Latest OS X beta ditches buggy discoveryd DNS service, replaced with mDNSResponder

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Allelujah! Amen.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Well I have had zero problems with the last 3 Yosemite betas that went out then I read this article, got all excited and, installed the beta on all three computers. (In fairness they have all been running all betas since betas were offered)... and after three flawless beta updates this one killed my ability to download and not time out.

I even followed the suggestion of installing the beta 4, unplugging the Apple TV and the Apple router then Fumo those saved caches but it did not fix the problem.

I tried downloading from my favorite sites which download fast anyway (I don't know if it's our Cox connection at 165Mbps or the web site I download from but I normally can download a 1.6GB file in about 8 minutes. After installing the beta now each file says 10-11 hours. That's not a misprint. I mean hours!

If I could go back one beta a would but now I fear with the WWDC coming up THIS will be the final version. If that's the case this really sucks. Why pay for a fast connection only to have your OS kill it.

And it gets worse!

Out of 12 files all downloading at the same time, one by one they begin stalling. Not all together - no that would be to easy. Over the course of the next hour one by one they get the orange "connection lost" icon. And when you double click to restart that download it jumps from 10 hours to 1 day, 2 hours. This is a mess! If you haven't updated DONT!!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    razormaid wrote: »
    Well I have had zero problems with the last 3 Yosemite betas that went out then I read this article, got all excited and, installed the beta on all three computers. (In fairness they have all been running all betas since betas were offered)... and after three flawless beta updates this one killed my ability to download and not time out.

I even followed the suggestion of installing the beta 4, unplugging the Apple TV and the Apple router then Fumo those saved caches but it did not fix the problem.

I tried downloading from my favorite sites which download fast anyway (I don't know if it's our Cox connection at 165Mbps or the web site I download from but I normally can download a 1.6GB file in about 8 minutes. After installing the beta now each file says 10-11 hours. That's not a misprint. I mean hours!

If I could go back one beta a would but now I fear with the WWDC coming up THIS will be the final version. If that's the case this really sucks. Why pay for a fast connection only to have your OS kill it.

And it gets worse!

Out of 12 files all downloading at the same time, one by one they begin stalling. Not all together - no that would be to easy. Over the course of the next hour one by one they get the orange "connection lost" icon. And when you double click to restart that download it jumps from 10 hours to 1 day, 2 hours. This is a mess! If you haven't updated DONT!!

One swallow does not a summer make. Given there is nothing at all wrong with the update that many of us have tested it has to be your end surely? Explain more, perhaps folks here can help. Did you check your DNS servers for example? I assume you are Developer to have the latest version so surely you can figure your issue out? I can download anything at up to 50 Mb/s (my connection d/l max) across multiple threads, any less then it is always the servers' limitations not my end.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 598member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So I run Yosemite on 3 machines, and my family on many more. I've been running Yosemite since the betas. If this system is so horrible and buggy, how come I have experienced ZERO issues relating to this?

I can't answer that, but on our simple home network I've seen my iMac listed with up to (5) after its name though it now seems to be stable at (2). Same thing happened with my partner's MacBook Air. That is a clear bug.

Safari locks for quite a while sometimes and then loads and this usually happens on our Macs but rarely on iOS. That may or may not be related. So, your ZERO problems experience is not the only one.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Hey guys I know this is slightly off topic but after 2 hours on the phone with apple trying to get access to their beta department and getting my request for info pulled off the forum reminding me that nothing can be commented about beta releases ( even though I was in the developers forum) this was the closest link I could find hoping if nothing else maybe someone seeing this can get the message passed on to the beta department.

For those of you who read too fast as skip over the things people say let me make a few points very clear:

1. A handful of us were invited to do the public beta of IOS 8.4. That's Public beta testers - not developers. So before you snap back a nasty quip telling me to submit feedback through the developers link THAT is not possible. They require your developers ID and we do not have access because we are PUBLIC beta testers not developer beta testers.

2. Our only means to communicate is with the beta provided FEEDBACK APP. (did I mention PUBLIC beta testers?)

3. Because this problem is stopping us from reporting and providing feedback we can't get this info to Apple.

4. Posting anything on Apples forum got all of this info removed.

5. Even after 2 hours with Apples own tech support VP's (3 in all) even THEY had no access to beta department. It's like a separate company.

There's all the things you need to know before you read what the problem is.

Here's the problem:
    Back on May 20th after receiving the beta 4 update all feedback reports stopped sending. Oh we got the "swoosh" sound that said it left but upon noticing today the there were things sitting in the outbox I clicked it only to discover none were sent dating back to the 20th. I don't know if that's the exact date it started failing but my reports from that date forward won't send. I did a Google search and the others had the same problem but like mine when I clicked the link the links were closed and removed like mine.

Why is this such a concern of mine? Several reasons but the one that stands out? I have a photographic memory so this is gold to the beta department. When something goes wrong I can actually access what I did like a video, rewinding backwards and forwards recreating for Apple an exact step by step "where did I go, what was I doing, what did I click, how did it happen" report, allowing Apple to literally do what I did exactly recreating the problem to rear it's ugly head.

I'm only adding this information to stress when I say I have 36 reports that are stuck and did not send you can see why they need to get these reports. Vast amounts of detail are involved.

Before some smarta** says "well you have a photographic memory just send it again", that's the problem. The submit function is locked up causing all of them to say UPLOADING but after 4 days it's clear these are not going anywhere.l because they send in order and the outbox is still waiting to send reports from the 20th.

Before someone asks: Yes this is happening on all devices running the beta. Two iPhone 6's. iPad mini and iPad Air 2 - feedback locked in all devices besides they need to see the crash reports and sys reports from the device where the problem encountered.

But here's a bigger concern.

What if all the other PUBLIC testers are having the same problem? Suddenly ow after 8 or 9 days from its release Apple is having zero or close to zero error/bugs reported? What if apple actually thinks beta 4 fixed everything because no reports are coming in? And what if they sign off on this and make this the GM on June 8th and for sure there's 36 bug because I have them sitting in disorder animation.

My purpose for writing this?

Has anyone figured out a work around to send the stalled reports? You can't close the program or it tosses the reports. You can't force quit your phone (home button and startup button) because it will clear out your reports.

Any suggestions or work arounds would be greatly appreciated. Any if it's "no" to all the above is there a developer reading this that can submit to Apple this problem? Maybe if they get a solution in time my reports can send and give then time to rush through a last minute fix for these 36 problems I have isolated?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Joseph