Google I/O 2015 sets a low bar for Apple's WWDC to leap

Comments

• Reply 61 of 295
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Oh sure.

But this particular legal-speak is referring to photos and what they have to do with them in order to be a photo storage and sharing service.

If a photo service could not "display" a photo... it wouldn't be very useful, right? image

Well.. if it make you sleep better at night... Believes whatever you want to believe.

Notices this also

Quote:

This license continues even if you stop using our Services

Once it's uploaded, it's theirs.

• Reply 62 of 295
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    undefined
  • Reply 63 of 295
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Oh I'd love it if Apple dropped the bomb and gave everyone huge amounts of free iCloud storage.

But I don't think that's gonna happen since they recently updated the pricing schedule.

I was just thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to get Apple users to sign up for Apple services to go along with their Apple products. You could theoretically pay one bill for a bunch of services.

Apple is one of the few companies who offers pretty much everything under one roof: hardware, software, music, video, storage, etc.

A company like HTC cannot offer that that.

People tend to forget that Apple is still ramping its "iCloud" buildout at its major data centers, not to mention unknown plans for more data centers. Perhaps there will be better data tiers down the road, but I wouldn't expect it until Apple has improved its uptime.

Apple is in this case behind Google, Amazon, and others but would appear to be catching up fast. Those profits can't hurt.

• Reply 64 of 295
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Well.. if it make you sleep better at night... Believes whatever you want to believe.

Many companies say the same thing.... it's pretty standard language.

Here's Apple's shocking similar paragraph for iCloud:

1. License from You. Except for material we may license to you, Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service. However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you. You agree that any Content submitted or posted by you shall be your sole responsibility, shall not infringe or violate the rights of any other party or violate any laws, contribute to or encourage infringing or otherwise unlawful conduct, or otherwise be obscene, objectionable, or in poor taste. By submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users, you are representing that you are the owner of such material and/or have all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to distribute it.

Sounds the same, huh.

I could post the EULAs for other sites like Facebook or Flickr... but you get the idea.

matrix07 wrote: »
    Once it's uploaded, it's theirs.

Didn't Facebook do the same thing? Even if you delete a photo... it still lives on their servers forever?

What ever happened to that?
  • Reply 65 of 295
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

That might be true for many companies but not Google, the one who lied through the teeth about user data many times.

Quote: Googles EULA

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones.

Quote: Apples EULA

by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you. 

looking very similar to me and would guarantee solicitors a lot of money if you wanted to challenge any difference in your opinion of applicability and legal standing.

• Reply 66 of 295
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Remember when Steve Jobs announced that RAM prices and other 'upgrades' on the Apple Store would more closely match the competition? I think Apple got tired of everyone buying 3rd party RAM and installing it themselves.

Now it's Tim's turn. It could go something like this: "Apple has heard you and now realizes it's 2015. iCloud storage will be revamped with new and appropriate FREE levels and low-price tiers for those that want more storage."

When we can reliably use the cloud for storage of music and podcasts and pictures, syncing voodoo will be a thing of the past. Apple could leverage all kinds of cool new services that sucks us all into their ecosystem with even stronger gravity.

Some things I’d like to see:

- More powerful speakers. I like to take walks and listen to podcasts.

- More speakers period in the forthcoming iPads for watching movies in bed

- Rethink 2-factor authentication. Too much clumsiness generating these passwords and then guessing where the hell they actually go once we get them. Fingerprint technology might help here...

- Rewrite Mail from the bottom up. I can't believe the same company that writes Final Cut Pro writes the Mail application. One is amazing and the other is...not.

- Please give us Events for the new Photos app. Also bring back the bulk file name feature that we enjoyed in iPhoto. Hurry.

- No more tiny, gray, faded text on white backgrounds. Look at all the wasted white space in iTunes and the App store. Use this space for increasing the size of fonts and icons. Gen X wants to use your products without requiring the use of bi-focals.

- White sucks and so do thin fonts.

- I like flat. iOS 8 was really groovy looking on many levels. But I also like instant recognition of buttons

- Sidebars are the new bicycle. They make humans better at everything. Never remove sidebars.

- In iTunes, the Check for Updates button is by itself in the lower right. Most everything else is in the upper left. My mouse travel has increased 10-fold with these new, larger monitors and spreading of the UI all over the window. Group these buttons a little better and we'll all save trillions of mouse miles.

- Save As... is how humans work.

- In Pages, font color and character fill are bizarrely separated. It seems like most apps have figured out that color options should be grouped together fairly closely, as in foreground/background color. Common text and document selections should be up in the menu, available at all times.

- As desktop backgrounds grow ever more beautiful and colorful, GUI elements grow ever more gray and uninspiring. Bring back the artsy feel all across the GUI with ample use of color.

- You shouldn't be able to close a session of Safari with loaded tabs without being asked to save all those open tabs or having the option to cancel the close via a prompt.

- I've had to leave the App store behind with some apps such as PDF Pen Pro. Upgrade pricing is necessary in an App store. Without it, I'll soon be buying a lot more apps from the developer.

- Tap targets are too small in many apps. I shouldn't have to worry about starting a podcast completely over just because I brushed over a button while trying to go back a few seconds. Super irritating. No button should start over.....or make THAT function incredibly small and hard to hit. Most of us want to rewind a bit or go back 5 or 10 seconds. Those buttons should be big. We have an entire iPhone screen and yet this UI is bunched up together, guaranteeing mistakes are made.

- Really common functions should = big buttons in useful places. Obscure functions can have small buttons in the lower right corner.

- Blank pages should be automatically deleted. Why do so many documents have this weird blank space that generates an additional page out of my printer? Can't this be prevented?

- Moving newly installed icons into folders in iOS should not be like playing whack-a-mole. Folders should stay put unless I hold an icon next to it for a longer period. Only then can it move.

- Syncing via cable just seems like it should be quicker

- A standalone converter app from Apple would be so nifty. I'm stuck with 3rd party converters for audio, video and photos. A separate app with powerful features that I can tweak would be nice.

- Apple's cable prices are like their old RAM upgrade prices. They're thinking like 7-11 when they need to be thinking Costco.

That's my personal list of things I'd like to see. Anything else is a juicy bonus.

• Reply 67 of 295
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    slurpy wrote: »
    True. Google apps are usually confusing as hell, and definitely unintuitive for everyone except hardcore geeks. However, I must admit the "things" view is pretty fucking impressive. Creepy, but impressive. Almost completely obsoletes the need to do any manual tagging or organization. Helped me find stuff I thought I'd lost. I do hope Apple implements these kinds of algorithms at home point.

Completely agree with you there. In fact, their image recognition capabilities are shockingly effective now.
  • Reply 68 of 295
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple should offer free unlimited storage for photos. Use the cloud as a loss leader to sell more hardware.

It seems to me with Google photos and Maps (and in many cases, Gmail) Google is effectively carving out a good chunk of services on iOS that ensures they are still in competition. I would love for Apple to respond with something that would crush Google with their own improvements.
  • Reply 69 of 295
    jprakesjprakes Posts: 2member
    Android copies Apple? Haha, wow you isheep love to drink the Kool Aid don't you? For the uneducated author, a brief history and spot on prediction for WWDC this year...

July 2010 - Apple CEO mocks larger phones, saying "no one is going to buy that".
    October 2014 - Apple releases 4.7 inch and 5.6 inch iPhone, playing catch up to larger phones.

October 2010 - When asked about iPad mini, Apple replies that 7 inch tablets are useless and "Dead on arrival".
    November 2012 - Apple releases iPad mini, playing catch up to the popularity of 7 inch tablets.

September 2012 - Apple releases iPhone 5, without NFC (the technology used for mobile payment) stating it is not a viable technology. Many other phones are equipped with NFC.
    October 2014 - Apple releases iPhone 6 with NFC (although limited to pay, no file sharing) and a Google Wallet clone. Playing catch up.

September 2012 - Apple VP says wireless charging is too complicated to give to end users.
    October 2015 prediction - Apple will release new iPhone with wireless charging. (particularly now that Starbucks is experimenting with equipping tables with wireless charging). They will proclaim it as new, original technology, that is it better than what other manufacturers offer... It won't be.

And the expected new Siri that is more interactive and predictive of information you need? Sounds a lot like Google Now. I mean, the iPhone 6 is almost a spec clone on the nexus 4 from
  • Reply 70 of 295
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

- A standalone converter app from Apple would be so nifty. I'm stuck with 3rd party converters for audio, video and photos. A separate app with powerful features that I can tweak would be nice.

I don't know how good it is, but Apple's been including a media converter since OS X Lion (it's just a bit hidden…): http://osxdaily.com/2011/02/26/mac-os-x-10-7-lion-includes-a-video-media-encoder-in-the-finder/

It's still accessible in OS X Yosemite, but (weirdly) you have to resize the window to get extra options.

EDIT: In Yosemite, you may need to activate this by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services and under "Files and Folders", select "Encode Selected Audio Files" and "Encode Selected Video Files".

• Reply 71 of 295
    jprakesjprakes Posts: 2member
    Android copies Apple? Haha, wow you isheep love to drink the Kool Aid don't you? For the uneducated author, a brief history and spot on prediction for WWDC this year...

July 2010 - Apple CEO mocks larger phones, saying "no one is going to buy that".
    October 2014 - Apple releases 4.7 inch and 5.6 inch iPhone, playing catch up to larger phones.

October 2010 - When asked about iPad mini, Apple replies that 7 inch tablets are useless and "Dead on arrival".
    November 2012 - Apple releases iPad mini, playing catch up to the popularity of 7 inch tablets.

September 2012 - Apple releases iPhone 5, without NFC (the technology used for mobile payment) stating it is not a viable technology. Many other phones are equipped with NFC.
    October 2014 - Apple releases iPhone 6 with NFC (although limited to pay, no file sharing) and a Google Wallet clone. Playing catch up.

September 2012 - Apple VP says wireless charging is too complicated to give to end users.
    October 2015 prediction - Apple will release new iPhone with wireless charging. (particularly now that Starbucks is experimenting with equipping tables with wireless charging). They will proclaim it as new, original technology, that is it better than what other manufacturers offer... It won't be.

And the expected new Siri that is more interactive and predictive of information you need? Sounds a lot like Google Now. I mean, the iPhone 6 is almost a spec clone on the nexus 4 from
  • Reply 72 of 295
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    It seems to me with Google photos and Maps (and in many cases, Gmail) Google is effectively carving out a good chunk of services on iOS that ensures they are still in competition. I would love for Apple to respond with something that would crush Google with their own improvements.
    I can't see why the two can't co-exist with neither one needing to "crush" the other. They each have their expertise, but Google has little interest in hardware and would rather concentrate on services while Apple deals with services as a carrot for hardware sales. The tech world is better off with both companies healthy and thriving IMO... Which they are.
  • Reply 73 of 295
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member

I'm using it now and find it needlessly confusing and poorly thought out. The icons are essentially meaningless and it's difficult to find the full functionality of the service by clicking around. On the plus side, unlimited storage for their reduced file size is great and 14 GB free for full-size pictures is outstanding. Apple needs to at least offer something on par with this and they could easily beat Google with the UI.

How "unlimited" is unlimited storage? I am wondering if Google has a limit written in its TOS that caps unlimited storage after a certain amount. If not, Google's past actions are a great reminder that TOS can and will be rewritten in favor of Google.
  • Reply 74 of 295
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Ah, but there's one area where Google beats the socks off Apple. The spell-checker in OS X is so pitiful, it fails to offer suggestions about 1/3 the time. Even a single missing letter or pair of transposed letters can leave it clueless.

I cut and paste that same misspelling into a Google search and perhaps 98% of the time Goggle nails the word I meant. And I might add that for a lot of us having decent spell checking is a heck of a lot more important than anything mentioned above. I waste a lot of time due to Apple.

If Apple isn't going to give us a decent spell-checker, it could at least give us a "Get correct spelling with Google" option.
  • Reply 75 of 295
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    clexman wrote: »
    You can't complain about Google stealing ideas from Apple, when Apple is one of the biggest, "Me Too," companies out there. Maps on phones, Google first Apple second. Mobile payments, Google first Apple second. Big phones, Google first Apple second. Photo editing software that syncs to the web, Google first Apple second.

I'm not going to dispute the fact that both of these companies "borro" ideas from other companies. But I will dispute your claim that Google thought of all these things "first" - and some of the examples you've given are laughable!

Mobile Payments? Big Phones? Maps on Phones?

Do you really think that those were "ideas" that had to be stolen? The first person/company to rush out a feature to market is not necessarily the first to have the idea. The specific 3 items that I quoted above are all obvious and many companies would have considered them and perhaps realized that for one reason or another, the market wasn't ready for those features "yet" or that it would take some time to do the feature justice and come out with a solid implementation or that they wanted to focus their resources on other features "for now" and added these "ideas" to their backlog for consideration maybe next year or the year after. The fact that you imply that first to market is equivalent to first to have the idea serves to show how little you know about product lifecycle and roadmaps.

Or do you honestly think that Apples design team met shortly after Google released their first "big phone" and Jony Ive said "OH MY GOD! Why didn't we think of this? We could have made our phones BIGGER!!! That's BRILLIANT! How could Google have thought that up - all on their own - when absolutely none of us realized that our phone could have been manufactured in a larger size!!!??? We all thought that a 3.5" screen size was the ONLY SIZE POSSIBLE for a mobile phone! Damn it - why are they so much smarter than us?"

Seriously - every company manufacturing a product has to decide what size to make it - and I think they all realize that in the case of phones - bigger was always an option. In Apples case, I think it was a deliberate decision to wait. Apple enjoyed numerous efficiencies in both software and manufacturing by only producing a single housing for all devices per year. Profits were higher due in part to only having to set up and operate a single assembly line. I think it was the right choice for them at the time. They knew that they'd lose some sales to the larger devices - but when you look first at the size of the entire market for a larger screen - and then consider that more than half of that market would stick with iOS anyhow due to being committed to the ecosystem - or simply out of the desire to go with better over bigger - the decision to delay the introduction of the larger devices definitely made sense $-wise.

Many other features and capabilities go through the same sort of analysis and often are delayed for a few months, a few years - or even longer! First to market with a feature doesn't mean first to think up that feature - and when you look at the quality of some of these "features" that were rushed out - it becomes obvious that waiting, and developing the feature fully would have been a better course of action.
  • Reply 76 of 295
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    tenly wrote: »
    I'm not going to dispute the fact that both of these companies "borro" ideas from other companies. But I will dispute your claim that Google thought of all these things "first" - and some of the examples you've given are laughable!

Mobile Payments? Big Phones? Maps on Phones?

Do you really think that those were "ideas" that had to be stolen? The first person/company to rush out a feature to market is not necessarily the first to have the idea. The specific 3 items that I quoted above are all obvious and many companies would have considered them and perhaps realized that for one reason or another, the market wasn't ready for those features "yet" or that it would take some time to do the feature justice and come out with a solid implementation or that they wanted to focus their resources on other features "for now" and added these "ideas" to their backlog for consideration maybe next year or the year after. The fact that you imply that first to market is equivalent to first to have the idea serves to show how little you know about product lifecycle and roadmaps.

Or do you honestly think that Apples design team met shortly after Google released their first "big phone" and Jony Ive said "OH MY GOD! Why didn't we think of this? We could have made our phones BIGGER!!! That's BRILLIANT! How could Google have thought that up - all on their own - when absolutely none of us realized that our phone could have been manufactured in a larger size!!!??? We all thought that a 3.5" screen size was the ONLY SIZE POSSIBLE for a mobile phone! Damn it - why are they so much smarter than us?"

Seriously - every company manufacturing a product has to decide what size to make it - and I think they all realize that in the case of phones - bigger was always an option. In Apples case, I think it was a deliberate decision to wait. Apple enjoyed numerous efficiencies in both software and manufacturing by only producing a single housing for all devices per year. Profits were higher due in part to only having to set up and operate a single assembly line. I think it was the right choice for them at the time. They knew that they'd lose some sales to the larger devices - but when you look first at the size of the entire market for a larger screen - and then consider that more than half of that market would stick with iOS anyhow due to being committed to the ecosystem - or simply out of the desire to go with better over bigger - the decision to delay the introduction of the larger devices definitely made sense $-wise.

Many other features and capabilities go through the same sort of analysis and often are delayed for a few months, a few years - or even longer! First to market with a feature doesn't mean first to think up that feature - and when you look at the quality of some of these "features" that were rushed out - it becomes obvious that waiting, and developing the feature fully would have been a better course of action.

People forget that Apple was the first to launch a 17" laptop, and they were (I believe) the first to launch a 30" computer monitor. Apple understands people want bigger screens very well.

They also forget that a 3.5" phone screen was huge when it launched in 2007.

Or, more likely, they didn't forget and they're just trolls.
  • Reply 77 of 295
    iSheep... one sided story from one sided fan. At least you can write a article to piss people off who love android,and that's what writing is about.

Vice versa, this could be a article about how last year wwdc was android 2012. And android is like ford building inexpensive cars and iphone is like Ferrari, everyone owns a inexpensive car from Ford or like wise and Ferrari is a after thought so macintosh will succeed but not as big as Google if history repeats itself..
  • Reply 78 of 295
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    clexman wrote: »
    Apple's 5GB free per account needs to go away. iCloud Photos is useless without paying for storage. The sync your entire library or nothing setup is terrible. I would prefer if the last XX days were saved on my devices at full resolution and older photos were resized. The non-stop uploading/downloading is a pain when I want to send someone a picture I took last week.

If Appleinsider wants to be a news source, they need to be impartial. Just saying Google sucks and Apple is awesome gets old.

Google being locked out of China while Apple is not, should not be something to brag about. Caving to a communist country with ongoing civil rights violations' demands shows that Google made the right move pulling out of China.

Apple Maps has a long way to go. It will be a few more years until it catches up to Google Maps (If they can).

You can't complain about Google stealing ideas from Apple, when Apple is one of the biggest, "Me Too," companies out there. Maps on phones, Google first Apple second. Mobile payments, Google first Apple second. Big phones, Google first Apple second. Photo editing software that syncs to the web, Google first Apple second.

Google being locked out China is Google's fault for being arrogant enough to try publicly subverting the policies of a foreign nation. Google went out of its way to denounce China. Google wanted to business its way and is paying a long-term price for it.

Apple chose a different path. Apple's path keeps Apple in China as it presents ideals the entire world can get onboard with. The effort is not easy nor quick. It is a long-term effort. The effort may never payoff fully. But any change, no matter how small, is good..the change can only be made inside China or any other foreign country. Attempting to dictate foreign policy is the fastest way to lose any opportunity to make a positive difference.

So, bragging about Google being locked out of the fastest growing economy in the world is okay. There is no doubt Google is salivating over the billions Apple is earning in China. At the rate Apple is growing in China, Apple's yearly China earnings will surpass Google's worldwide yearly earnings.
  • Reply 79 of 295

"Google's own Nexus 7 tablet........ never really got L working well". I had a Nexus 7 with Android L update and that was a disaster. I have had Android phones since 2008 until fall of 2014 when I was gifted an iPhone. It took a while to get used to and I still find some functions a bit weird but I cannot stand a phone which needs a restart every 30 minutes. Bought an iPhone for wife last week and let her experience what it feels to be free from perpetual freezes. Got an iPad too and now contemplating buying a MacBook.

• Reply 80 of 295
    mazecookie wrote: »
    Either trolling or stupid. Regardless I will bite.

Google did not pull out. Do you think they will shy away from harvesting more data? They were forced out. It is not something to brag about.

Apple Maps does not have a long way to go. It needs better search, and in some areas, slightly better accuracy.

Apple is far from a me too company. They are a "let's do it right, when the time is right" company.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Lets run down your list:</span>

Maps - Google was not first. iPhone OS 1 ran Maps before Android was even announced. It was a collaborative effort between both Google and Apple.

Mobile Payments - an example of when the time is right. Google Wallet sucked, had little to no adoption and insecurely processed cards. Google made software, but cannot execute on a project.
    Then comes along Apple, with a completely different, better approach. They partnered with banks, the payment networks, retailers, and merchants, to create their service. They helped retailers adopt and transition NFC terminals.
    Now Google, the me-too company, has copied like-for-like Apple's implementation, and will use the groundwork Apple has laid with the banks, payment networks and merchants.

Big Phones - Really? Haha. Apple has used a wide variety of screen sizes for decades. Theres an 1.5inch iPod, a 3.5inch iPhone, 4inch iPhone, 7inch iPad, 9inch iPad, 11, 13, 15 and 17 inch MacBook, 21.5inch and 27inch iMac. Do you think Apple is a me too company for choosing a display size for their device? Haha
    One day, if Apple transitions to a quad core processor for their iPhones, will you say they copied again?

Photo editing software that syncs to the web - you mean like with iPhoto and MobileMe?
    Actually Google did pull out. If you go back to read about it, they very clearly chose to stop business in China to protect their users.