Google I/O 2015 sets a low bar for Apple's WWDC to leap

Comments

• Reply 121 of 295
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I didn't watch the I/O keynote. But I heard a podcast where they said many of the announcements were noticeably available for iOS.

They suggested it was a sign of thawing in the relationship between Google and Apple. Possibly, or it may just be Google hedging their bets on iOS for the future.

It does raise a bigger question of whether the two can ever co-exist on friendly terms again. If Apple can still work with Samsung, and sign enterprise deals with IBM, I suppose anything is possible. 

It has been reported that Google makes a very significant portion of its advertising revenue from iOS devices. It’s clear that Google needs Apple much more than Apple needs Google. So of course they are going to support iOS with as many of their services as possible. So one can be a Google fan and still own and use the superior Apple hardware and iOS. Not so much the other way around however. 

• Reply 122 of 295
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple should offer free unlimited storage for photos. Use the cloud as a loss leader to sell more hardware.

Free, unlimited and uncompressed?  I bet tens of millions of people would use that.  I think that would require way too much more storage.

• Reply 123 of 295
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    alandail wrote: »
    there's this

Google's service is only free for those uploading video under 1080p and photos under 16 megapixels. Upload anything larger — say, a great DSLR shot — and if you're on the free plan, it's automatically compressed

Thanks.
  • Reply 124 of 295
    Google Photos allows Google to use your photos for advertising. Read the TOS.

This is a piece of garbage service from a terrible company. Consider yourselves informed.

Correct. Nothing is free. Virtually everything Google does is intended to extract more personal information about you for the purposes of advertising. Period. People are free to participate, of course, but the result is a mess of software products for consumers. Because consumers are not Google's customers, advertisers are. You are the product, not the software...
  • Reply 125 of 295
    cali wrote: »
    This person is so misinformed I feel sad for them. Literally :(

You really think the largest spy company in the world pulled out of china and allowed other iPhonies to profit off their OS?? XD

Yeah Apple really wanted to copy Maps. Totally had nothing to do with the fact they had no choice but to replace apps made by their enemy after being back stabbed.

A bigger iPhone is innovative? LMFAO!!!

Guess what droids?!!
    The Giggling is OVER. Apple made Giggle BILLIONS and got repayed by having the iPhone concept stolen.

IT IS OVER. expect every damn Giggle effort to be replaced by Apple.
    I cannot wait until Search comes and brings this lying, unethical spy corporation to its knees!!

Hear hear.
  • Reply 126 of 295
    Funny that I was going to write almost the same troubles headed Google's way. This after reading about an impending tech bubble that apparently is on its way and is supposedly going to be brutal to not yet IPOed entities like Uber, AirBNB and Pinterest among others. Because Google is so proud to toot the "we operate our business like a hungry startup", unfortunate for them that they may just get included in that group when reconsidering"real world" valuations.

Just like Amazon, some day soon Google is going to be called to task to start making profits for their investors, from all of their Beta, free services, and experiments.

Most worrisome is who is Google going to sacrifice first: its user's private data, or its partners in crime by charging for Android and Google services? I'm doing my best to stay neutral and optomistic, but my gut instinct tells me the easiest road will be traveled, and I think we all know which one that will be.

Hopefully Amazon escape that fate, I would not miss Google and their Android crap, nor Microsoft one bit, but I'd miss Amazon a lot.
  • Reply 127 of 295
    amitdas wrote: »
    Low bar?
    Google Self-driving car development is progressing rapidly... isn't Apple all of a sudden in the race also
    User-interface via fibers woven in clothes: Project Jacquard
    User-interface via gestures drawn in the air : Project Soli
    Internet "hotspots" via high altitude balloons: Project Loon
    Modular phone components: Project Ara
    INTER-OPERABLE IoT platform... let me repeat INTER-OPERABLE: Project Brillo
    Virtual reality camera rig and video standard: Project Jump
    Offline Google Maps with directions!
    Multi-window support on Android M

Google has already moved well beyond Android to other areas.

Not really covered at I/O:
    Google Shopping Express - same-day delivery from brick-and-mortar stores
    Google Fi - cross carrier wireless service to connect IoT devices?
    Chromecast 2 - gaming, 4k
    ChromeOS on a hdmi-stick
    Chromebook school program
    Google Fiber - gigabit to the home, 12 cities by EOY

Who said Project Titan was a self-driving car? Did Phil send you a press release?

Jony and co are car guys. Car guys enjoy driving. People who enjoy the experience of driving don't kill that with a self driving model.

And you're just showing why Googs is doomed; they can't focus on a single product.
  • Reply 128 of 295
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

of course Google Android and Apple iOS have gone through several cycles of each catching up with the other's successful features and technologies. iOS 7 was notable for that, and now so very obviously is Google M.

but what matters long term is the quality of the overall integration of all those features and technologies into an easy to use and thus most useful ecosystem for our daily lives. it's becoming increasingly obvious that Apple is pulling way ahead in that contest due to the issues DED writes about and the increasingly evident superiority of Apple's fabulous attention to detail, workmanship, and design that Google and its gaggle of 'partners' cannot match.

as to "innovation," any notion that Google's toys like Glass represent superior work have been obliterated by Apple Watch, which is a compendium of breakthroughs delivered in a masterfully made product at large scale. it's initial iOS can and certainly will be improved, but it's already light years ahead of the Google Wear pack. they'll need two years to catch up with that.

will the tech press notice and report all this? of course not.

• Reply 129 of 295
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It has been reported that Google makes a very significant portion of its advertising revenue from iOS devices. It’s clear that Google needs Apple much more than Apple needs Google. So of course they are going to support iOS with as many of their services as possible. So one can be a Google fan and still own and use the superior Apple hardware and iOS. Not so much the other way around however. 

I'm not doubting you but do you have any links to suggest what that 'significant portion' that might be?

Are we talking 50%? 

• Reply 130 of 295
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I'm not doubting you but do you have any links to suggest what that 'significant portion' that might be?

Are we talking 50%? 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/27/apples-ios-drives-75-of-googles-mobile-advertising-revenue

Right here on AI.

• Reply 131 of 295
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

If Android is so awful...

If Android is not successful...

If Android represents no threat to Apple...

... then why, Dilger, are you constantly talking about it? Either you don't believe the above things are true, or these articles are purely clickbait. Either way, they demean this website.

• Reply 132 of 295
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Google Photos allows Google to use your photos for advertising. Read the TOS.

This is a piece of garbage service from a terrible company. Consider yourselves informed.
    Since you have read the TOS and have it available what exactly does it say? Read that first paragraph again:
    "Some of our Services allow you to upload, submit, store, send or receive content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

I think it you check a bit further you'll find (if you want to) that i]the only picture Google might use in advertising is the one you might have attached to your public profile. They'll use it when you comment on Google blogs or rate apps. After all if's a public one you provided.

Google has been very specific that your uploaded photographs are your own and treated as private just as the TOS you quoted says and not belonging to or used by Google for advertising purposes. In fact to deal with stories like yours they've got out in front of it to tell folks not only do they NOT use your private images for advertising they have no plans to do so either. In the event they want to use your photography for advertising they state they will get your explicit permission to use that particular image just as they would be expected to do.

Google doesn't have carte blanche permission to use them. They're yours, period. YOU control their use.

I believe your comment is a simple misunderstanding or at worst intentionally misleading FUD. I'll stick with the former.
  • Reply 133 of 295
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

of course Google Android and Apple iOS have gone through several cycles of each catching up with the other's successful features and technologies. iOS 7 was notable for that, and now so very obviously is Google M.

but what matters long term is the quality of the overall integration of all those features and technologies into an easy to use and thus most useful ecosystem for our daily lives. it's becoming increasingly obvious that Apple is pulling way ahead in that contest due to the issues DED writes about and the increasingly evident superiority of Apple's fabulous attention to detail, workmanship, and design that Google and its gaggle of 'partners' cannot match.

as to "innovation," any notion that Google's toys like Glass represent superior work have been obliterated by Apple Watch, which is a compendium of breakthroughs delivered in a masterfully made product at large scale. it's initial iOS can and certainly will be improved, but it's already light years ahead of the Google Wear pack. they'll need two years to catch up with that.

will the tech press notice and report all this? of course not.

I'd appreciate proper, readable capitalization. It's there for a reason.

• Reply 134 of 295
    zelmungzelmung Posts: 11member

I'm using it now and find it needlessly confusing and poorly thought out. The icons are essentially meaningless and it's difficult to find the full functionality of the service by clicking around. On the plus side, unlimited storage for their reduced file size is great and 14 GB free for full-size pictures is outstanding. Apple needs to at least offer something on par with this and they could easily beat Google with the UI.

Apple's shared photo stream feature has long given users the ability to store unlimited photos at max resolution for free. I have over 22,000 photos in there and it doesn't take up any iCloud storage.
  • Reply 135 of 295
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Many companies say the same thing.... it's pretty standard language.

Here's Apple's shocking similar paragraph for iCloud:

1. License from You. Except for material we may license to you, Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service. However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you. You agree that any Content submitted or posted by you shall be your sole responsibility, shall not infringe or violate the rights of any other party or violate any laws, contribute to or encourage infringing or otherwise unlawful conduct, or otherwise be obscene, objectionable, or in poor taste. By submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users, you are representing that you are the owner of such material and/or have all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to distribute it.

Sounds the same, huh.

I could post the EULAs for other sites like Facebook or Flickr... but you get the idea.

Didn't Facebook do the same thing? Even if you delete a photo... it still lives on their servers forever?

What ever happened to that?

You conveniently left out the part that comes before your bold text:

Quote:

However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public  or other users with whom you consent to share such Content

• Reply 136 of 295
    amitdasamitdas Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

One difference between Google and Apple is Apple doesn't tell you what they are working on until the have a product.  The fact that you hear about things from Google first doesn't mean Apple wasn't already working it too.

Another difference is Google will release alpha quality stuff they have to then scrap or that isn't fully thought out.  For example, how many different set top boxes have they done, I've lost track (their first one was a mess while Chromecast is better)?  How many android phones and tablets are stuck on older versions of OS for reasons other than the hardware wasn't powerful enough to upgrade?

I do like some of the things google does.  Calico, Google Fiber, Project Loon, etc.  I'm a big fan of the potential of self driving cars too, but wouldn't assume Google is the only company working on it.

Apple is having a hard time keeping the wraps on it so-called car project, it's pretty certain they are not working on any MAJOR initiatives.

Chromecast just works, simple app integration and practically every content provider is onboard.

Isn't Apple being investigated for possible collusion with the music industry to forcibly REMOVE free streaming options from Spotify and others?

Apple's Homekit is going to fail since it is not inter-operable with other IoT platforms.

IoT is going to be a diverse eco-system with multiple players not just Apple and Google.

Google Shopping Express is a fantastic service with huge potential... this is the ONLY competition to Amazon's same-day delivery service.

Google Fi would include ALL carriers in one plan... the Nexus 6 can hop from Sprint to TMobile/ATT during a call without a drop. This means that Fi will have the BEST coverage of any MVNO.

Like I said Google is moving well beyond Search and Android while Apple seems desperate in attempting to enter the automotive arena.

• Reply 137 of 295
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    alandail wrote: »
    there's this

Google's service is only free for those uploading video under 1080p and photos under 16 megapixels. Upload anything larger — say, a great DSLR shot — and if you're on the free plan, it's automatically compressed
    That applies to individual images over 16GB. In practical terms almost no one will have an image that large so you'll never bump up against it. For the very few pros/DSLR users with new high-end cameras and resolutions possibly exceeding that file size then use Google Drive or iCloud for them as neither will compress that image. Otherwise that limit is of no concern for regular users.

Your >500GB catalogs of photos are safe from compression as long as individual photos are under 16GB which they almost certainly will be.
  • Reply 138 of 295
    amitdasamitdas Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Who said Project Titan was a self-driving car? Did Phil send you a press release?

Jony and co are car guys. Car guys enjoy driving. People who enjoy the experience of driving don't kill that with a self driving model.

And you're just showing why Googs is doomed; they can't focus on a single product.

I would love it if the Apple iCar did NOT have an self-driving option.

Although every other automotive company is spending huge amount of resources in developing......... self-driving vehicles. LOL

Tesla cars seem to already have all the sensors for their cars to do most of the driving, if the driver chooses.

BTW, what type of dysfunctional mapping app will the iCar have?

yes, Googs is doomed, they are LOONey

• Reply 139 of 295
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    zelmung wrote: »
    Y

I'm using it now and find it needlessly confusing and poorly thought out. The icons are essentially meaningless and it's difficult to find the full functionality of the service by clicking around. On the plus side, unlimited storage for their reduced file size is great and 14 GB free for full-size pictures is outstanding. Apple needs to at least offer something on par with this and they could easily beat Google with the UI.

Apple's shared photo stream feature has long given users the ability to store unlimited photos at max resolution for free. I have over 22,000 photos in there and it doesn't take up any iCloud storage.

The sharing part is not as important as the free online storage as backup, which I appreciate. I've had a catastrophic hard drive crash previously and like this Google offering.
  • Reply 140 of 295
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    There is a difference between 16MP and 16GB - Google reduces the resolution of your pictures regardless of size.