Elite Chinese university allegedly ripped off Apple's Touch ID logo for anniversary celebration

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

incorrect. at no point have i indicated im unhappy.

what i pointed out was there would be value-add for the readers of this site were they to post some sort of relevant visual overlay.

that you feel a need to make this a champion-issue for yourself is most curious.

Yep, you felt uncomfortable enough to need to point something out that had already been taken care of. 

That whole ordeal could have been spared, had you simply opted for more effective content-parsing methods. 

Let this be a lesson. ;)

(Also, I think it's safe to say that you and I do not share the same sense of humour, and would probably both do well to keep that in mind for the future)

• Reply 82 of 99
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

careful - Relic busted my chops when he thought i was correcting someones post, when i was in fact trying to make clever wordplay.

Yeah, there are millions of fingerprints. This university chose the exact one that Apple uses for touch ID. then mirrored it. Get it?

You better look at it again. The patterns are not flipping whatsoever. Need new eye prescription?

• Reply 83 of 99
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You better look at it again. The patterns are not flipping whatsoever. Need new eye prescription?

You didn't see the overlaid image on page 1 and in the Kotaku source article? It's exactly the same, traced, and flipped horizontally.

• Reply 84 of 99
    Quote:

who loves ya baby  "...a picture paints thousand words"

• Reply 85 of 99
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

You guys should stop arguing on this BS topic because people will laugh at you. Show me the flipping overlap image: no, it's NOT overlapping. BTW, all fingerprint patterns look similar, but not the same. In this is, similar, not the same. If Apple patented this shi.t, people would laugh at them...because it's PATENT TROLL.

You still don't get it do you? 

It doesn't have to be the same. How many times do I have to say this?

Similar is enough for infringement.

It's not whether or not a fingerprint can or cannot be patented. It can't.

But a design can be. The image in question is a stylized graphic representation of a fingerprint. Just like a logo would be.

So the design/graphic is patentable. Get it?

• Reply 86 of 99
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

But a design can be. The image in question is a stylized graphic representation of a fingerprint. Just like a logo would be.

Oh...then you have to sue android for every little icon they have on their UI because many icons look almost the same as iOS.

• Reply 87 of 99
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member
    Quote:

You guys should stop arguing on this BS topic because people will laugh at you. Show me the flipping overlap image: no, it's NOT overlapping. BTW, all fingerprint patterns look similar, but not the same. In this is, similar, not the same. If Apple patented this shi.t, people would laugh at them...because it's PATENT TROLL.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

who loves ya baby  "...a picture paints thousand words"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

fallenjt refuses to read the article and doesn't understand the basics of design, or see that there is a difference between a real 'thing' and a 'stylized representation' of it.

Ferrari does not own the letters in its name, or physical things like curves and angles. So, according to these people, I should be free to create a car that resembles a Ferrari, call it a Ferrari, and sell it without any repercussion from Ferrari. After all, nobody would confuse the car I am selling for $50K out of my garage with a real Ferrari that sells for >$200K at a Ferrari dealership. I should be good, right?!!!

• Reply 88 of 99
    Quote:

Oh...then you have to sue android for every little icon they have on their UI because many icons look almost the same as iOS.

Refer back to the post I made about the Swiss Modaine clock icon.

If there's enough money to be had, or/and confusion, companies will act.

In this case, it's probably not worth it for Apple. 

• Reply 89 of 99
    bobschlob wrote: »

Ha! You're so dumb that you think a graphic logo is an actual fingerprint?

cali wrote: »
    These are the type of people who live their lives plagiarizing and get through life stealing. They defend copying because they're too cheap to buy an iPhone or brand name goods.

And NO it's not a real fingerprint.
    *facepalm*

No fucking shit it's not a real fingerprint, where did I ever say it was?

Holy room temp IQ in here. fucking fanboys. Ugh
  • Reply 90 of 99
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Oh! Come on!  Samsung Galaxy S6 fingerprint scanner setup works exactly the same as iPhone Touch ID.  I have not heard Apple accusing Samsung of blatant IP theft.  http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-the-fingerprint-scanner-on-the-galaxy-s6-s6-edge/

AI staff has lost common senses.  You so vehemently accuse a nonprofit Chinese University of blatant IP theft.  Yet you made no mention of a Korean business implementing the same thing on its flagship phone.  Further, this article uses Chinese enterprise as example of IP theft.  This is a method of generalization which is racism.  

• Reply 91 of 99
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Oh! Come on!  Samsung Galaxy S6 fingerprint scanner setup works exactly the same as iPhone Touch ID.  I have not heard Apple accusing Samsung of blatant IP theft.  http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-the-fingerprint-scanner-on-the-galaxy-s6-s6-edge/

AI staff has lost common senses.  You so vehemently accuse a nonprofit Chinese University of blatant IP theft.  Yet you made no mention of a Korean business implementing the same thing on its flagship phone.  Further, this article uses Chinese enterprise as example of IP theft.  This is a method of generalization which is racist.  

This is a story about a direct ripoff of the Touch ID graphic by this university.

• Reply 92 of 99
    Quote:

I have not heard Apple accusing Samsung of blatant IP theft. 

You can't be bloody serious. 

• Reply 93 of 99
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is a story about a direct ripoff of the Touch ID graphic by this university.

Are you short sighted?  The two graphs in the article are not identical.  

• Reply 94 of 99
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then you don't know the meaning of the word 'same'. Similar yes, the same no.

Yes but if I copy a copywrited text and use a thesaurus to change a couple words and push it as my work, it's still plagiarism.

I definitely consider this plagiarism.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

No fucking shit it's not a real fingerprint, where did I ever say it was?

Holy room temp IQ in here. fucking fanboys. Ugh

thanks, you helped bring the the temperature of this heated conversation down.

• Reply 96 of 99
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

AI staff has lost common senses.  You so vehemently accuse a nonprofit Chinese University of blatant IP theft.  Yet you made no mention of a Korean business implementing the same thing on its flagship phone.  Further, this article uses Chinese enterprise as example of IP theft.  This is a method of generalization which is racism.  

One is a trademark and one is a patent, they are completely different in what you need to do to avoid infringement. 

• Reply 97 of 99
  • Reply 98 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spock1234 View Post

It is clear that some people don't know the meaning of the word 'shame'. 

Ripping off other people's work is a way of life for some cultures. There is no shame attached to stealing as long as the thief makes money.

I guess that would explain why there's so much copying / stealing of existing ideas and technology in China. That's apparently what they're taught to do at their elite universities.

Anyway, in the United States, it appears simply photographing another person's photograph and blowing it up really big constitutes original artwork worth hundreds of thousands of dollars!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/arts/design/06prin.html?_r=1& and

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2015/05/richard-prince-is-a-jerk/

• Reply 99 of 99
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    What's dumb is it's not a particularly good logo for the purpose. It looks like a western attempt at stylized Chinese calligraphy in that setting. Which is dumb since anyone Chinese would know it's just weirdly shaped curves with no meaning...it's not like its all that recognizable as a fingerprint.

What is it supposed to be anyway? Stylized rice paddies? What does it have to do with the age or history of the institution?