newbie: how long are posts "held for moderation"?

Posted:
in Feedback edited May 2015

hello folks, i signed up for the forums last week and began posting comments on stories. however at 12 posts, i still get a notice after each that my message is being "held for moderation". what is this about? was it something i said (doubtful?) or just because im a new user? how long does it last? thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

I want to know the same thing

• Reply 2 of 20

Well, that just killed me from posting here. I absolutely hate it when forums do this. The whole point of a forum is near instant communication. Meaning, by the time your post gets "approved", you could have posted on other fourms/websites and have gotten replies.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Reply 3 of 20

i think I have made less posts than you and I am still under moderation, correct

• Reply 4 of 20
    pvr4mepvr4me Posts: 5member

Yikes, 12?!?

For me, it is not consistent.  One of my posts was approved fairly quickly but 3 others haven't been.  Why the difference?

Craig

• Reply 5 of 20
    e1971e1971 Posts: 2member

I agree, this moderation nonsense deters newcomers.

Now, seeing your post about moderation after 12 posts, jeez... I guess they'll never get to my first post.

This post probably won't make it up any time soon either.

• Reply 6 of 20

You are lucky.

You got a message telling you about moderation.

I am still wondering where the heck my post went.

I don't recall any message about moderation.

My profile says I have posted 1 message.

But I have nothing in my 'All Posts'. I assume it is awaiting moderation.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm tempted to hit Submit again, and again, hoping...

But that could be rather embarrassing...

• Reply 7 of 20
    superk9superk9 Posts: 11member

Say there, I can ready your question, but no responses...  :(

sincerely,

another newbie

• Reply 8 of 20

Did you ever find out? Mine are still held and it's been over 24hrs

• Reply 9 of 20

Did you ever get an answer to this?  If you are off moderation, how long did it take you?

• Reply 10 of 20

When you post something just make sure that it makes a lot of sense.

• Reply 11 of 20

Until a mod notices them.

I don’t remember much about Huddler anymore. I know that Defensio (that’s what it’s called, right? or was that vBulletin’s?) now just blocks most early posts entirely.

Oh, hey, you have 600+ of them now. Never mind. :p

• Reply 12 of 20
    masterchat wrote: »
     When you post something just make sure that it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    qvakqvak Posts: 86member

Also curious. There's a hot toyota bashing discussion i want in on now... but who knows how long until posts show up.

• Reply 14 of 20
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member

Maybe some people have more patience for this "held for moderation" stuff, but it just does not make sense for me to bother trying to contribute only for the posts to be held for 8 hours then show up in the comment history a few pages back (people are not going to go back and read through the history each time looking for a new post inserted in the middle somewhere).  

• Reply 15 of 20
    kolvaskolvas Posts: 22member

Kind of hard to participate in a discussion if one's posts are moderated ad infinitum. I replied to a post some months back and it still hasn't appeared. And if judging by some of the replies to a number of posts, having something constructive to say has no implication whatsoever on moderation. Frustrating actually.

• Reply 16 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    kolvas wrote: »
    Kind of hard to participate in a discussion if one's posts are moderated ad infinitum. I replied to a post some months back and it still hasn't appeared. And if judging by some of the replies to a number of posts, having something constructive to say has no implication whatsoever on moderation. Frustrating actually.

Your posts have all been validated, except for the duplicates:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184568/apple-adds-notification-center-widget-enhances-syncing-performance-in-itunes-12-1-update#post_2668861
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184816/microsoft-adds-icloud-save-support-to-its-office-suite-for-ios#post_2677530
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185851/how-to-enable-apples-handoff-feature-between-your-ios-devices-and-mac#post_2712176

This process of validation only applies to people with low post counts and stops when you've made enough posts. It keeps spam hidden. Posts generally won't be held back for more than 24 hours.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Your posts have all been validated, except for the duplicates:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184568/apple-adds-notification-center-widget-enhances-syncing-performance-in-itunes-12-1-update#post_2668861
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184816/microsoft-adds-icloud-save-support-to-its-office-suite-for-ios#post_2677530
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185851/how-to-enable-apples-handoff-feature-between-your-ios-devices-and-mac#post_2712176

This process of validation only applies to people with low post counts and stops when you've made enough posts. It keeps spam hidden. Posts generally won't be held back for more than 24 hours.

nobody ever answered my original questions. so holding the posts for moderation is an official policy for all new posters? I guess mine must have fallen thru the cracks because they were not cleared as non-spam for something like. week after posting them (thus this thread)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    so holding the posts for moderation is an official policy for all new posters? I guess mine must have fallen thru the cracks because they were not cleared as non-spam for something like. week after posting them (thus this thread)

All new posters have their posts held back automatically for review. This was necessary because of the spam. No spam shows up on the forum now whereas before, it used to show up every day and we had spam that was just flooding the forum, like 100 threads per day. There were also banned members signing up new accounts and just making stupid posts at random and doing this more than 20-30 times. Now they can't do that. The feature was switched on around March/April last year I think so you were probably one of the first new members to get held back in it. The spam at that point was making it hard to deal with the moderation queue because the spam was still flooding the forum so there were dozens of pages of spam with new members mixed in. It took a while for it to die down but there's hardly any now because it's wasted effort on their part.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Marvin wrote: »
    All new posters have their posts held back automatically for review. This was necessary because of the spam. No spam shows up on the forum now whereas before, it used to show up every day and we had spam that was just flooding the forum, like 100 threads per day. There were also banned members signing up new accounts and just making stupid posts at random and doing this more than 20-30 times. Now they can't do that. The feature was switched on around March/April last year I think so you were probably one of the first new members to get held back in it. The spam at that point was making it hard to deal with the moderation queue because the spam was still flooding the forum so there were dozens of pages of spam with new members mixed in. It took a while for it to die down but there's hardly any now because it's wasted effort on their part.

Fantastic. I did notice those masses of advertisers went away and wondered what happened.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    dani0805dani0805 Posts: 9member

Still it is very annoying to first time posters... how about implementing some bayesian spam detector behind the lines so that new messages that fall through can be given the benefit of doubt? We implemented something similar for a client recently with good success.