National Geographic Channel content added to Apple TV days before refreshed hardware is expected

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
With less than a week to go before the WWDC keynote, where a new Apple TV is expected to be unveiled, the existing platform has gained access to the National Geographic Channel's next-day content.

Owners of the second- and third-generation set-top box will find the channel as part of their lineup automatically on Tuesday. The channel's name is stylized as "NatGeo TV," which is the name for the National Geographic Channel's free, next-day access to full episodes.

Content available on the channel includes "Street Genius," "The Big Picture with Kal Penn," and "Wicked Tuna." Nat Geo TV includes content from both the National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo Wild.

As with other cable content available on the Apple TV, a valid cable subscription login is required for access. Participating TV providers include Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner, Verizon and Charter.

The newly available channel comes just days before Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. There, it is expected that the company will unveil an entirely new set-top box, updating the Apple TV for the first time in years.

Rumors have said the new Apple TV will feature an A8 processor, a dedicated App Store, Siri voice controls, and a new touchpad controller.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    New Apple TV hardware is so long overdue. They'll jump off the shelves.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Just getting more and more depressing. Now just hoping for a "Hail Mary" on Monday.

• Reply 3 of 23
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    As a contemplating "cable cutter", I don't see the value in adding all these channels that can only be used if you're a cable subscriber. And, with many ISPs (including mine) putting usage allowances in place, by the time you pay $30-40 for a "streaming package" and a "big" Internet package or overage charges, you're right back up to what you were paying for cable! The networks and providers are going to get their money - one way or another. Period. No legally free ride here, folks!
    greginnj
  • Reply 4 of 23
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    What I want in the next AppleTV: more 1337 specs. Support for 5K Retina TV. Thinner. Liquid metal exterior. IGZO. Faster quad core CPU. More RAM. Faster SSD. Touch screen with pen support. A camera. App Store. Game controller. Siri and Shazam built in. Dual-stage airbags. Microsoft Office compatibility. I don't know why I want these things, but AppleInsider forums exist so I can post this wish list. /s
    greginnj
  • Reply 5 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Just getting more and more depressing. Now just hoping for a "Hail Mary" on Monday.

Why the **** is an extra channel that you didn't have yesterday "depressing"?

And yes, Apple really needs a "Hail Mary". Really, the company might not even survive until next week they're in such dire straits. 

greginnj
  • Reply 6 of 23
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Don't see a refresh happening.

For all intensive purposes, Apple TV is dead.

I hate saying that.
  • Reply 7 of 23

A lot of these chanels require you have a cable subscription to watch them. What i the point?

The objective should be to eliminate the cable and Sat. guys.

Apple TV:

The Hobby of The Eternity

• Reply 8 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

New Apple TV hardware is so long overdue. They'll jump off the shelves.

The problem is not the hardware, but the software especially UI. Apple TV UI is not intuitive at all. If you subscribe 20 channels from the providers, you need to go in Apple TV to get activation codes for those fucking channels separately and go online 20 times to enter the damn codes. I did that last time and I hated the fck about it. Oh, last but not least, some channels you can't even activate through the program website because your TV provider is not in their drop-down list...

ATV should have a better way to activate the channels hopefully when Apple can work directly with program providers instead of cable/satellite TV providers...something like...log into iTunes, check the channels and activate them. Done.

greginnj
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I hate saying that.

Apple wouldn't drop the price to $69 to let it die. Something is coming out to replace it.

• Reply 10 of 23

I bought the original Apple TV when it came out in early 2007.

Honestly, not much has happened.

Starting to lose the faith.

• Reply 11 of 23
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

When I got my first ATV, I loved how simple and uncluttered it was - far superior to the inconsistent, bloated mess that came on my "smart" TVs and Blu-Ray players. The Netflix interface was and still is among the best. Then, Apple started adding all these junk channels that couldn't be hidden except through parental controls. Apple finally addressed the last part, but now it's like playing Whack-A-Mole deleting all these useless, junk channels - especially for those of us who have multiple Apple TVs. It seems like every time I turn one on now, I'm wasting time hiding unwanted icons. Also, due to my ISP's usage allowance, I intentionally lower the resolution of my ATVs to reduce data usage, but over the last half-dozen or so firmware upgrades, the damn resolution settings won't stick and randomly reset themselves back to 1080p. From my perspective, the user experience has declined over time and this constant barrage of useless channels is the biggest culprit. I expect this junk from Sony, Samsung, LG, and others, but the Apple TV is becoming very un-Apple-like (or perhaps Apple is now abandoning their roots and beginning to conform to the masses). I kind of like the "old" Apple at a time when none of my friends had Apple products - they were more exclusive.

• Reply 12 of 23
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What I want in the next AppleTV: more 1337 specs. Support for 5K Retina TV. Thinner. Liquid metal exterior. IGZO. Faster quad core CPU. More RAM. Faster SSD. Touch screen with pen support. A camera. App Store. Game controller. Siri and Shazam built in. Dual-stage airbags. Microsoft Office compatibility. I don't know why I want these things, but AppleInsider forums exist so I can post this wish list. /s

You're not expecting the Apple TV to be a TV, are you?

• Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

I hate saying that.

Sorry for being pedantic, but the expression is "for all intents and purposes."

greginnj
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Apple wouldn't drop the price to $69 to let it die. Something is coming out to replace it.

There's little doubt we'll see a new Apple TV soon, but I wouldn't use that logic to support the idea.

Apple dropped the price of Aperture form $499 to $299 and finally $79, before waiting three years to abandon it.

greginnj
  • Reply 15 of 23
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    So another worthless channel that I have to manually go in and remove!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

There's little doubt we'll see a new Apple TV soon, but I wouldn't use that logic to support the idea.

Apple dropped the price of Aperture form $499 to $299 and finally $79, before waiting three years to abandon it.

Talking about an app? This is a hardware with millions sold out there and still need supports. Have Apple ever cut the price of a hardware and discontinued it right after?

• Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Quote:

I hate saying that.

Sorry for being pedantic, but the expression is "for all intents and purposes."

No. Not at all. There is a statue of limitations that says that is correct.

greginnj
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Why the **** is an extra channel that you didn't have yesterday "depressing"?

And yes, Apple really needs a "Hail Mary". Really, the company might not even survive until next week they're in such dire straits. 

No concern about survival. Just about lost ground.

We'll find out Monday.

• Reply 19 of 23
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    freediverx wrote: »
    You're not expecting the Apple TV to be a TV, are you?

I only buy electronics to run benchmarks on them, and if the new AppleTV doesn't measure up, I'm going to tell the Internets how disappointed I am and how Apple is doomed. /s
    greginnj
  • Reply 20 of 23
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

This is a great addition, now Apple please add SyFy, Amazon, FOX News and 4K support to ATV!  ;)

greginnj