Elite Chinese university allegedly ripped off Apple's Touch ID logo for anniversary celebration

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Why? Are you having that hard of a time seeing the similarities?

because it's of interest -- whether the actual image was repurposed digitally, or whether they simply looked at the Touch ID logo and recreated their own.

from the photoshop post somebody made, doing exactly as I thought would be useful, it shows that it is not the exact image merely flipped. somebody actually created a new vector image and changed stroke lengths and widths. contrary to what some you may believe, you can't issue a command to Illustrstor to have it slightly modify a file. you can to spend time doing it yourself -- making shapes, editing paths, etc.

to me, knowing the extent of the copy is a value-add that id expect a news org to perform while reporting.

but thanks for your concern.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    spheric wrote: »

If you follow the link to the original Kotaku source article (or alternatively just read the thread you're replying to), you'll see that an overlay has been made.

The value you're missing was actually already added to the reporting. You've just managed to completely miss it.

my post in this thread precedes the post to this thread that includes the image. durrrr.

I did not read the source article because unless it's significant I read this site for its content, not the referring link of mildly interesting content. if you're unhappy with my content absorption methods, please, take it up with my manager.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    stargazerctstargazerct Posts: 227member
    I'm working on a new logo. It's really rough at this point and still have to come up with a company name. The icon is a little different than the source  from where I got the inspiration. Mine is the one on the right. Notice the extra blue highlights at the top and bottom and how I decided not to carry some of the others all the way around the globe. Do you think I'll have any legal problems?

*Disclaimer. This is meant for amusement only. The AT&T logo is a trademark of AT&T and I am in now way going to use the "my logo" identity for any reason whatsoever. As a designer, I have a little more integrity than my Chinese counterparts.

• Reply 64 of 99
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Come on..... Its different enough and whats the big deal ?
  • Reply 65 of 99
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

my post in this thread precedes the post to this thread that includes the image. durrrr.

I did not read the source article because unless it's significant I read this site for its content, not the referring link of mildly interesting content. if you're unhappy with my content absorption methods, please, take it up with my manager.

You were the one who was unhappy as a result of your content absorption methods. 

I merely pointed out who was to blame. ;)

• Reply 66 of 99
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    because it's of interest -- whether the actual image was repurposed digitally, or whether they simply looked at the Touch ID logo and recreated their own.

from the photoshop post somebody made, doing exactly as I thought would be useful, it shows that it is not the exact image merely flipped. somebody actually created a new vector image and changed stroke lengths and widths. contrary to what some you may believe, you can't issue a command to Illustrstor to have it slightly modify a file. you can to spend time doing it yourself -- making shapes, editing paths, etc.

to me, knowing the extent of the copy is a value-add that id expect a news org to perform while reporting.

but thanks for your concern, sport.

The gaps/breaks in the curves are in the same spots! They flipped it, added a layer, traced it and deleted the original. It's a copy.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Carly Fiorina, what do you think of this?
  • Reply 68 of 99
    It's like they combined Touch ID and Spotify's logo.

On another note, I'm really going to miss Top Gear.
  • Reply 69 of 99
    spheric wrote: »
    You were the one who was unhappy as a result of your content absorption methods. 

I merely pointed out who was to blame. ;)

incorrect. at no point have i indicated im unhappy.

what i pointed out was there would be value-add for the readers of this site were they to post some sort of relevant visual overlay.

that you feel a need to make this a champion-issue for yourself is most curious.
  • Reply 70 of 99
    jungmark wrote: »
    The gaps/breaks in the curves are in the same spots! They flipped it, added a layer, traced it and deleted the original. It's a copy.

which is not the same as using the original image. thats the question i was interested in. anything else youre trying to infer is on you, and not relevant to what ive said in my posts.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Hey at least they flipped it. So more "mirrored" than "copied"....
  • Reply 72 of 99
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

*Disclaimer. This is meant for amusement only. The AT&T logo is a trademark of AT&T and I am in now way going to use the "my logo" identity for any reason whatsoever. As a designer, I have a little more integrity than my Chinese counterparts.

Exactly, and AT&T would send you a cease and desist letter. Some folks here just don't get it.

There's enough similarities to cause confusion in the market. I would think Apple has a case should the decide to take action and assuming they have a trademark in place.

• Reply 73 of 99
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Apple paid $21 million to Mondaine Swiss Clock for using their clock on iOS6.

Despite the fact that the hands on the dials are noticeably thinner and not tapered.

http://www.cnet.com/news/time-is-money-apple-pays-21m-for-clock-design-says-report/

• Reply 74 of 99
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Exactly, and AT&T would send you a cease and desist letter. Some folks here just don't get it.

There's enough similarities to cause confusion in the market. I would think Apple has a case should the decide to take action and assuming they have a trademark in place.

You guys should stop arguing on this BS topic because people will laugh at you. Show me the flipping overlap image: no, it's NOT overlapping. BTW, all fingerprint patterns look similar, but not the same. In this is, similar, not the same. If Apple patented this shi.t, people would laugh at them...because it's PATENT TROLL.

• Reply 75 of 99
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Apple paid $21 million to Mondaine Swiss Clock for using their clock on iOS6.

Despite the fact that the hands on the dials are noticeably thinner and not tapered.

http://www.cnet.com/news/time-is-money-apple-pays-21m-for-clock-design-says-report/

Yeah, there're millions faces of clocks, Apple chose the exact one that Swiss had. So, no question about that. Tell me when you press your fingerprint on paper, how does it look? Round with pattern, right? Apple can patent the pattern, not the round shape. Get it?

• Reply 76 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then you don't know the meaning of the word 'same'. Similar yes, the same no.

careful - Relic busted my chops when he thought i was correcting someones post, when i was in fact trying to make clever wordplay.

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Yeah, there're millions faces of clocks, Apple chose the exact one that Swiss had. So, no question about that. Tell me when you press your fingerprint on paper, how does it look? Round with pattern, right? Apple can patent the pattern, not the round shape. Get it?

Yeah, there are millions of fingerprints. This university chose the exact one that Apple uses for touch ID. then mirrored it. Get it?

• Reply 77 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

careful - Relic busted my chops when he thought i was correcting someones post,

"She", not "he"
  • Reply 78 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"She", not "he"

my apologies, especially to Relic  - i am reminded now of a long but interesting couple of posts she made some time ago, i think sleep (or lack of) was an influence - but they were an interesting read.

• Reply 79 of 99
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member

It is clear that some people don't know the meaning of the word 'shame'. 

Ripping off other people's work is a way of life for some cultures. There is no shame attached to stealing as long as the thief makes money.

• Reply 80 of 99
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

You could get a cease and desist letter for stealing Louis Armstrong's nickname, but the demand is not proof or even evidence that the demand is valid.