Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Modern day entitlement mentality...have not seen this much whining around here for a long time.  If you don't like it, back up to your computer which everyone did until iCloud came out or, like the 10's of thousands in the company I work at who are blocked from iCloud by policy and backup to their computer.

• Reply 22 of 39
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Modern day entitlement mentality...have not seen this much whining around here for a long time.  If you don't like it, back up to your computer which everyone did until iCloud came out or, like the 10's of thousands in the company I work at who are blocked from iCloud by policy and backup to their computer.

His "suggestion" that Apple should purchase data storage from Amazon or whomever—what do you say to that?
  • Reply 23 of 39
    sog35 wrote: »
    Then apple should buy cloud services from someone else until these centers are ready. There is no excuse for this. None. Buying cloud services in bulk is dirt cheap.

Sense of entitlement? Wtf man. Wtf. If my iPhone cost $900 I expect it to have better services than a $200 Android. At this point it does not as regards to cloud.

Stop making pathetic excuses for Apple. Apple can easy provide more cloud space.

A small company like Mediafire gives 50 GB of free cloud.
    MiMedia gives 7 GB of free cloud.
    Synform gives 10 GB free.

So are you telling me these small, cash poor companies can provide more than 5 GB of free cloud and Apple cant? Bullshit.

Think of the scale for a minute. How many individual Apple users are there to back up? 800 million? How many have massive picture libraries, etc.?

Can you imagine Apple entrusting that massive pile of goodwill capital to a third party, especially a competitor? A fabtastic scenario, that. As in insane.

Think of some better unconditional entitlement. Better yet, go to Costco or Fry's and get some terabyte drives for the interim.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

His "suggestion" that Apple should purchase data storage from Amazon or whomever—what do you say to that?

As for Amazon...Amazon Web Services is a very popular product on the back end and used by many people for many years.  Doubt Apple would go to a third party for their storage.  They want full control of the integrity of what they store.

• Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

And how is that a better user experience? Its a pain the the ass for most people to back up there computer.

Again if 99 cents is such an insignificant amount of money for a middle class family what is 99 cents to a company with $180,000,000,000 in cash?

Every decision should be based on risk and reward. Apple making an additional 99 cents is literally a rounding error of a rounding error. But the risk is you are alienating your best customers - those with multiple devices and those who have been in the ecosystem the longest (thus they have more email, photos, and documents)

And some say all most people need is 5 GB. If that's true then just offer the 20 GB for free since 'most' will only use 5 GB anyway.

Seriously there is no excuse for this anymore. What is the incremental cost to Apple for moving from 5 GB to 20? Its only a few pennies a month. Pennies. Fricken pennies to Apple. And most wont even use much past 5 GB (according to many here who argue that 5GB is enough). What is Apple giving up financially? Basically nothing. But they will get back a ton in goodwill and user experience.

Like I said I own 700 shares of Apple. Nearly $100,000. My frustrations are not just coming from a consumer perspective but from an investor perspective. Once you treat your most loyal customers like crap you are in danger. And being stingy with iCloud is saving a few pennies and risking customers who have shelled out Thousands of dollars in Apple product. It makes zero sense from a consumer, investor, and public relations perspective.

99 Cents times how many hundred million?  4 times the allotted storage in data centers for basic backup allotment.  I think it would be nice for them to upgrade the space and agree on that point, just not the entitlement attitude presented in your posts.  It is the classic class warfare issue.  Someone has more than me and I demand some of it for nothing.

Present the argument without the whining and class warfare aspect and it would be more palatable.

• Reply 26 of 39
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fryke View Post

Wait, lemme think. I currently pay for 20 GB on iCloud, of which about 10 GB are used. I personally would think Apple should offer 20 GB for free, currently. On the other hand... You can also back up your iDevices through iTunes. And they ARE giving you 5 GB of free space. Only because other companies give away the same or more space for free doesn't make them look bad imho. Instead, it makes whiney users who whine about not getting enough free stuff with their purchases look bad. If I can afford an iPhone 64 GB with a decent contract per month, I sure can pay for my 20 GB iCloud storage. Would I welcome more free space? Yes, I would. But I would be thankful, not saying "too little, too late" – a comment, that can be expected whenever Apple chooses to upgrade the iCloud capacity and reduce the pricing.

Just to clarify, I too am on a paid 20GB iCloud storage plan, which I got grandfathered into at $10.99/year. I don't mind paying this fee, and I'm sure many others don't mind as well. But when compared to against other cloud services, some of which were well established even before iCloud came into being, iCloud is not very competitive on a cost / storage capacity basis. This is where Apple needs to improve.

• Reply 27 of 39
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

99 Cents times how many hundred million?  4 times the allotted storage in data centers for basic backup allotment.  I think it would be nice for them to upgrade the space and agree on that point, just not the entitlement attitude presented in your posts.  It is the classic class warfare issue.  Someone has more than me and I demand some of it for nothing.

Present the argument without the whining and class warfare aspect and it would be more palatable.

What about amount of space per device?  We have bought 4 iPhones, iPad, iPod, etc., which is all money in Apple's pocket.  Perhaps the device could include 5 gb of storage, so I'd be up to 30 now.  Or iPhones include 5, iPods only 2gb or whatever.  Just a thought.

Though I'm happy paying 3 dollars a month  for 200 gb to back up my photos and not having to worry about anything failing on me or dealing with a 3rd party.  I don't find it as big a rip-off as some, though i'm sure the amounts will increase over time as my iPhoto library does.

• Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

What about amount of space per device?  We have bought 4 iPhones, iPad, iPod, etc., which is all money in Apple's pocket.  Perhaps the device could include 5 gb of storage, so I'd be up to 30 now.  ...

That is a valid thought.  Instead of per icloud account, make it per paid for idevice...  Would introduce a few logistic issues but am source they could overcome that.

• Reply 29 of 39
    Apple's not reactive like other companies, but they think through their strategy and plan new releases on a timetable. WWDC is coming out and any refinements and new features will be announced then.
  • Reply 30 of 39

The excuse that Apple does not have enough servers is Bullshit when companies that have litereally started in 2014 offer more free cloud than Apple. Amazon, microsoft, ibm, ect would love to lease there cloud space to Apple. And like anything else Apple would get massive discounts because of there bulk usage.

Read my post history and you will see I'm not an Appke hater. I skew way more to Apple fanboy. But when I see obvious blunders by Apple I wint drink the cool aid and say Apple is infalliable.

Two years ago Balmer was saying that Microsoft had a million servers, and he also said that Google had more, Amazon slightly less. By now, Apple probably has a few hundred thousand, I'm guessing. If you can locate better info than this, let's see it.

Don't forget when comparing free storage that Apple has to guarantee functionality, more or less, to 800 million customers and their crazy photo habits.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Hopefully, at WWDC they will announce increased free and paid, lower-cost storage. Consumers will go to where something is cheaper and provides the same value. Storage can/should be treated like a loss-leader item. It's an enticement. And I see Apple as a hardware-software-services company. Anyway, it's just easier to sign up with someone else. Annoying, but we vote with our $$$. Storage is insanely cheap now.

Obviously, a few people are going to be annoyed when they pay a pretty penny for their hardware and then be asked to pony up more cash for storage. For right or wrong, that is how some/many people are going to feel.

• Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

IMO, as an investor it is just not worth Apple pissing off a ton of loyal customers to make that small 600 million in revenue. Apple is turning off countless people from even using the cloud. I know many who are sick of getting warning messages of icloud running out of space that they just turn off icloud all together. And then their phone bricks and they lose everything.

You have told everyone about how you are an Apple investor a trillion times now.  Give it a rest please.

Out of space on iCloud, upgrade or shut up.  It is a very simple process.

Email [email protected] and tell him.

• Reply 33 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

The backup of my 128GB iPhone 6 is 2.9GB, what's everyone whining about?

I pay 5 bucks aussie a month for 200GB, I've got 80GB of photo's and videos, it's taking forever to upload them all, Photo's has been doing it for weeks.

Now to figure out how to get my wife's phone to backup to my 200GB, without all her photo's messing up my back ups, I've got two accounts, one for iTunes purchases and one for iCloud, her 64GB phone is linked to my iTunes one for iCloud with 5GB which runs out of space.

• Reply 34 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Though many people here know me as a huge Apple fan, I agree that Apple really needs to step up their cloud game and offer MUCH more storage in the free tiers... Too many other companies, regardless how good or bad they may be, are offering way more value with their cloud options. While I don't think Apple needs to offer unlimited for free, as that wouldn't make much business sense for them, I'd like to see at least 50-100GB offered for free. That would likely satisfy the needs of (best guess) 80% of their clients using iCloud...

There is nothing to stop you using multiple back up options, my Dropbox is annoying, I got 48GB free for two years with a Samsung Galaxy S3, when I got an S4 I got nothing extra in spite of Samsung advertising that it came with 48GB for two years, I also have Skydrive among other things.

I don't use any Google services at all if I can avoid it.

It's a competitive market, use whatever suits your needs.

• Reply 35 of 39
    lets do the numbers.

There are about 600 million active AppleID's with iPhones/iPads.

About 5-10% pay 99 cents per month for 20 GB storage.

Thats about 600 million in 'lost' revenue.

That may sound like a lot by that is chump changed for Apple.

Apple will have about 225 billion in revenue in 2015. So the lost revenue would be .25 of a percent of total revenue. A rounding error.

IMO, as an investor it is just not worth Apple pissing off a ton of loyal customers to make that small 600 million in revenue. Apple is turning off countless people from even using the cloud. I know many who are sick of getting warning messages of icloud running out of space that they just turn off icloud all together. And then their phone bricks and they lose everything.

The limited storage theory doesn't have much to say about what they charge or make on their paid storage options. It's more about keeping users from overloading the system by discouraging unlimited uploads. The money is chump change for them, as you say, but bandwidth hogs may go elsewhere, and that's a good thing for now, according to this theory.

The last thing Apple wants is a bad experience with Apple. Look at what hill60 is already going through at post 45. Finally, Apple can't confess to any of this, because they don't want to admit they're behind, naturally. But they seem to be, in data center construction. They only really got started around the time of Siri, Maps and iCloud rollout.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

and if Apple increases free icloud next week Monday?

You obviously have no idea how to run a business and keep your best customers happy

It would be great if they increased it and I would like to see them do it.  There is a way to present an argument is a diplomatic manner and not just come off as whining about it.

As for running a business, I don't so no experience.  As for Apple, obviously someone is doing something right over there so I leave it to them.  They may not be the first to, in this case,  increase storage but they eventually come out with a good product that most people like.  See what happens next week but if they do increase storage, it won't be because you whined about it.

• Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Not me specificily.  But many have been 'whining' about the stingy icloud for several years.

Just how many where 'whining' about wanting larger iPhones a few years ago.

Many people whine...my comments concerned your whining here in the forum.  I said to just present it in a professional manner, diplomatic manner, non whining manner, etc.

• Reply 38 of 39
    iCloud will eat all of your storage in no time, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. When your device says your storage is full, you have to restore the device...it's the only option, and it sucks. I have talked to many Apple gurus who are baffled by iCloud. Isn't the idea that your cloud data stay in the cloud and be accessible there and actually be present on your device? I have 200 GB of cloud data and I don't use it at all because it bogs down my iPhone and iPads. WTF?