Google I/O 2015 sets a low bar for Apple's WWDC to leap

Comments

• Reply 141 of 295
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That applies to individual images over 16GB. In practical terms almost no one will have an image that large so you'll never bump up against it. For the very few pros/DSLR users with new high-end cameras and resolutions possibly exceeding that file size then use Google Drive or iCloud for them as neither will compress that image. Otherwise that limit is of no concern for regular users.

Your >500GB catalogs of photos are safe from compression as long as individual photos are under 16GB which they almost certainly will be.

16GB. 16 MP. Don't let facts get in your way. 80% of my library exceeds 16 MP. Flickr is great for these if free is your prime consideration. Google's rights grab is simply undefendable. Yes, it is fundamentally different than Apple's terms.
  • Reply 142 of 295
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    MathieuLLF wrote: »
    To be fair Google has had a Web photo platform for much longer than Apple. This newest release is just a more updated one.

Picasa wasn't part of the OS, it was just a stand alone web property.
  • Reply 143 of 295
    LOL. Well of course Android came after. There was no Android phone to put it on. As for Google Maps on mobile phones Google had offered them since 2005, plainly the reason Apple wanted Google's assist with the first iPhone mapping application. Again of no real importance, Apple did great, except apparently to some folks that always want their favored OS to always have been first as tho it gives them something more than bragging rights.
    https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-maps-on-your-phone/

we aren't talking about web properties accessed via a browser, we're talking about mobile OSes here. the previous troll claimed Apple's smartphone copied that feature.
  • Reply 144 of 295
    MathieuLLF wrote: »
    Actually thinness isn't what makes it usable. Apple didn't think that large phones were going to sell and when Apple saw sales stagnating a bit they realized that they needed one as well. Even Ive had negative things to say about large phones previously.

PS you still can't wrap your hand around an iPhone 6+ no matter how thin it is.

you're flat out wrong on this one. if you'd read the New Yorker piece about Jony Ive, you'd k ow he said they'd tried them for years (since the 4) but they were too thick. it's printed in black and white, go read it.
  • Reply 145 of 295
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

I'd appreciate proper, readable capitalization. It's there for a reason.

are you kidding? well you ain't gonna get it from me. just skip my comments, i won't mind.

• Reply 146 of 295
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    netmage wrote: »
    There is a difference between 16MP and 16GB - Google reduces the resolution of your pictures regardless of size.
    Thank you so very much for clarifying. Yes I'm fallible and you are spot on sir. I would hate anyone uploading their RAW's and deleting the local originals, tho I would think most photographers would know not to do that. I NEVER delete locally-stored RAW's until I know I don't want them but instead of paying EyeFi I think the Google service will do fine for my already converted images. .

I logged in this morning to see they'd actually put together a storybook for me from a few dozen shots I'd done yesterday and uploaded. Pretty cool and quite well-done. Timely too since my wife asked me if I got any good shots yesterday and this was a great and more interesting way to show her.
  • Reply 147 of 295
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    we aren't talking about web properties accessed via a browser, we're talking about mobile OSes here. the previous troll claimed Apple's smartphone copied that feature.
    They didn't. "copy". "Copying" is also waaay overused here IMHO.
  • Reply 148 of 295

[@]NolaMacGuy[/@]
    "Google Wallet launched today (Sept 19, 2011) in a public trial, the new jargon for a beta test, about four months after its introduction. Using a small near-field communications (NFC) antenna mounted inside the rear of the phone, an embedded security token, and some accompanying software, Google Wallet allows users to simply tap (or touch) the phone to a payment terminal. Money is automatically debited from an attached credit card.

nope, that description is not the same thing as what AP does, which doesn't have an attached credit card (Apple does not retain your cc number at all). an embedded security token isn't the same as the one-time-use tokens generated by AP and supplied to the retailer at auth time.

just admit it, you're wrong, and your poster boys copied Apple.
  • Reply 149 of 295
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    nope, that description is not the same thing as what AP does, which doesn't have an attached credit card (Apple does not retain your cc number at all). an embedded security token isn't the same as the one-time-use tokens generated by AP and supplied to the retailer at auth time.

just admit it, you're wrong, and your poster boys copied Apple.
    A unique one-time token replaces the credit card number and always has. That's what tokanization is AFAIK.
  • Reply 150 of 295
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

One has to look hard among comments to find an impartial view of things amongst a sea of everything non apple haters.

I am a big fan of apple and own lots if it's devices and praise it to friends but the way people act (like this guy) who won't take a tiny bit of criticism against Apple is ridiculous. No other company gets a single thing right but Apple. Sure.

Let's all gather and praise Apple and curse all others and call it a day.

Huh! Are you for real! 90% of the web comments internet on phone related sites are aggressively anti-Apple. If you'd go by those comments, you'd think Apple is producing pure first grade shit. So, I think you own damn bias is showing here. This site is one of the only one were you don't have 80% anti-Apple trolls crapping FUD all day long. One site that has littered with Trolls, MacRumors. Go there and you'll see those Anti-Apple rants you covet all day long and all year long (with a special helping around launch times). Apple is not perfect for sure, but it sure is better than the piss poor competition those trollers are rah-rah-ing for.

• Reply 151 of 295
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

-

• Reply 152 of 295
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

But he is right.

who he?

• Reply 153 of 295
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Google Photos is mind blowing. Unlimited storage and free. This was the big news at I/O. It will be a smash hit.

• Crappy interface

• No lossless editing or syncing thereof

• No preservation of lossless originals

• 16MP image size limit

• Zero image organizing features (sorting, preserving collections/albums, etc.)

• Will be cancelled in a year or two and replaced by whatever great new service Google is pushing at the time

• 'FREE' = Privacy Armageddon (you're actually going to let Google get their creepy hands all over your photos?)

Do you really want to trust this guy with all your photos?

"We know where you are. We know where you've been. 

We can more or less know what you're thinking about."

“If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know,

maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.”

- Eric Schmidt

http://daringfireball.net/2010/08/creep_executive_officer

• Reply 154 of 295
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

Where is Google Glasses? Nowhere! in the profit column, Google like Amazon or Netflix is a grand Ponzi scheme. Cardboard VR? Incredible!

• Reply 155 of 295

I'd appreciate proper, readable capitalization. It's there for a reason.

it's good to want things...
  • Reply 156 of 295
    A unique one-time token replaces the credit card number and always has. That's what tokanization is AFAIK.

if it was the same system then Google wallet wouldn't need your cc number on file. but it did, because they weren't. and now "Google Pay" is opting to copy "Apple Pay" (wow, even the name is a copy) because it's a better system, as you said. admit it, your boys are professional copy machines. repent.

but if you follow this thread back up, we're addressing my contesting the troll's claim that AP is a copy of Wallet...it ain't. but Google Pay is a copy of AP. there is no confusion.
  • Reply 157 of 295
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Since you have read the TOS and have it available what exactly does it say? Read that first paragraph again:
    "Some of our Services allow you to upload, submit, store, send or receive content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

All that says is their use is not exclusive. Google's TOS is a standard boiler plate rights grab.
  • Reply 158 of 295
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clexman View Post

Apple's 5GB free per account needs to go away. iCloud Photos is useless without paying for storage. The sync your entire library or nothing setup is terrible. I would prefer if the last XX days were saved on my devices at full resolution and older photos were resized. The non-stop uploading/downloading is a pain when I want to send someone a picture I took last week.

If Appleinsider wants to be a news source, they need to be impartial. Just saying Google sucks and Apple is awesome gets old.

Google being locked out of China while Apple is not, should not be something to brag about. Caving to a communist country with ongoing civil rights violations' demands shows that Google made the right move pulling out of China.

Apple Maps has a long way to go. It will be a few more years until it catches up to Google Maps (If they can).

You can't complain about Google stealing ideas from Apple, when Apple is one of the biggest, "Me Too," companies out there. Maps on phones, Google first Apple second. Mobile payments, Google first Apple second. Big phones, Google first Apple second. Photo editing software that syncs to the web, Google first Apple second.

That Google left China in order to take a stand against its human rights record is just utter baloney. Google left China because the efforts were never really going all that well in the first place and it wouldn't have subtracted anything big from the bottom line. I'd like to see Google do that with the US government. They'd play ball in a heartbeat. It is an added benefit to Google that it was able to disguise a lack of business sense as a stand for human rights and come out smelling like roses in the process. 

It's not that Google is selling "me-too" ideas, not to me at least. I don't think there's anything wrong with Google coming out with its own implementation of services/products such as mobile payments. It's that I don't see Google putting enough effort towards setting its offerings apart from Apple, starting with the branding. Google has had a four-year (maybe longer) headstart on Apple in mobile wallets in the form of Google Wallet. Android manufacturers have had NFC in their phones well before Apple. Yet, in places like the US, Google's attempts at mobile payments haven't gone anywhere. Now that Apple has come out with Apple Pay and it's gaining traction, others are paying more attention to mobile payments. 

• Reply 159 of 295
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

Maps - Google was not first. iPhone OS 1 ran Maps before Android was even announced. It was a collaborative effort between both Google and Apple.

It's also important to note who contributed what to the original iOS Maps app. Google provided the mapping data. Apple crafted the user interface and dictated the privacy protections. That distinction is evident when comparing Google Maps to Apple Maps today.

Apple had no choice but to dump Google's map data because 1) they were increasingly insistent about getting access to user data and embedding ads, and 2) they were pushing out enhancements to the Android versions of Google Maps while withholding them from iOS users.

• Reply 160 of 295
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    portcity wrote: »
    This article is some pretty bad Google bashing even by Apple's standards. I mainly use Apple services but I do admire other companies innovations as well. The article is missing some very important facts that readers need to be aware of. First off is that Android OS adoption rates are low because outside of the Nexus devices, the update is dependent on the carrier and not the individual. Second, many believe that IOS 9 will more focused on improving the overall experience and security of iOS. Nobody has a problem with this but when Google announces this for Android M there is a problem? Lol. Also, if Google is offering unlimited photo storage for free, why is Apple steal only giving us a measly 5 GB for free?Lastly, not even Apple is at the forefront of every technology. When a new Apple TV and music streaming service is announced next month, people with Roku's and Spotify will be saying "Apple is just now doing that?" There isn't one company that is at the cutting edge of everything. This is good for the consumer and it encourages companies to constantly improve themselves.

Apple is at the VERY cutting edge of
    computing hardware. PERIOD.
    t0mat0 wrote: »
    OS version adoption: Fair point - the wiki Android historical version distribution illustration at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history shows the issue - It's been taking ~12 months for an OS to filter through) - so most are getting OS updates via a new handset, or a long wait (if they can get an update at all).
    iOS numbers seem to suggest near saturation of iPhones getting the latest update they can get - (you'd expect a certain percentage unable to go past iOS7 (iPad 1, iPhones up to iPhone 4's).
    Even after the update mess-up they had (CDN issue or otherwise).

So with L at 10% , it's going to take longer for that to filter through, same for M - basically whilst iOS can do point updates, bug fixes, Android's screwed in that regard - see the glacial update rate for critical security updates.

Apple historically has been awful at Services and Social. Google's above Apple in both.
    For balance - it's a pity you haven't mentioned their work on VR (and Youtube is a strong video and music entity - streaming video, music service is in some ways ahead of Apple who dropped the ball on streaming in a big way).
    Google's developer pages, A/B testing - their developer side is in some ways ahead - Apple's made a few steps at last WWDC but their are still big frustrations dealing with iOS that Android doesn't have so much.
    Maps - Apple's still playing multi year catch up.
    Granular permissions - now with Android - iOS is lacking a macro change all permissions (eg needed perhaps when starting to deal with all permissions editing for Apple watch notifications).