! While Google may think I'm more than 10 years younger than I really am I don't think I've been carding age for quite some time.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    gprovida wrote: »
    Like Apple, Google was and is afraid of being dependent on another android (orig to fight windows CE) and Chrome. While Apple might "dump" Google, I think their priority is on customer value. They dropped Google Maps due to poor support to iPhone that is not keeping parity with Android and unreasonable terms regarding customer privacy.

Assuming Google is behaving itself on privacy then Apple may continue as default search. However., I think non-browser search aka Siri will continue to move to a a non-Google source perhaps ultimately their own as Siri becomes increasingly important to mobile, cars, and wearables.

To avoid ain't-trust stuff with browser search Apple could merely offer a random search engine as default and the user could if dissatisfied make choice e.g., Google. I find this doable e.g., MS browser agree et in Europe, but seems like a cop-out. Apple customers expect Apple to make choices when appropriate.

Apple feels no obligation to help Google especially as Google uses this to fund Android for free. However, if customer experience is first, then Apple will accept the right solution.

The future is not old fashioned search, but rather Siri in many contexts. Media (music. ..), home automation, car as an environment or productions/service, health, etc., this is where Apple is going, Google is an obstacle and a facilitator.
    You're spot on. Apple is already crafting their copy of Google Now, and Siri combined with Spotlight will be a huge part of it. The old desktop search stuff isn't going to transition to mobile. The needs are different.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As I have said many times. Apple should to find a way to remove as much of that as possible. No reason to help fund your potential nemesis. The best way would be ?Search as the default IMHO.

I moved right to DuckDuckGo as soon as that was a option for iOS.  Much better then Google I think.  Google gives you pages and pages of mostly CRAP that's not even related to what you're looking for and a bunch of Ads.  DuckDuckGo just gives you want you want and maybe 1 ad.  

Why people think Google has everything and is the Best?   For example, I was looking for a copy of a manual for a Safety Device which we have here at work to measure O2 levels.  it hasn't worked in a number of years.  Never sine I've been here.  I had no manual and I needed to see how to so some wiring and figure out how it was wired already, and how to set Dip switches and put it into calibration mode, etc.   Well I went right to Google, I figured they would have it some place.   Well I entered the Model# did a search and the results were piss poor.  There was only one site about the middle of the page that looked promising, it was some book type site.  I couldn't just download a copy.  it would show the manual in like a book type open format that was a hassle to navigate.  It sucked!!!!!  That was ALL I could find of the many pages Google Had!!!

i finally just tried DuckDuckGo for the hell of it.  Did the same search, and guess what,  #1 Item listed, a Copy of the Manual and in PDF format that I could download!!!!!  I downloaded it, printed it out and put it in a Binder where I could take in into the room and use it easily!!!  The system is back up and running perfect like it hasn't in years!!!    Google Search WORTHLESS, DuckDuckGo, hit it out of the ball park!!!  I was like WOW.   I don't know if people just have gotten used to using Google these days.  I was that way and don't know any other way.  It's just habit at this point.  Google does do some fancy things at time, but for the most part, who cares.  You don't need Google's 50+ pages of search results with 1 or 2 pages has everything you were looking for in the first place and the page isn't half covered in ads!!!

• Reply 45 of 80
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

You're funny, you're a Google fan who spends his day on an Apple news website. Something funny about that. Anyways, after poking at people to say why Google is a threat to Apple, as if you have some hidden gem of logic you're ready to bestow on the lucky one who answers, even though everyone with common sense already knows they compete against each other, and I honestly don't care to change your mind on that... When someone finally takes your bait and says why Google is a threat, you respond with, well why is that such a big problem!

I'm gonna guess you're a teenager by your style of communication and logic. Am I close? Are you younger than that or older?

Exactly what I was going go say.  GoogleGuy repeatedly asked for examples, and when given them, responded with a diversion & side attack (Apple would just have more money in the bank, which is clearly bad for the world).

If Android were not available, then it is true other smartphone platforms would have responded, but IMO most would agree it would not have been the same.  Apple would have taken a larger share than they did earlier on.  Android was rapidly developed to be a close to Apple as possible, out first, and provided for free.  Can anyone argue that this business approach by Google did not seriously alter the balance in the smartphone market?

Google takes the money they make in search, a good portion from Apple platform use, and funds the creation of the biggest competitive platform to Apple's most important platform.  It is by no means the end of the world, but to claim no harm to Apple is a bit much.

• Reply 46 of 80
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Remember Cook argee to play nicely with Google going forward. Google can not ignore the fact IOS generate them more revenue than their free to use andriod solution. I am beginning to think Apple may have agree not to punt Google and Google agree to slow it developement of Andriod and not provide features which would drive high end consumers to Andriod. The two companies seem to be playing differently lately so it will be interesting to see if Google is default search in the future.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    jbdragon wrote: »
    I moved right to DuckDuckGo as soon as that was a option for iOS.  Much better then Google I think.  Google gives you pages and pages of mostly CRAP that's not even related to what you're looking for and a bunch of Ads.  DuckDuckGo just gives you want you want and maybe 1 ad.  

Why people think Google has everything and is the Best?   For example, I was looking for a copy of a manual for a Safety Device which we have here at work to measure O2 levels.  it hasn't worked in a number of years.  Never sine I've been here.  I had no manual and I needed to see how to so some wiring and figure out how it was wired already, and how to set Dip switches and put it into calibration mode, etc.   Well I went right to Google, I figured they would have it some place.   Well I entered the Model# did a search and the results were piss poor.  There was only one site about the middle of the page that looked promising, it was some book type site.  I couldn't just download a copy.  it would show the manual in like a book type open format that was a hassle to navigate.  It sucked!!!!!  That was ALL I could find of the many pages Google Had!!!

i finally just tried DuckDuckGo for the hell of it.  Did the same search, and guess what,  #1 Item listed, a Copy of the Manual and in PDF format that I could download!!!!!  I downloaded it, printed it out and put it in a Binder where I could take in into the room and use it easily!!!  The system is back up and running perfect like it hasn't in years!!!    Google Search WORTHLESS, DuckDuckGo, hit it out of the ball park!!!  I was like WOW.   I don't know if people just have gotten used to using Google these days.  I was that way and don't know any other way.  It's just habit at this point.  Google does do some fancy things at time, but for the most part, who cares.  You don't need Google's 50+ pages of search results with 1 or 2 pages has everything you were looking for in the first place and the page isn't half covered in ads!!!
    You've mentioned that old search for a manual several times recently (what manual was it BTW? Just curious). Do you have any other example of something DDG found but Google could not?

In my case I have much more success with Google Search finding the answers and links I'm looking for, as you probably have noticed. it's a lot faster to research with them too in my experience. I've tried DDG maybe a dozen times and for basic searches it's fine. For detailed stuff it's not as full-featured as Google but for a lot of folks it doesn't need to be. They're not looking for detailed stuff anyway and Duck Duck Go is a fine choice.

One thing I have noticed is their searches frequently mirror what MS Bing finds so I'm guessing much of the time they're simply running the search thru them and returning the results as their own.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

Agree with most of this.  I don't see Apple trying to replace Google search with their own version (at least for some time) of a "search engine".  They will however use their own backend services which are useful to their core applications like Siri and Spotlight.  Ever richer information is required to provide the user experience necessary to enable ever more seamless interaction with our devices and services.  Siri is getting better, but could do so much more with additional info obtained from the wider web and focused data sources.

Until the Apple Maps search function is closer in usefulness to Google Maps (this is where I still notice the biggest gap), then I would say Apple isn't ready on the search engine front.

• Reply 49 of 80
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Apple...PULL...THE...PLUG!!!  F-'em.

Google must be paying Apple a bundle of money to continue to be the default search engine.  Even with Android being the Competition.

• Reply 50 of 80
    brucemc wrote: »
    Exactly what I was going go say.  GoogleGuy repeatedly asked for examples, and when given them, responded with a diversion & side attack (Apple would just have more money in the bank, which is clearly bad for the world).

If Android were not available, then it is true other smartphone platforms would have responded, but IMO most would agree it would not have been the same.  Apple would have taken a larger share than they did earlier on.  Android was rapidly developed to be a close to Apple as possible, out first, and provided for free.  Can anyone argue that this business approach by Google did not seriously alter the balance in the smartphone market?

Google takes the money they make in search, a good portion from Apple platform use, and funds the creation of the biggest competitive platform to Apple's most important platform.  It is by no means the end of the world, but to claim no harm to Apple is a bit much.
    I disagree, and the financials back me up. I don't believe Apple has lost out on any revenue due to Google. On the contrary I believe Apple was the net beneficiary of having Google services on the iPhone. If Apple didn't believe that too they never would'a partnered with them. Google is not out to cause them any harm to them, nor have they IMO. It's a contrived argument used by fans of each platform. Makes good headlines tho.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    As DED said more than once, Android was meant as a buttress against Microsoft and not Apple

DED isn't an accurate source to cite while trying to suggest why Android was created. he wasnt in the room.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Ever increasing competition".... :rolleyes:

What I don't get is why Google would want to harm Apple or their products in any way if they make so much money from services on their platform?? As it makes no sense why they would (unless someone here can explain it logically) it follows that they don't want to, nor have they IMHO.

I literally thought this was like a 14 year old boy new to AppleInsider.

I was about to make an educated reply with a mini history lesson for the boy and then read the name.....

*facepalm*

It's that AppleInsider vet who's been reading articles for years.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I disagree, and the financials back me up. I don't believe Apple has lost out on any revenue due to Google. On the contrary I believe Apple was the net beneficiary of having Google services on the iPhone. If Apple didn't believe that too they never would'a partnered with them. Google is not out to cause them any harm to them, nor have they IMO. It's a contrived argument used by fans of each platform. Makes good headlines tho.

Which financials are you referring to which backup your argument Apple has lost no revenue due to Google's actions over the last 8 years?  

• Reply 54 of 80
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I don't believe Apple has lost out on any revenue due to Google. On the contrary I believe Apple was the net beneficiary of having Google services on the iPhone.

do you really need it explained to you that those two statements are not tied to each other?

that apple benefitted from having google services on its smartphone product in no way invalidates the statement that apple has lost revenue due to google's smartphone product.

i mean, really?
  • Reply 55 of 80
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    DED isn't an accurate source to cite while trying to suggest why Android was created. he wasnt in the room.
    Nor was anyone else here in the room, yet no one seems to let that discourage them from offering their opinion.

I wasn't the one to initially invoke DED as support for an argument. Seeing as someone else already had and Dilger is generally considered to be a rabid and unapologetic Apple fan with pretty good industry connections, if he came to those conclusions I think that speaks volumes in support of the claim Google did not set out to hurt Apple.

Mr Jobs was set off when Google enabled multi-touch in Android. That much we know. It was already there but disabled at the request of Apple as the story goes. Shortly after the iPhone was intro'd Palm did bake in into their OS. Apple had plenty to say about it but no action followed the bluster. Their CEO even called Apple out, pretty much saying bring it on if you think you have something to sue us with. Palm called their bluff and Apple didn't answer.

Google's problem then became being one of if not the only smartphone OS's not to offer a multi-touch interface (and only to please Mr. Jobs, no other reason). Android risked becoming essentially an afterthought if they left it turned off. Apple couldn't prevent others from using it even if Google toed the line. Their other choice was going with the industry direction and enabling what they had already developed. Not the best of choices.

Relying on pure faith that Apple would always use Google as their partner for maps and search wasn't going to fly. History wasn't on their side. Nor was there any reason for Google to believe just being on Apple's iPhone was good enough, no need to have a presence on other mobile devices. Trusting that Microsoft would not be successful in mobile and attempt to block Google just as they had tried on the desktop wasn't good enough either. Trust and business sometimes have issues. All in or all out is the way it works if they didn't want to be Blackberried. So a choice had to be made, the only rational one IMO. Carry on with what they started.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't believe Apple has lost out on any revenue due to Google.

Boy that's nutty.  Ever see the graphic that macdailynews puts up all the time with the "Android phones before iPhone", and "Android phones after iPhone"?  The one that shows the blatant rip-off of the touchscreen/UI/icons?

Why would Steve be willing to go "Thermonuclear War" and spend "all of Apple's $40Bil to right this wrong" of the blatant theft that Eric Schmidt perpetrated from sitting on Apple's board, if no harm was done?

So let's say you personally invent something fabulous in your basement.  I can hang out in your kitchen, drinking your best wine (board-meeting analogy), where I hear all about it, then I decide to make nearly the same thing in MY basement, based on the same ground-breaking ideas that you had, and described to me.

We both make $.  You make more $. 

And because you're making a bunch more $ from your ideas than I am, it's OK that I stole them, and I didn't harm you?

Hmm.

• Reply 57 of 80
    Seems stupid of Giggle to attack Apple when most their money comes front them.

If I were Tim I would remove GoogSearch COMPLETELY from iOS. I would bet most users wouldn't notice.

I'd then develop a new engine with Siri, spotlight and possibly partner with IBM(Watson) or buy Watson.

Have minimal ads and name the engine something simple and minimal like "Search", "Find", "Siri" etc.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    sog35 wrote: »
    exactly.

Its time for Cook to play for keeps.

Google is trying to kill off Apple by selling cheap POS phones and tablets.  Apple should try to damage Google by offering ad free search or offer ad rates that are much cheaper than Google.

Yes!

They can take it a step further and make Apple Search the default page in Safari.

I was thinking less ads but cutting rates is also a great idea.

Trust me, Goog isn't invincible. Tim is playing too nice(or maybe he's been planning a surprise?)
  • Reply 59 of 80
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    I call BS on this claim. Let us know what PDF you were looking for.
    jbdragon wrote: »

• Reply 60 of 80
    sog35 wrote: »
    Are you joking?

Of course Google is a threat.  They are willing to sell phones at a loss to undercut Apple.  It would be like Apple giving search ads away for free.

Google had $11 billion in mobile revenue in 2014.
    Facebook is forecasted to have $16 billion in 2015.
    Facebook has already surpassed Google.

Only 16% of Google's revenue comes from mobile.  The rest is in desktop that is shrinking every year.
    The only phones Google sells, the Nexus line, are far from cheap. Otherwise they're simply a software, services and advertising company. . No threat to Apple unless you think so little of Cook and Company as to believe any old OS provider can put 'em under.