Microsoft buys out Wunderlist developer 6Wunderkinder

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Microsoft has forged an agreement to buy 6Wunderkinder -- the German developer behind to-do list app Wunderlist -- in a deal worth between $100 million and $200 million, a report said on Monday.

The 6Wunderkinder staff will remain based in Berlin, but simply work for Microsoft, a source told The Wall Street Journal. The same person speculated that Microsoft is looking to further enhance its mobile portfolio, which now includes things like Sunrise Calendar, and a variety of Office titles such as Outlook -- actually a rebranded version of Acompli, another Microsoft acquisition.

Wunderlist is a multi-platform app, available not just for iPhones and iPads but Android, Windows, OS X, and the Web. That fits with Microsoft's strategy under CEO Satya Nadella, who has abandoned Windows exclusivity in the name of getting as many people as possible using the company's products and services.

Windows 10 is due to launch July 29 across PCs, phones, and tablets. One unusual aspect is that developers will be able to port iOS and Android apps to the platform directly, which could eventually lead to a much larger mobile Windows library.

Both Microsoft and 6Wunderkinder refused to comment on the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That seems excessive.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    that must be some to-do app.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    nolamacguy wrote: »

I think it's more like, "A fool and his money...."

The company makes the app available for every known OS on the market, so what does Microsoft get for their money.... that they don't get now... uhh... Oh! ...hmmm... welllll....
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

It is very good. I hope Microsoft don't ruin it.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

I downloaded the Windows version at the office. Buggy. Sucked. Deleted it. That's my first and last experience with their app.

• Reply 6 of 16
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I use the Mac version, the Chrome version (on Windows 7), and the iOS version. Not buggy. Not sucky. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I love this app, use it for all my todos on my mac. Nice app, shame.
  • Reply 8 of 16

Wunderlist is easily the only real competitor to Evernote in my eyes. I really hope Microsoft doesn't ruin it.

spacerays
  • Reply 9 of 16
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I use it to manage projects with my colleagues. It is fantastic. The support is also excellent. It runs brilliant on my iMac and iPhone. I expect it will now turn to shit now that Microsoft have it, just like Skype did. I may have to find something else. Good while it lasted.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    torsteinotorsteino Posts: 18member
    I downloaded the Windows version at the office. Buggy. Sucked. Deleted it. That's my first and last experience with their app.
    Maybe thats why they bought it...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    macmanfelixmacmanfelix Posts: 125member
    It was the best free app for sharing lists and assigning tasks EVER and I love it. Cue the topic suck-fest in 5-4-3-2-1, Microsoft will destroy it like everything they touch.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    pairof9spairof9s Posts: 67member
    You had to see this one coming...first, Accompli was bought for the email services, then Sunrise for calendar events, so a to-do/reminders app was needed to complete the iOS communication offering. When I got an email from Wunderlist last week stating that it offered direct integration w/ Sunrise, I knew this was "other shoe".

But to be honest, I've not felt or seen the usual Microsoft Embrace, Extend, Extinguish policy with these recent batch of apps. It seems apparent that Sadya Natella is NOT Steve Ballmer. It seems he recognizes that completely ignoring competitors, especially leaders in a major area, is a losing proposition. He seems to believe that buying non-homegrown solutions is not for eliminating competition...but to offer better solutions.

The only thing that remains is to see if the price of doing business with this new Microsoft (i.e. 365) becomes more expensive.
    spacerays
  • Reply 13 of 16
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Picks up and unlocks iPhone.

Pages to app, press and hold.

Delete...

At least it wasn't Google, but wasn't wowed by it anyway.

• Reply 14 of 16
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Love this app! MS, don't FK it up!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mr. h wrote: »
    It is very good. I hope Microsoft don't ruin it.

I'm referring more to how will MS monetize a freeium app to earn a return on these millions...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    People actually pay for a way to list things "To-Do"???