Google reveals Google Photos with free, unlimited photo and video storage [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google is going to scan the metadata and send you ads based on it? While that may be what happens is that actually mentioned anywhere official or a guess?

Google never announces "hey we found a great new way of advertising to you" !!!

It has been proven, however, that uploaded images are scanned by OCR and by metadata.  

http://cognitiveseo.com/blog/5909/did-google-read-text-image-can-affect-my-rankings/

• Reply 22 of 128
    I'm also usually a google hater, but this is really good stuff. Apple needs to get off its arse and pony up some storage. Dead tired of constantly being reminded that my icloud storage needs upgrading. You're a $1 trillion company! Stop nickel and diming us! You should be able to reasonably match Google's offer and effort in this space.

Jeesh.
  • Reply 23 of 128
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I don't understand the entitlement people feel from Photo services. You wouldn't walk into the store and expect to walk out with a physical photo album and pay nothing for it. So why should we expect services be given to us for free? You're going to pay for it one way or another. Google is a business.

Eve so, I'll be surprised if Google makes any substantive gains in the Photos space even though it has the appearance of being free, cause they don't solve the underlying problem that nobody has solved — we have far too many photos and the experience of actually looking back through your photos sucks. Not even Apple has made that an enjoyable experience.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

its very easy to have near lossless photo compression.

Google [reportedly] claims lossless, not near-lossless. If it's lossless, why even mention it? If it's not lossless... [groans]

• Reply 25 of 128
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This and new Now features were the only interesting points. All the rest was copy and paste on Apple, down to the way Android Pay looks. It's the same UI!

Apple should at least provide something like 100GB for free. Hoping they announce it.
  • Reply 26 of 128
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Google always wins by offering shit for free. Always wins. Always.
  • Reply 27 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is really shameful for Apple. There free cloud storage is pathetic.

I own an iPad, Mac, iPhone 5S, and iPhone6.  

FOUR FRIKEN DEVICES.  yet they only give me 5GB of free storage.  

At bear minimum it should be 5GB per device.

Apple has no excuses for not offering an unlimited option, no question asked. No excuse.

• Reply 28 of 128
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Google always wins by offering shit for free. Always wins. Always.

Makes you wonder how Apple got be worth over twice what Google is worth and dwarf them in revenue and profit.

• Reply 29 of 128
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apple should at least provide something like 100GB for free. Hoping they announce it.

I wouldn't mind paying Apple, but they're asking way too much, their top end is too limited, and their privacy measures aren't explicit enough.*

*Does Apple hold the keys, too, or does only the user have the keys?

• Reply 30 of 128
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Edit: or has Hooli entered into talks with Pied Piper again?

I was beginning to think I'm the only one that watches that show. :lol:
  • Reply 31 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    clemynx wrote: »
    This and new Now features were the only interesting points. All the rest was copy and paste on Apple, down to the way Android Pay looks. It's the same UI!

All of this was pretty interesting too, and of particular value to those is less-connected (or economically poorer) areas or regions.

"...Google is today announcing offline search in its Maps application along with offline turn-by-turn voice navigation instructions. Aimed to help users in developing countries where access to data is either spotty, expensive, or both, the new features will let people use Google's services even when they don't have "super reliable connectivity." The new offline functionality is coming to Google Maps later this year, joining the YouTube Offline option (available in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam) that allows you to download and keep YouTube videos on your device for up to 48 hours. And just to round things off, Google's making big strides in optimizing data usage in its Chrome web browser as well, claiming it can now reduce data consumption by as much as 80 percent."
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Quote:

All of this was pretty interesting too, and of particular value to those is less-connected (or economically poorer) areas or regions.

"...Google is today announcing offline search in its Maps application along with offline turn-by-turn voice navigation instructions. Aimed to help users in developing countries where access to data is either spotty, expensive, or both, the new features will let people use Google's services even when they don't have "super reliable connectivity." The new offline functionality is coming to Google Maps later this year, joining the YouTube Offline option (available in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam) that allows you to download and keep YouTube videos on your device for up to 48 hours. And just to round things off, Google's making big strides in optimizing data usage in its Chrome web browser as well, claiming it can now reduce data consumption by as much as 80 percent."

There are a dozen products in all app stores that already offer offline maps.

There are already ways of (unofficially) downloading youtube videos, that obviously work in all countries.  

The data consumption reduction in Chrome is scary, need more details.  Is all this data being routed through Google?  If so, no thanks.  

• Reply 33 of 128
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistis View Post

You don't actually believe any is really free at Google do you

Sheesh

I'd rather sell my soul to the devil

You can always pay for services the traditional way through a google apps subscription.

• Reply 34 of 128
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    clemynx wrote: »

It's to the point where either platform can provide most people everything they'd look for in a phone. At this point you get to pick the phone based off of its features, and not have to settle for what's available just for the OS you want to use.

So the last couple of years, iOS has become a lot more like Android. This year, a lot of the Android features being added, iOS has had.

I wonder how the fanboys on either side are going to react.

Right now, both ecosystems provide a great experience. A lot of your choice comes down to price and hardware appearance.

And of course the group of people that want anything with an Apple logo or Android on it. ?
  • Reply 35 of 128
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Google, giving away the intellectual property of others for FREEEE. (Yeah, I know, Apple didn't invent the cloud . . . )
  • Reply 36 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

No it does not serves ads if you have ghostery and ad aware Adblock etc. installed

Only if you have the Holy Ghostery :devil: 

• Reply 37 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

There are already ways of (unofficially) downloading youtube videos, that obviously work in all countries.  

The data consumption reduction in Chrome is scary, need more details.  Is all this data being routed through Google?  If so, no thanks.  
    Why? Are ads scary? The entire internet is largely ad-supported. Who do you think pays the bills here at AI? Not you or me. It companies ranging from Apple to Zurich Insurance paying the site for access to the "anonymized you" in hopes you'll buy something from them.

With that said there are dozens of companies working behind the scenes here whose interest in who you are and what you do goes far beyond the relatively mundane advertisements that Google delivers. Also unlike Google some of them really sell the data they collect about you too. They're data-brokers rather than ad companies.
  • Reply 38 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Google is going to scan the metadata and send you ads based on it? While that may be what happens is that actually mentioned anywhere official or a guess?

No one knows what Google does with the information they harvest. I really doubt it stops at metadata. They could even do some face recognition to find out who you associate with. One thing I'm convinced of though, is that they do not sell the information they collect as so many here claim. I've been using Google since as long as they have existed and not once have I ever suspected that a third party had gained access to my information from Google. The information Google has about people is more valuable to keep for themselves than to sell it.

• Reply 39 of 128
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Non of which are nearly as good as Google Maps or used by more people.

So stealing is what you are advocating?
  • Reply 40 of 128
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    FREE is just a marketing in Google world.