FCC chairman to propose broadband subsidy for low-income Americans

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    coxnvoxcoxnvox Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Where can I join your commune?

You can join it wherever you are, friend...for it is within your soul!  :>)

• Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coxnvox View Post

Funny how there are TRILLIONS of dollars to spend on wars that accomplish nothing, but as soon as somebody tries to do something to help people, we are FLAT BROKE! 

#berniesanders

Ah, you're one of those types. Bye bye!

• Reply 23 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

I agreed with Wheeler on net neutrality. But this is utter BS. Given the geography of this country, it will be ridiculously expensive to make happen. 

If someone chooses to live in a rural area, they have to make some compromises, or spend more to gain access.

• Reply 24 of 68
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Never forget what Bill and Hillary Clinton illustrate all too well with their corrupt foundation. For the Democratic party, fraud and corruption is a feature not a bug. There's typically a pretense of caring about those with limited incomes, but the real purpose is pay-to-play for the rich and well-connected.

Those who pay, fill the pockets of Democratic politicians either directly (political contributions) or indirectly (foundation donations or inflated speaking fees). They get federal subsidies that come from our pockets or fast-track processing through the federal regulatory bureaucracy. Those who don't join pay-to-play get nasty IRS audits and the like.

That's why, for the 2014 elections, the top 13 wealthy donors all put their money into Democrats. You're down to #14 before you're to one who gave more to Republicans. And the much demonized Koch brothers were way down in 24th place.

I might something that's obvious but often forgotten. Government regulation isn't going to make cable service better. Cable companies such as Comcast deal with regulation at the federal, state and local level. That's why there service is poor and prices high. They need only appease their regulators to not only get what they want but to have those regulators shield their market from healthy competition.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Wheeler will also reportedly propose new anti-fraud measures.

Fraud is a major concern with the program, as last year the Justice Department indicted three people on charges of defrauding $32 million from Lifeline between September 2009 and March 2011. By 2012 the FCC had implemented measures such as crosschecking to prevent households from claiming more than one subsidy, and Wheeler is proposing rules like requiring service providers to not only verify a person's eligibility -- as they do currently -- but keep proof of it for any potential audits.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... ha, ha, ha, ha ,ha... ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...

The IRS just got hacked. My tax preparer told me he was dealing with numerous fraud cases in which people filing their return found out someone else had already filed and received a refund fraudulently. My wife found out someone had been receiving her Social Security for over a year when she went to file for it after retiring. The head of the IRS said he doesn’t have enough resources or people to deal with the fraud. The government is going to up its efforts to prevent fraud? Really? No, really? The government couldn’t even stop a mailman from flying his helicopter onto the Capitol lawn.

So now add free broadband to the list of government services that will be milked dry by thieves.

• Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agreed with Wheeler on net neutrality. But this is utter BS. Given the geography of this country, it will be ridiculously expensive to make happen. 

If someone chooses to live in a rural area, they have to make some compromises, or spend more to gain access.

Net Neutrality was just the smoke screen. This always was and is the real agenda of Title II reclassification. You fell for it. Shame on you.

• Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Ah, you're one of those types. Bye bye!

Awesome to go through life with such an open mind...we sure learn a lot by only listening to people with whom we already agree, eh? 

• Reply 28 of 68
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

The Obamaphone tax is already 17.5%. But it's not a tax, it's a "fee". Because a percentage on gross receipts that has to be remitted to the Government isn't a tax.

• Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coxnvox View Post

Awesome to go through life with such an open mind...we sure learn a lot by only listening to people with whom we already agree, eh? 

I don't go to the insane asylum to learn from the inmates. You support someone who advocates for a 90% tax rate.

• Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Never forget what Bill and Hillary Clinton illustrate all too well with their corrupt foundation. For the Democratic party, fraud and corruption is a feature not a bug. There's typically a pretense of caring about those with limited incomes, but the real purpose is pay-to-play for the rich and well-connected.

Those who pay, fill the pockets of Democratic politicians either directly (political contributions) or indirectly (foundation donations or inflated speaking fees). They get federal subsidies that come from our pockets or fast-track processing through the federal regulatory bureaucracy. Those who don't join pay-to-play get nasty IRS audits and the like.

That's why, for the 2014 elections, the top 13 wealthy donors all put their money into Democrats. You're down to #14 before you're to one who gave more to Republicans. And the much demonized Koch brothers were way down in 24th place.

I might something that's obvious but often forgotten. Government regulation isn't going to make cable service better. Cable companies such as Comcast deal with regulation at the federal, state and local level. That's why there service is poor and prices high. They need only appease their regulators to not only get what they want but to have those regulators shield their market from healthy competition.

You think fraud and corruption is limited to one side of the aisle?!?!  Wow...I'm speechless.

• Reply 31 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    lkrupp wrote: »

[SIZE=14px]I agreed with Wheeler on net neutrality. But this is utter BS. Given the geography of this country, it will be ridiculously expensive to make happen. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">If someone chooses to live in a rural area, they have to make </span>
    some<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> compromises, or spend more to gain </span>
    <span style="line-height:26.880001068115234px;">access.</span>
    [/SIZE]

Net Neutrality was just the smoke screen. This always was and is the real agenda of Title II reclassification. You fell for it. Shame on you.

Calm down, dude. Don't be so uninformed. Perhaps you're good at divining hidden agendas and conspiracies, but read the proposed regulation that is colloquially called 'net neutrality' before spouting off.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianJersey View Post

Ridiculous! I think libraries are here for a good reason, go there if you want to surf the web. BTW, Comcast (the only provider in my area) sucks!

The libraries close pretty early in the evening in most places. A single mom who wants to take online education has to wait until the kids are in bed to have some time to study. With the transition of many government services to online only, internet access is almost required to be a citizen. I think the goal of everyone having access to the internet is a good thing. The US should be able to afford that. The government could certainly cut some unnecessary expenditures, but caring for the citizens shouldn't be one of them. I agree the cable companies totally suck.

• Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Obamanet? He liked the name for his other big freebie legislation, so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I am surprised by some of the heartless comments on this story. How do people expect the poor to afford internet access for their computers, Netflix streaming, their game consoles, and tablets unless we all help them? :rolleyes:

-kpluck

**** the poor!

FTFY.

• Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... ha, ha, ha, ha ,ha... ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...

The IRS just got hacked. My tax preparer told me he was dealing with numerous fraud cases in which people filing their return found out someone else had already filed and received a refund fraudulently. My wife found out someone had been receiving her Social Security for over a year when she went to file for it after retiring. The head of the IRS said he doesn’t have enough resources or people to deal with the fraud. The government is going to up its efforts to prevent fraud? Really? No, really? The government couldn’t even stop a mailman from flying his helicopter onto the Capitol lawn.

So now add free broadband to the list of government services that will be milked dry by thieves.

I love how they cut the IRS funding to make things even worse.  I love Republicans.

• Reply 35 of 68
    boozerboozer Posts: 19member

Sounds like a bunch of privileged dudes posting comments here. Believe it or not there are a lot of poor people in America that do not have access to a computer or smart phone. Imagine that for a moment in your life. If you are applying for VA benefits and are poor where to you go to a public library? How about look for a job listing that is online? Those raking in all the profits in this country want you to blame the poor rather than lend a hand to help them make their lives and our society better. Stop blaming those that have the least, stop blaming those that have no resources or defense. 

• Reply 36 of 68

My political philosophy is Libertarian but with Investments.  I don't believe in government charity, but I think social programs and infrastructure programs are ok if they produce a positive return for everyone.

Education is a classic case, it increases the earning power of everyone.

The Internet provides a colossal amount of free information and services.  Those without access are only going to have worse prospects over time which hurts everyone.  Education dollars spent on children will also be wasted if they don't have access to Wiki and Google.

I think the cost of Internet for the poorest will get paid back many times in increased upward mobility and higher income potential for children.

Government can screw up anything, but this looks like a legitimate investment to me.

• Reply 37 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    coxnvox wrote: »
    The cynicism in the comments so far is only outstripped by the weak, shallow, and tired arguments used to showcase said cynicism.  In reality, not a one of you will ever pay one penny for the subsidy for internet to the poor.  Some of these poor people will use the internet for nothing but entertainment and will continue to be a drain on society...this is undeniable.  But for every one of those people, there are TEN single moms working two jobs that will be able to shop around for more affordable housing, continue education through online courses, keep their kids safer through better communication options, and become a more informed voter by really learning about the world around them.
    Feel free to keep cruising through life blaming the poor for all your problems...that's exactly what the billionaires who are robbing us blind want you to do.
    Peace and no offense meant.

I don't blame "the poor" (whatever that means), I blame the bastards in government stealing my money for purposes beyond their original limitations and intent.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/corporate-welfare/corporate-welfare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/

About $59 billion is spent on traditional social welfare programs. $92 billion is spent on corporate subsidies. So, the government spent 50% more on corporate welfare than it did on food stamps and housing assistance in 2006.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nevermark wrote: »
    My political philosophy is Libertarian but with Investments.  I don't believe in government charity, but I think social programs and infrastructure programs are ok if they produce a positive return for everyone.

Education is a classic case, it increases the earning power of everyone.

The Internet provides a colossal amount of free information and services.  Those without access are only going to have worse prospects over time which hurts everyone.  Education dollars spent on children will also be wasted if they don't have access to Wiki and Google.

I think the cost of Internet for the poorest will get paid back many times in increased upward mobility and higher income potential for children.

Government can screw up anything, but this looks like a legitimate investment to me.

Libertarianism is not about groups, it's about individuals. More likely, you may hold a "live and let live" outlook, however this is not the same as a minimal government, pro-freedom, anti-collectivist philosophy.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Calm down, dude. Don't be so uninformed. Perhaps you're good at divining hidden agendas and conspiracies, but read the proposed regulation that is colloquially called 'net neutrality' before spouting off.

Net Neutrality was cute little baby sold to the public. Reclassification was the goal. That’s not a conspiracy theory as we can now see with this proposal to add subsidy fees to everyone’s Internet bill. Broadband will probably wind up like the wireline business, stagnant, burdened with every possible government fee (federal, state, county, municipality, village, town) they can think of. Ever look at a wireline bill lately? 30% of it is now fees and taxes. My wireline service costs $20/mo with unlimited domestic long distance. My BILL is $27.43/mo. That’s $7.43 in taxes and fees, and that adds up to 37% of the total.