Google I/O 2015 sets a low bar for Apple's WWDC to leap

Comments

• Reply 21 of 295
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm using it now and find it needlessly confusing and poorly thought out. The icons are essentially meaningless and it's difficult to find the full functionality of the service by clicking around. On the plus side, unlimited storage for their reduced file size is great and 14 GB free for full-size pictures is outstanding. Apple needs to at least offer something on par with this and they could easily beat Google with the UI.

True. Google apps are usually confusing as hell, and definitely unintuitive for everyone except hardcore geeks. However, I must admit the "things" view is pretty fucking impressive. Creepy, but impressive. Almost completely obsoletes the need to do any manual tagging or organization. Helped me find stuff I thought I'd lost. I do hope Apple implements these kinds of algorithms at home point.

• Reply 22 of 295
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Google I/O was never a 'bar' for WWDC in any way, shape, or form except in some deranged Android fantasy.
  • Reply 23 of 295
    I know I am going to get ripped apart but maybe I can help at least present a different point of view. Starting with fragmentation, it is not Google's fault there is so much fragmentation, all of Google's supported devices are on the latest version of Android. So comparing iOS to Android as a whole is mis representing the facts. The problem is that other hardware manufacturers need time to make Android work on their hardware. Make the kernel work, make their apps work and put their own spin on the OS. Google wants to cut down on that so more people can have the latest version faster. It is an incredible effort to upgrade devices and frankly few people actually care. They want their phones to work and just like with iOS updates Android updates always have problems and for the average person that disruption can even be enough to make them switch brands. The kinds of people who read these articles know how to handle upgrade issues and mitigate their effects but we are very much in the minority. It's just a business and customer satisfaction thing.

As for the claims that Google and the tech journalists are pumping up Android by citing the number of handsets shipped as evidence of superiority is completely true. Again I am an Android guy but I can't pretend that this isn't the exact same scenario as I just pointed out about fragmentation. If you measure handsets sold to the common target market I believe Apple wins. However, the author is too quick to write off the customers in these developing countries and of lower financial means. I hope the author reads this and really sees this as more than a fan boy bullshit thing. Those undesirable customers are now brand loyal. They are being introduced into a whole new world of access to information that they never had before. Historically this has lead to the improvement of quality of living. By helping these people they will be enabled to create and it will lead to revolutions for these places. Farmers can now research better practices. Kids can access online resources to enhance their learning. Apple has made zero effort to reach these people and that's okay because it's not in their mission statement, as a company that is way out of their zone. Apple and Google are two extremely different companies and as entertaining as it is to pit them against each other, in the real world where things matter they are nothing alike. I could go on forever but I really hope I can at least open people up to a different point of view on these subjects.
  • Reply 24 of 295

What I'd like to see that would really make everyone in the audience drop their jaws and gasp?

- Safari performance improvements and some method of page caching so memory is no longer an issue. Keep multiple tabs open and never wait for a page refresh.

- Safari extensions. Would be difficult to do properly (memory constraints and security), but WOW what a huge deal this would be.

- Proactive (as mentioned).

- iOS 9 performance enhancements for older devices (as mentioned).

- Even better Enterprise features (like a work/home setting on your device). Could be handled either by allowing multiple users (accounts) or just having a single user but two settings.

- Touch ID for each App. Put this in Permissions. When activated, an App won't open when selected until you use Touch ID. Apps don't even need to be coded to take advantage of this - iOS can handle it for you. Great way to secure certain Apps from prying eyes. You could even add Touch ID for folders.

• Reply 25 of 295
    Google Photos allows Google to use your photos for advertising. Read the TOS.

This is a piece of garbage service from a terrible company. Consider yourselves informed.
    Google is a business, they don't actually give away anything for free, it just doesn't cost money so the word free is allowed to be used. Nothing is free, Google allows you to store your pictures on their servers at no monetary cost and in return they get to use it if they think it will be of use to them. Servers cost a lot of money, Google needs to make money, that's how businesses work. They aren't a terrible company, as a matter of fact they are such a good company that they have devised a way to provide a service without charging that can still make them money.
  • Reply 26 of 295
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Google I/O was never a 'bar' for WWDC in any way, shape, or form except in some deranged Android fantasy.

Exactly. Just looking over their schedules and seeing the sheer number of sessions/hours that are available at WWDC should make this abundantly clear to anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense. WWDC dwarfs I/O from a developers perspective.

The fact Apple sends 1,000 engineers is quite amazing. Those engineers for the one week they attend WWDC represent 19 man-years (this doesn't even include the time they spend preparing for WWDC). That's a significant chunk of resources that could have been spent working on actual Apple products/services that gets donated to help developers instead.

• Reply 27 of 295
    bill304bill304 Posts: 2member
    clexman wrote: »
    Apple's 5GB free per account needs to go away. iCloud Photos is useless without paying for storage. The sync your entire library or nothing setup is terrible. I would prefer if the last XX days were saved on my devices at full resolution and older photos were resized. The non-stop uploading/downloading is a pain when I want to send someone a picture I took last week.

If Appleinsider wants to be a news source, they need to be impartial. Just saying Google sucks and Apple is awesome gets old.

Google being locked out of China while Apple is not, should not be something to brag about. Caving to a communist country with ongoing civil rights violations' demands shows that Google made the right move pulling out of China.

Apple Maps has a long way to go. It will be a few more years until it catches up to Google Maps (If they can).

You can't complain about Google stealing ideas from Apple, when Apple is one of the biggest, "Me Too," companies out there. Maps on phones, Google first Apple second. Mobile payments, Google first Apple second. Big phones, Google first Apple second. Photo editing software that syncs to the web, Google first Apple second.

Wow, in that case, google is complete idiot. Even though, they started mobile payment on 2011, they couldn't make many user because their payment service was totally mediocre. And of course! I almost forgot. They released smart watches earlier than apple. But they couldn't open up the smart watch market before apple because their "innovative" new smart watch OS was so broken that no one want to wear those device.

In fact, I never saw any google service that had succed after its release except android and chrome OS since 2010. They always start first (google wallet, google TV, android TV, android wear, their own subscription streaming service, google plus, google glass, Nexus Q etc) and never success first because of their poor quality
  • Reply 28 of 295
    Google Photos allows Google to use your photos for advertising. Read the TOS.

This is a piece of garbage service from a terrible company. Consider yourselves informed.
    First and foremost Google is a business. Businesses at their most basic form are organizations formed with the intention of making money. Google isn't going to just give you free storage for your pictures and eat the losses. Instead of charging you they are going to use your pictures to make money. It's ingenious because frankly nobody will pay money for it, they'llgladly give up their pictures though.
  • Reply 29 of 295
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Thats a fact Jack!

• Reply 30 of 295
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    clexman wrote: »
    Apple's 5GB free per account needs to go away. iCloud Photos is useless without paying for storage. The sync your entire library or nothing setup is terrible. I would prefer if the last XX days were saved on my devices at full resolution and older photos were resized. The non-stop uploading/downloading is a pain when I want to send someone a picture I took last week.

If Appleinsider wants to be a news source, they need to be impartial. Just saying Google sucks and Apple is awesome gets old.

Google being locked out of China while Apple is not, should not be something to brag about. Caving to a communist country with ongoing civil rights violations' demands shows that Google made the right move pulling out of China.

Apple Maps has a long way to go. It will be a few more years until it catches up to Google Maps (If they can).

You can't complain about Google stealing ideas from Apple, when Apple is one of the biggest, "Me Too," companies out there. Maps on phones, Google first Apple second. Mobile payments, Google first Apple second. Big phones, Google first Apple second. Photo editing software that syncs to the web, Google first Apple second.

This person is so misinformed I feel sad for them. Literally :(

You really think the largest spy company in the world pulled out of china and allowed other iPhonies to profit off their OS?? XD

Yeah Apple really wanted to copy Maps. Totally had nothing to do with the fact they had no choice but to replace apps made by their enemy after being back stabbed.

A bigger iPhone is innovative? LMFAO!!!

Guess what droids?!!
    The Giggling is OVER. Apple made Giggle BILLIONS and got repayed by having the iPhone concept stolen.

IT IS OVER. expect every damn Giggle effort to be replaced by Apple.
    I cannot wait until Search comes and brings this lying, unethical spy corporation to its knees!!
  • Reply 31 of 295
    cali wrote: »

You really think the largest spy company in the world pulled out of china and allowed other iPhonies to profit off their OS?? XD

Yeah Apple really wanted to copy Maps. Totally had nothing to do with the fact they had no choice but to replace apps made by their enemy after being back stabbed.

Guess what droids?!!
    The Giggling is OVER. Apple made Giggle BILLIONS and got repayed by having the iPhone concept stolen.

I cannot wait until Search comes and brings this lying, unethical spy corporation to its knees!!
    Since you're so well informed I'm sure you're aware that Google said no to the Chinese government when asked to limit free speech and sensor search results. And since you're also so well informed I'm convinced that you don't need me to mention that Amazon profits off of Android and Google doesn't see a dime of it. And while I am at it you probably didn't really mean to say "Droid" to refer to Android since "Droid" is a brand name used primarily by Motorola on their various devices. But since you are so well informed I probably just wasted my own time.
  • Reply 32 of 295
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    ecats wrote: »
    It seems I'm not the only one that thought google's IO was either yawn-inducing, or transparent attempts at upping the level of privacy invasion seemingly solely for the purpose of further profiling customers.

Many aspects remind me of Microsoft when they had ran out of ideas.

Lots of Microsoft folks are working at Google now and it shows
  • Reply 33 of 295
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Google Photos is mind blowing. Unlimited storage and free. This was the big news at I/O. It will be a smash hit.

Delusional quite delusional on so many levels!

You know what is so great about this poster is he exemplifies all the hoards of tech nerds who think that all is well with android and taken in by the Google hype and general smugness and it bodes so well for Apple because it's exactly the same denial situation that Microsoft found itself in 5 years ago when it had 90% of the desktop PC market Microsoft is now down to 30% of the market if one includes mobile and dropping. Microsoft has become irrelevant. Google will be in pretty much the same boat in a few years and still in denial at which point they will fire their equivalent of ceo Balmer and replace him with someone who is not in denial. Only by then it will be too late and Facebook and all the other threats will have pretty much destroyed Google . Once the share price starts dropping and Wall Street abandons their darling The sell off will be brutal for Google. it ain't going to be pretty, when the money dries up . I wouldn't be surprised if Google goes bankrupt.
  • Reply 34 of 295
    pistis wrote: »

You know what is so great about this poster is he exemplifies all the hoards of tech nerds who think that all is well with android and taken in by the Google hype and general smugness and it bodes so well for Apple because it's exactly the same denial situation that Microsoft found itself in 5 years ago when it had 90% of the desktop PC market Microsoft is now down to 30% of the market if one includes mobile and dropping. Microsoft has become irrelevant. Google will be in pretty much the same boat in a few years and still in denial at which point they will fire their equivalent of ceo Balmer and replace him with someone who is not in denial. Only by then it will be too late and Facebook and all the other threats will have pretty much destroyed Google . Once the share price starts dropping and Wall Street abandons their darling Google it ain't going to be pretty I wouldn't be surprised if Google goes bankrupt.
    With the overall diversity of the company you really wouldn't be shocked if they went bankrupt? That wouldn't at all surprise you even a little bit? It would shock me considering they ship devices to markets that Apple hasn't even touched and frankly won't touch. On top of that Chromebooks are expected to have large growth in sales. Idk where you get your information but I think you're approach this narrow minded.
  • Reply 35 of 295
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

You know what is so great about this poster is he exemplifies all the hoards of tech nerds who think that all is well with android and taken in by the Google hype and general smugness and it bodes so well for Apple because it's exactly the same denial situation that Microsoft found itself in 5 years ago when it had 90% of the desktop PC market Microsoft is now down to 30% of the market if one includes mobile and dropping. Microsoft has become irrelevant. Google will be in pretty much the same boat in a few years and still in denial at which point they will fire their equivalent of ceo Balmer and replace him with someone who is not in denial. Only by then it will be too late and Facebook and all the other threats will have pretty much destroyed Google . Once the share price starts dropping and Wall Street abandons their darling The sell off will be brutal for Google. it ain't going to be pretty, when the money dries up . I wouldn't be surprised if Google goes bankrupt.

I own an iPhone 6 Plus and have never touched an Android. Your stereotyping is laughable.
  • Reply 36 of 295
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    [SIZE=4]M is for "Meatloaf again?"[/SIZE]
  • Reply 37 of 295
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Funny that I was going to write almost the same troubles headed Google's way. This after reading about an impending tech bubble that apparently is on its way and is supposedly going to be brutal to not yet IPOed entities like Uber, AirBNB and Pinterest among others. Because Google is so proud to toot the "we operate our business like a hungry startup", unfortunate for them that they may just get included in that group when reconsidering"real world" valuations.

Just like Amazon, some day soon Google is going to be called to task to start making profits for their investors, from all of their Beta, free services, and experiments.

Most worrisome is who is Google going to sacrifice first: its user's private data, or its partners in crime by charging for Android and Google services? I'm doing my best to stay neutral and optomistic, but my gut instinct tells me the easiest road will be traveled, and I think we all know which one that will be.
  • Reply 38 of 295
    belugabeluga Posts: 83member
    cali wrote: »

Guess what droids?!!

One has to look hard among comments to find an impartial view of things amongst a sea of everything non apple haters.

I am a big fan of apple and own lots if it's devices and praise it to friends but the way people act (like this guy) who won't take a tiny bit of criticism against Apple is ridiculous. No other company gets a single thing right but Apple. Sure.

Let's all gather and praise Apple and curse all others and call it a day.
  • Reply 39 of 295
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    In addition to my post above, IMHO Google is not "selling our data" as many like to think here on this forum... yet. I agree with the much maligned Gator Guy that at this time, there's no good and valid reason for Google to give away their most valuable asset.

However, our data IS Google's most valuable asset by far and the scariest for a lot of us is that by simply "uncommenting" a few pieces of code and adding a few SQL queries to it's databases, Google *could* scrape together the most complete profile of every single person that has ever used, or integrated their services in their day-to-day lives.

Those particular profiles are beyond the comprehension of monetary value to both advertisers... and adversaries such as our very own New World Order governments.
  • Reply 40 of 295
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Google's big strength right now seems to be machine learning. I don't even think they care about Android anymore. It's all about the cloud now.