FCC chairman to propose broadband subsidy for low-income Americans

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    pfisher wrote: »
    http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/corporate-welfare/corporate-welfare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/

<h5><span style="letter-spacing:-.02em;">About</span>
    <a href="http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/hud/public-housing-and-rental-subsidies" style="letter-spacing:-.02em;" target="_blank">$59</a>
    <span style="letter-spacing:-.02em;">billion is spent on traditional social welfare programs.</span>
    <a href="http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=8230" style="letter-spacing:-.02em;" target="_blank">$92</a>
    <span style="letter-spacing:-.02em;">billion is spent on corporate subsidies. So, the government spent 50% more on corporate welfare than it did on food stamps and housing assistance in 2006.</span>
    </h5>

ALL of those subsidies and market corruptions should be ended immediately.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Look, genius-stein, you have no clue what you are talking about. Did you fail economics 101? Just arbitrarily set a price and speed because it seems fair? No consideration for cost, profit, maintenance, supply or demand? All that counts is “fairness”? Unbelievable naiveté and part of the reason these scatterbrain ideas gain traction.

Verizon stole money from PA for expanding fiber in PA. Its PA's fault for leaving that loophole, but still Verizon has stopped expanding and is just keeping all the money they make without any improvements for its customers!  They are making a killing and gouging its customers like the rest of the industry!  No reason for 15/15 internet to be $74.99 a month especially with other countries having alot faster internet for more than half the price!

• Reply 43 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

ALL of those subsidies and market corruptions should be ended immediately.

Rright because ending all social services will make everyone's life better. /s Personally, I would rather my tax dollars go to helping to house the poor rather than having to step over dozens of homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks who use our public parks as a bathroom.

• Reply 44 of 68
    mstone wrote: »

The libraries close pretty early in the evening in most places. A single mom who wants to take online education has to wait until the kids are in bed to have some time to study. With the transition of many government services to online only, internet access is almost required to be a citizen. I think the goal of everyone having access to the internet is a good thing. The US should be able to afford that. The government could certainly cut some unnecessary expenditures, but caring for the citizens shouldn't be one of them. I agree the cable companies totally suck.

These "single mom" BS stories are growing tiresome. First, why did she decide to have kids with someone who wasn't going to stick around or have them out of wedlock? Seems like a poor decision on her part so I shouldn't have to help pay for her mistakes. Second, where is her family that they can't watch the kids while she takes online education? Just because she's a "single mom" doesn't mean jack to me and hardly pulls at my heartstrings. It's such an old and tired argument made by liberals.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    More "free" crap that everyone else pays for. Because having broadband is a civil right. So goes the thinking of the looney toons left.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,612member
    These "single mom" BS stories are growing tiresome. First, why did she decide to have kids with someone who wasn't going to stick around or have them out of wedlock?
    Not unusual at all unfortunately. Divorce or out-of-wedlock births even among the wealthy and/or highly educated is pretty darn common. Having a doctorate won't prevent poor judgment. But telling that single mom she made a mistake at one time in her life and will forever be treated as a second class person hardly seems fair. Believe it or not some folks make serious mistakes in their lives but learn from them and actually try to improve their lot because of it . Not referring to you of course. You've always had good judgement and made the right choices haven't you? I could never reach that level of perfection myself.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Net Neutrality was cute little baby sold to the public. Reclassification was the goal. That’s not a conspiracy theory as we can now see with this proposal to add subsidy fees to everyone’s Internet bill. Broadband will probably wind up like the wireline business, stagnant, burdened with every possible government fee (federal, state, county, municipality, village, town) they can think of. Ever look at a wireline bill lately? 30% of it is now fees and taxes. My wireline service costs $20/mo with unlimited domestic long distance. My BILL is $27.43/mo. That’s $7.43 in taxes and fees, and that adds up to 37% of the total. 

Again, a post that just conflates two completely different issues.

To suggest that regulation that attempts to rein in monopolists' ability to control pipes mutates into 37% in taxes is just silly.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Rright because ending all social services will make everyone's life better. /s Personally, I would rather my tax dollars go to helping to house the poor rather than having to step over dozens of homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks who use our public parks as a bathroom.

The problem is the people abuse the programs!  Wouldn't be bad if people actually needed help and applied, but when they have a cell phone and 12 kids I get upset along with many others!

• Reply 49 of 68
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Please, somebody STOP this entitlement mentality!  The nation does not have a "right" to broadband -- there are different speeds and prices offered by companies for a reason!  Big government types will stop at nothing to add more government intrusion into our lives and usurp our hard earned wages!  

• Reply 50 of 68
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    nevermark wrote: »
    My political philosophy is Libertarian but with Investments.  I don't believe in government charity, but I think social programs and infrastructure programs are ok if they produce a positive return for everyone.

Education is a classic case, it increases the earning power of everyone.

The Internet provides a colossal amount of free information and services.  Those without access are only going to have worse prospects over time which hurts everyone.  Education dollars spent on children will also be wasted if they don't have access to Wiki and Google.

I think the cost of Internet for the poorest will get paid back many times in increased upward mobility and higher income potential for children.

Government can screw up anything, but this looks like a legitimate investment to me.

While you make some good points and I do think that many of the broadband providers gouge people, programs like this are generally inefficient and filled with fraud.

And if it doesn't limit prices, the vendors will take the subsidy and then raise prices anyway.

I'd rather see the Government put people to work and raise the minimum wage. Then those people can pay for their own access. Or, the government can support public Wi-Fi (although much of the public WiFi I've tried is slower than a 4G or LTE connection).

Anecdotally, I see plenty of people on the NYC subways with smartphones who appear to be very low income people. While their level of poverty is not as bad as someone who lives in a shack outside of New Orleans or who lives in worst part of Detroit, before I'd support direct subsidies, I'd want to see research on how many people have a device, but not broadband access, and want it in a region where broadband is available.

If there is any subsidy at all, it should be for companies to provide broadband to low-population areas where it doesn't currently exist and is unlikely to in the next 10 years and that can be a break on taxes paid rather than direct payment.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

These "single mom" BS stories are growing tiresome. First, why did she decide to have kids with someone who wasn't going to stick around or have them out of wedlock? Seems like a poor decision on her part so I shouldn't have to help pay for her mistakes. Second, where is her family that they can't watch the kids while she takes online education? Just because she's a "single mom" doesn't mean jack to me and hardly pulls at my heartstrings. It's such an old and tired argument made by liberals.

I'd like to live in a society where everyone is healthy, educated and employed. Of course that is probably not attainable in the near future but taking away opportunities is not the direction that will get us there.

• Reply 52 of 68
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Not unusual at all unfortunately. Divorce or out-of-wedlock births even among the wealthy and/or highly educated is pretty darn common. Having a doctorate won't prevent poor judgment. But telling that single mom she made a mistake at one time in her life and will forever be treated as a second class person hardly seems fair. Believe it or not some folks make serious mistakes in their lives but learn from them and actually try to improve their lot because of it . Not referring to you of course. You've always had good judgement and made the right choices haven't you? I could never reach that level of perfection myself.

Again, rewarding poor judgment is not beneficial for anyone.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    mstone wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with you as an individual contributing to others. Why must everyone be forced to "help"?
  • Reply 54 of 68
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    Ridiculous! Comcast (the only provider in my area) sucks!

Comcast is THE worst company I have ever dealt with!
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's nothing wrong with you as an individual contributing to others. Why must everyone be forced to "help"?

The obvious answer is for the good of society. The only way you are going to avoid paying taxes is to stop earning money or find someplace that does not belong to any country because they all charge taxes. Didn't you want to do some ocean homesteading? 

• Reply 56 of 68
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    smurfman wrote: »
    Great, more tax money burdening the middle class for a pointless governmental cause.

Besides, if you want computer and our internet access, that's what the public library is for that we already pay for!!!. The corner is already trillions in debt and what to they want to do? More freebies of course. Anything to buy more votes. Like everything else fraud will be rampant no matter what b.s. they say. Anyone with half a brain knows what's going on.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member

Where I live, Comcast's regular $80 non-special internet price gets you 150 mbps.  If I just wanted 50mbps, it would cost about $50 or cheaper if I went on a limited term "special deal".

• Reply 58 of 68
    More theft justified through government.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/corporate-welfare/corporate-welfare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/

About $59 billion is spent on traditional social welfare programs. $92 billion is spent on corporate subsidies. So, the government spent 50% more on corporate welfare than it did on food stamps and housing assistance in 2006.

More liberal propaganda. Liberals want us to believe that tax breaks to corporations or the rich is the same as "spending" or "robbing from the poor". It cost the government nothing to take in less in taxes. A tax break or tax refund is not government spending. Letting people keep more of the money that they earn is not an expense. While social programs to people who receives more in government subsidies than they pay in taxes actually cost the government something. Liberals some how thinks that the poor is entitle to all the money that corporations and the rich makes. Therefore, tax breaks or tax refunds is the same as the government robbing from the poor. 

• Reply 60 of 68
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,105member

I'm sure Google would be interested in funding a program like this. The only problem is that this program is for the poor and Google has no interest in data mining the personal information of people that have no money to spend. Not too many advertisers are going to pay Google to advertise to people that don't have the money to buy the products they're advertising.