Apple's subscription TV service might not debut at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcoma View Post

Not surprised, if this is true.

So... you'd be surprised if it wasn't true?

• Reply 22 of 42
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I am so sick of waiting for an Apple TV update.

Dear Apple: please keep your stupid useless watch and give me a product that eliminates cable TV. Sincerely, most of America.

how about you stop publicly whining instead?

many of us Apple watch owners don't feel it's stupid or useless at all, and get value out of it. the fitness/activity tracking alone is a prime use case. maybe you should try it?
  • Reply 23 of 42
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    The content providers want to be in control. Why would they give that up? And Apple is unlikely to do what they want. A lot of money involved and power. And everyone has to be happy. Good luck. It's going to take time. Maybe just a smaller channel package at a lesser cost? Why should they even bother.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    multimedia wrote: »
    Yes the local feeds are going to be much harder to acquire and deliver.????

As are any feeds on a world wide scale. Which is why Netflix is now making its own shows (and they are damn good) a trend I don't think a few years back, when Steve was thinking about all this, occurred to anyone. I don't ever see Apple getting into that area yet it seems to be a winner for those wanting to change the paradigm.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    How about the rumor to reveal an Apple TV Service at WWDC was wrong. How come we don't get those types of stories?

Edit: I meant the service.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

Dear Apple: please keep your stupid useless watch and give me a product that eliminates cable TV. Sincerely, most of America.

Please grace us with some more of your toddler bull shit. There isn't enough of it on the internet.

• Reply 27 of 42
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How about the rumor to reveal an Apple TV at WWDC was wrong. How come we don't get those types of stories?

A brand new Apple TV and SDK is being announced. Has nothing to do with nor any bearing on the existence or non-existence of a subscription service to go along with it.

• Reply 28 of 42
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

'...Sincerely, most of America.'

Delusion of grandeur much? America will speak for itself, with its wallet.

• Reply 29 of 42
    thetorreythetorrey Posts: 80member
    I'm dying to leave Time Warner behind. Just DO something already.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Isn't Re/code part of the massive troll king Vox network now?

Yep and Walt Mossberg's stuff will be mostly featured on the Verge now. Sigh. http://www.donotlink.com/fdr9

Nilay Patel whined on Twitter that Stephen Fry's piece on Jony Ive was all fluff yet just a few days later the Verge ran a huge puff piece Google and all their I/O coverage was basically a Google love fest. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 31 of 42
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Who cares, just add SyFy, Amazon and FOX News to ATV, Apple!  Oh yeah, 4K 2160P support too for my 70" Vizio UHDTV!  Thanks!  ;)

• Reply 32 of 42
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    pfisher wrote: »
    The content providers want to be in control. Why would they give that up? And Apple is unlikely to do what they want. A lot of money involved and power. And everyone has to be happy. Good luck. It's going to take time. Maybe just a smaller channel package at a lesser cost? Why should they even bother.

Exactly. Plus after seeing how record labels lost control of the music industry ( in reality, iTunes saved them), TV broadcasters are spooked by Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 42

The guy really got bitch-slapped for his whining about the Apple TV. Thanks to all your people for making this forum a better place!

• Reply 34 of 42
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member

Apple TV:

The Hobby of The Eternity.

• Reply 35 of 42
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member

Yes, that comma does complicate things. 'Not surprised' because of the nature of the negotiations. 'If it's true'.....queries the validity of the source of this rumor.

• Reply 36 of 42
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    It would appear that as long as we buy the product that they want to sell us we won't get the product we want. I was planning on cutting the cord with the release of the new service. I am done waiting. If they won't sell me what I want then I am going to go ahead and cut the cord anyway. I spent the last week not watching anything on cable and did just fine. I am sure we can live longer without watching cable then they can live without revenue. It is summer rerun time, soon the NBA and NHL finals will be over. Not much of value to watch. Looks like a good time to make the move.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

If you want to eliminate cable tv, call them up and cancel it!!! It's easy enough to do,  I did it a few years ago.   I don't see what's so great about Apple's RUMORED TV service.  $30-$40 for Apple's selection of channels doesn't seem to be a good deal to me.  It's also really the same old crap, just like SlingTV.  There's no picking what channels you want to pay for and what channels you don't. It's the same old package deal.

I put up a nice large Antenna, that takes care of all my Broadcast channels.  I now have a TIVO Roamio OTA Box.  So I can record my programs and have full DVR control.  With Netflix there's a ton of great content and more and more original programming.  The few shows you miss not having cable you can generally get a season pass and watch that way, commercial free and you own it.   

With the Internet, there's no real reason to pay for cabletv these days other then out of habit.  Unless you're out in the boonies where you really don't have high speed internet and antenna doesn't work and you have no choice, but to get Satellite service for TV, and maybe even for limited Internet.  That's perfectly understandable.   I just got 105Mbps service from Comcast, switching from U-Verse, Internet ONLY!!!  That's all I wanted from them.  My Home Phone is from my OOMA VOIP Box.  That's been some great service.  When I moved, I just brought the box with me and plugged into my new Internet service and had home phone service with my same phone number.   Another way to take advantage of a service I'm paying for.  Far better then paying for Cable's VOIP service!!!

So No, not most of America.  I'm not going to start just giving Apple a bunch of money every month.  Especially for the same old, same old channel bundle service.  Hell cabletv more then likely has the better channel bundle.

Still Apple can't cancel something they never announced in the first place.

• Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

At least Apple is finally updating the hardware. Hasn't been updated since 2012.

Says who?  Did Apple say something and I just missed it someplace?   

• Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

I'm dying to leave Time Warner behind. Just DO something already.

Then leave already!!!  Why would you want to just switch with Apple and yet be continuing to do the same thing.  Yet another channel bundle but this time with Apple instead?  So you would rather pay Apple $30-$40 per month for  less channels then you would get from cable would be my guess!?!?!

I dropped paying for cable tv a few years ago and haven't looked back!!!  See there's this thing you're on called the Internet which gives you many other options like Neflix which is great and more and more Original Programming which has been top notch.  There's this old tech with a new twist which is a Antenna with a Digital signal where you get the BEST HD picture and 5.1 surround sound from and it's Legally FREE.  I'm getting ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS, MeTV, AntennaTV and other channels.   With MeTV and AntennaTV and others, I'm seeing some great older TV series I hadn't watch since I was a kid.  

I have more content to watch these days  then ever before.  In fact I don't have enough hours in a day to watch it all.   Like with SlingTV, why do I want to continuing paying someone for a bundle of channels that I mostly don't want?  It doesn't matter if it's Comcast, TWC or Apple!!!

• Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Who cares, just add SyFy, Amazon and FOX News to ATV, Apple!  Oh yeah, 4K 2160P support too for my 70" Vizio UHDTV!  Thanks!  ;)

Amazon you can AirPlay to a AppleTV from a iOS device already I believe.  I normally use my ROKU device, though my new TiVo will also do Amazon.  SyFy?  Do they have anything still worth watching that you want to pay monthly for?  Could be cheaper just to buy a season pass for the few shows you like.  Fox News, who knows.  CNN I think is on SlingTV. and I would rather have the other.

4K, pointless!!!   You're not even getting true 1080P by streaming, it's compressed so much, and 4K is even worse.  The only way to get true 4K at this time is by that one Sony 4K player!!!