Elite Chinese university allegedly ripped off Apple's Touch ID logo for anniversary celebration

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hillstones wrote: »
    He's not insane. Actually, AI should be ashamed for this BS article because Apple did not create the Touch ID icon. It is a public domain stock image. Apple did not create the look of a simulated fingerprint. You can obtain the free use image from shutterstock.com. 1000

Yeah... See, the artist credited on Shutterstock as your source has a load of images that are obvious rip offs of other styles. As there is no credited creation date on that fingerprint image, I'd bet just about anything that this is a blatant copyright violation that just hasn't been seen by Apple yet. Apple doesn't buy imagery from Shutterstock.

http://m.shutterstock.com/contributor/Physicx/2655445
  • Reply 42 of 99
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

He's not insane. Actually, AI should be ashamed for this BS article because Apple did not create the Touch ID icon. It is a public domain stock image. Apple did not create the look of a simulated fingerprint. You can obtain the free use image from shutterstock.com.

No. That there at upper right is a stylized imitation of Apple's Touch ID logo, created by a Shutterstock user who signed up a year after Touch ID was introduced by Apple. There is no overlap at all — every single break in the lines is in a different place than on Apple's logo.

As can be seen in Post #11 above, the Chinese university's logo is in fact EXACTLY the Touch ID logo, flipped and ever-so-slightly altered, with a couple extra lines added at the top.

• Reply 43 of 99
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    No two fingerprints are alike...

On another note:

13345675655 = 18345675695
  • Reply 44 of 99
    Slow news day ...
  • Reply 45 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

No two fingerprints are alike...

This is probably true but cannot be proven.

• Reply 46 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I'd bet just about anything that this is a blatant copyright violation that just hasn't been seen by Apple yet. Apple doesn't buy imagery from Shutterstock.

That can't be ruled out. It wouldn't be the first time they'd licensed (or I assume they paid for a license) to stock art for an i-Feature intro.
    http://www.istockphoto.com/photo/multicolored-eye-macro-5733150
  • Reply 47 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That can't be ruled out. It wouldn't be the first time they'd licensed (or I assume they paid for a license) to stock art for an i-Feature intro.

http://www.istockphoto.com/photo/multicolored-eye-macro-5733150

In this case, however, the Shutterstock image was created by a user who didn't even sign up until the year after Touch ID was introduced, and the image is an entirely different one, created in imitation. 

• Reply 48 of 99
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Okay lets not forget even in the US University and School are exampt from copyright and trademark infringment, they get to use any copyright or trademark item under the fairuse provision of the law. They can freely copy and use copywrited items as they see fit.

Why do we care they a Chinesse University is doing what any US School could also do.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    spheric wrote: »

In this case, however, the Shutterstock image was created by a user who didn't even sign up until the year after Touch ID was introduced, and the image is an entirely different one, created in imitation. 
    In this case my bet would be the same as yours.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

It doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Trademark laws and courts consider factors whether or not the there are substantial similarities that would lead an ordinary user to believe product or service is from the same company.

• Reply 51 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

It doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Trademark laws and courts consider factors whether or not the there are substantial similarities that would lead an ordinary user to believe product or service is from the same company.

As far as I know Apple does not have a trademark on Touch ID.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/15/uspto-denies-apples-touch-id-trademark-cites-possible-confusion-with-timecard-system

• Reply 52 of 99
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mstone wrote: »

According to current records, Apple owns the trademark for "Touch ID": http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:qxyq6q.2.1
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

AI should do a little photoshop work here - flip it over and line it up, and *show* us the similarities...don't just tell us.

Why? Are you having that hard of a time seeing the similarities?

• Reply 54 of 99
    According to current records, Apple owns the trademark for "Touch ID": http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4807:qxyq6q.2.1
    Are you sure it's not a pending application you've found? I just took a quick look and didn't see an issued trademark right off.

EDIT: Not issued according to this:
    http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86176178&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
    Status: A non-final Office action has been sent (issued) to the applicant. This is a letter from the examining attorney requiring additional information and/or making an initial refusal. The applicant must respond to this Office action. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page.

Update 2: and Apple's application for a trademark on Touch ID was refused.
    "Status: A final Office action refusing registration has been sent (issued) because the applicant neither satisfied nor overcame all requirements and/or refusals previously raised. The applicant may respond by filing (1) a request for reconsideration; and/or (2) an appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page."
    http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86176209&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
  • Reply 55 of 99
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah... See, the artist credited on Shutterstock as your source has a load of images that are obvious rip offs of other styles. As there is no credited creation date on that fingerprint image, I'd bet just about anything that this is a blatant copyright violation that just hasn't been seen by Apple yet. Apple doesn't buy imagery from Shutterstock.

Apple didn't have to buy the image.  Do you work for Apple?  How do you know where they got their inspiration for the same exact image?  Apple made a few tweaks with Photoshop, but you are too ignorant to realize that.  The mock image of a fingerprint is not intellectual property or copyright.  Nobody stole anything.  This is an allegation by AI, not any valid source.  Look at your own thumb and you could claim Apple stole the likeness of your thumbprint to make the icon.  It is really sad what you people believe.

• Reply 56 of 99
    I love the original Apple fingerprint icon, but I'm quite sure it wasn't just thrown down in five minutes. There had to be a lot of sketching, more sketching, creating the logo in a vector drawing program, lots and lots of refinement to get the curves just right, etc. Logo design is an undervalued skill partly because people don't realize how much work is done before the final design is presented. And with the advent of five dollar logo design sites we're bound to see more and more of this thievery.
    simple-logo.com
  • Reply 57 of 99
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Anyone with eyeballs can clearly see they are near identical designs.

yes they're very similar but not identical. an overlay would reveal how similar. that would be a value-add on the part of the reporting, rather than just relaying.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then you don't know the meaning of the word 'same'. Similar yes, the same no.

Yes but if I copy a copywrited text and use a thesaurus to change a couple words and push it as my work, it's still plagiarism.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

yes they're very similar but not identical. an overlay would reveal how similar. that would be a value-add on the part of the reporting, rather than just relaying.

If you follow the link to the original Kotaku source article (or alternatively just read the thread you're replying to), you'll see that an overlay has been made.

The value you're missing was actually already added to the reporting. You've just managed to completely miss it.

• Reply 60 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple didn't have to buy the image.  Do you work for Apple?  How do you know where they got their inspiration for the same exact image?  Apple made a few tweaks with Photoshop, but you are too ignorant to realize that.  The mock image of a fingerprint is not intellectual property or copyright.  Nobody stole anything.  This is an allegation by AI, not any valid source.  Look at your own thumb and you could claim Apple stole the likeness of your thumbprint to make the icon.  It is really sad what you people believe.

Them's mighty big words for someone who a) hasn't looked through the thread and seen the image where the two logos are overlaid and b) hasn't the slightest clue how copyright works, and what constitutes an original artwork. 

Also, the image you're referring to was uploaded a year after Apple introduced the Touch ID logo.