Apple adds user videos to 'Shot on iPhone 6' ad campaign

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
As part of its ongoing iPhone 6 ad campaign, Apple on Monday moved beyond still photographs and added to its online "Shot on iPhone 6" gallery a handful of short films shot by users.

Apple includes seven short videos, each around 15 seconds long and set to a backing track, in a new section of its "Shot on iPhone 6" website that debuted in March. The World Gallery of films joins an existing section filled with photos taken by everyday iPhone 6 users.

It appears users relied on Apple's included iOS Camera app to capture featured footage as the website does not make mention of third-party titles. Also unlike the World Gallery's photo category, the new section lacks shooting tips and links to hardware accessories, suggesting the clips were pulled directly from stock iPhone units.

As for the footage itself, a number of clips add drama with slow motion effects, while others show off iPhone's ability to accurately capture the vibrancy of dynamically lit scenes. With optical image stabilization the iPhone 6 Plus is particularly well suited to shoot high-contrast photo and video.

Apple has consistently touted iPhone's camera capabilities as being among the best in the industry standard, and to great effect. When the company kicked off the "Shot on iPhone 6" campaign, for example, it claimed the handset as the most popular camera on earth and plastered gigantic versions of select World Gallery images on billboards around the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    It IS a nice camera, especially nice since it's the one I always have on me.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Personally, I think if apple used the iPad's larger form factor to creative use, they could put a really good camera in there and get creatives using it. As it stands, it's odd that they put the best camera in the iPhone 6 Plus, but put an older, less feature-rich camera on the iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Personally, I think if apple used the iPad's larger form factor to creative use, they could put a really good camera in there and get creatives using it. As it stands, it's odd that they put the best camera in the iPhone 6 Plus, but put an older, less feature-rich camera on the iPad.

EXACTLY!!

People complain that iPads aren't selling well. Well iPads were supposed to be the leader in the post PC era and replace laptops but Apple isn't doing them justice at all. iPad should have MORE memory, BETTER cameras and processing and MORE storage. Why the hell it isn't happening is very sad.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why aren't these ads on TV?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And then you realize your awesome 20 minute video you just shot just took your entire 5 GB of free icloud......

You seem to be trolling this 5GB thing quite heavily lately. With all your Apple stock and gains, you can't afford $1/month? Really?

• Reply 6 of 15
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

But it's an iPad. People still look foolish take pics with it let alone video. Then again I'm sure the next iPad will have a better camera.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

its not about the money, but the principle.

What's the principle exactly...

All I'm seeing is a profitable company competing in services against Google and Amazon business models. Perhaps given more buildout, that amount of storage would climb to, I don't know, maybe 10 GB. But why should Apple want or have to compete for that matter with an an advertising company or an online retailer known for minimal profits?

• Reply 8 of 15
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    Aviation Week & Space Technology published some videos taken with the iPhone of the Marine's version of the F35 STOVL taking off and landing on the Wasp. I thought they were spectacular.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jungmark wrote: »
    But it's an iPad. People still look foolish take pics with it let alone video. Then again I'm sure the next iPad will have a better camera.

People take photos with it anyway. It deserves at least the same camera as the current iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The principle is not to penny pinch your best and most loyal customers.

Your best and most loyal customers are those who have multiple iOS devices and have been through multiple upgrades.  These are the same customers that have 2 GB of email, 5+ GB of pictures/videos, 4+ GB of documents.  Yet these are the same customers you are trying to penny pinch by charging them 99 cents a month for a decent amount of cloud storage.

So the same customers that buy more of your products and stick with your products longer are the ones that get charged more.  If I have 3 iOS devices I get 1.66 GB per device.  Yet if I only buy 1 iOS device I get 5 GB for that one device.  How the hell does that make ANY sense.

In the other thread I calculated that Apple would lose about $500 million in revenue if they moved the free tier from 5 GB to 20 GB.  That $500 million is chump change to Apple.  A rounding error.

Apple is all about giving the best user experience.  Having constant error messages that you are out of iCloud space is not a good user experience.  Having to delete photo's/videos every few days to make room for your iCloud is not a good user experience.  Turning off your icloud because you are sick of all those error messages is not a good user experience.  And then losing years of irreplaceable photos/videos when your phone bricks and not back up by cloud is not a good user experience.  All of this can be avoided if Apple simply offered 20 GB of free cloud or even better as much free cloud as your device is ( 64GB iphone gets 64GB of cloud).  That way the experience will be seamless and your phone and everything on it will always be backed up.

And the sickening thing is how cheap iCloud costs are for Apple.

Google sells 1 Terrabyte of cloud for $10 a month. That's 1 cents per GB.  You know that Apple's cost are WAY less than a cent per GB.  So 20 GB of cloud is costing Apple less than 5 cents a month.  WTF man. WTF.  So 5 CENTs a month Apple is not willing to give its users a better experience?  WTF.  It blows my mind.  

Gotta admit this whole cloud thing is making me sour on Apple.  The last 2 years I've bought 5 iPhones, 4 iPads, MacMini, 2 Apple TVs, AirPort Extreme, countless apps/games/songs.  With all that money spent Apple can't even pay 5 cents to give me a better user experience?

IMO this is the classic case of penny wise and pound foolish by Apple.

I don't agree with you often but I do agree with you in every way with this subject. The cloud is how you can lock people in even more. Everything is going cloud based.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

They're going to have to bump up storage after Google's store-all-your-photos-free announcement at IO. I don't need "free", but I do need to not max out before I save everything currently on my phone. 

• Reply 12 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But it's an iPad. People still look foolish take pics with it let alone video. 

I think people with bright color dyed hair, nose piercings, wool caps in the summer, pants hanging half way down their ass and tattoos look foolish. I never understood why taking a picture with an iPad supposedly made one look foolish.

• Reply 13 of 15
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    jungmark wrote: »

The iPad camera is great for eBay listings; snap and upload right in the app. And when I'm having an iMessage conversation I don't want to have to reach for my iPhone, I want to grab a pic right there.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 wrote: »
    its not about the money, but the principle.

What principle? Childish entitlement? That's the only "principle" I can think of that makes any sense in this scenario. Data centres cost. Bandwidth costs. Storage costs. Yet you act as if it's some human right to get unlimited cloud storage and bandwidth for free. Get over yourself. Or, switch to Google services and let them monetize you so you can save your precious $0.99/m. Just think about it- in just a year you'll be able to put all that money aside and buy a fucking sandwich!