iCloud, iTunes again hit with global outages impacting important services [u]

Posted:
in iCloud edited June 2015
A Tuesday iCloud outage is preventing some people from accessing services like calendars or mail, or even logging into iCloud in the first place, according to numerous complaints on Twitter and received by AppleInsider.

The problem is spread worldwide, affecting people in the U.S., Canada, and Europe, and possibly other regions. Issues are believed to have begun shortly before 11:30 a.m. Eastern time.

Some users are already reporting services being restored, but in other cases, complaints are persisting.

Trouble with iTunes began around the same time. Apple's official System Status tracker is indicating problems with numerous other online services, such as Find My iPhone, Game Center, Photos, and Back to My Mac.

iCloud has witnessed a number of major outages since the network launched in 2011. The last one hit on May 20, and lasted into the following day, taking down many of the same services that went offline on Tuesday.

Update: The System Status page indicates that all services are back online as of noon Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

Got hit by the outage this morning, but services appear to be coming back online, and status page now showing restoration of ?PAY, Siri, and more:

You should see the whining by trolls over this outage at 9to5Mac, they seem to have quickly forgotten all the MASSIVE, EXTENDED outages of Microsoft Azure / Office 365 recently, that shines iCloud's uptime in a much better light!

• Reply 2 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    All up now.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

A quick search (Google) shows that the Apple iCloud outages happen at least once a month.

Not sure how serious they have been or how they compare to other services.

• Reply 4 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Cherchez la Samsung.

• Reply 5 of 48
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

They need to tell you how many users were affected. Microsoft gives a percent (<0.1% or 1%), for example, for their enterprise services. Google and Microsoft's scale-out services are designed for more frequent, contained failures, affecting a small number of users. Apple seems to be doing things the old way, with large failures.

• Reply 6 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    pfisher wrote: »
    A quick search (Google) shows that the Apple iCloud outages happen at least once a month.

AFAIK Apple doesn't keep much history on it for whatever reason, only the previous three days. Most of the other Cloud providers appear more willing to publish records for those that might need to make a decision on which service to use from an up-time perspective. Can't really tell with Apple's as they don't make the history available.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    konqerror wrote: »
    They need to tell you how many users were affected. Microsoft gives a percent (<0.1% or 1%), for example, for their enterprise services. Google and Microsoft's scale-out services are designed for more frequent, contained failures, affecting a small number of users. Apple seems to be doing things the old way, with large failures.

Could it be because Microsoft and Google each have more than three times the server installed base that Apple has?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 wrote: »
    yet Apple charges DOUBLE or TRIPLE or more for iCloud storage......

Oh shut up. You had your chance to comprehend.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

- Regular cloud outages;

- Apple's worst launch ever with the MacBook (looking for one in the shops? keep looking), even worse than the PowerBook fiasco back in the 90s.

That is what happens when you put a former COO with social activism priorities in charge.

• Reply 10 of 48
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member

Was having login issues.  Couldn't even use the codes Apple sent to my trusted device. And because I tried to many times, I'm locked out for the next 8 hours.  Which is fine.... I can access my mail via my iPhone, just not my work computer. 

• Reply 11 of 48
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    And this is a comment from a lawyer, right? Har.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

- Regular cloud outages;

- Apple's worst launch ever with the MacBook (looking for one in the shops? keep looking), even worse than the PowerBook fiasco back in the 90s.

That is what happens when you put a former COO with social activism priorities in charge.

You still here?   You'd be much happier elsewhere.

Keep beating the old drum...   Someone might listen to you eventually.

And a stopped clock is still right twice a day...

• Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

- Regular cloud outages;

OMG, who let your sorry trolling ass back in here? STFU and go back to playing with mechanical time pieces from the 20th century!

• Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

And this is a comment from a lawyer, right? Har.

He's no lawyer, just a freaking troll that's already been banned once before, and judging by the fresh round of bovine excrement he just spewed, won't be much longer for another ban.

• Reply 15 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    yet Apple charges DOUBLE or TRIPLE or more for iCloud storage......

It's sad that when you decide you randomly stick on something, you spam every fucking thread with it. Otherwise, you're a decent poster so I don't know why you engage in this garbage. Tell me, why the sudden outcry about iCloud prices NOW? Why the sudden need to troll about this incessantly? Apple has made you many tens of thousands, yet you pretend to the outraged at the prospect of paying $1/m. It's pathetic.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Oh shut up. You had your chance to comprehend.

Apple really needs to up its game when it comes to services. Make their services best in class and use them as loss leaders to sell more hardware. Personally I think Cook should poach a top notch cloud executive from Microsoft, Google or Amazon and give all iCloud/Siri/Maps stuff to this new executive. Let Eddy Cue focus iTunes, Apple Music, ?TV, AppStore and ?Pay.

Also I think Apple really needs to step it up when it comes to their own apps and services. Right now I could probably fill up an entire home screen on my iPhone with Google apps. Same with Microsoft, who just spent around $100M on another iOS app - Wunderlust. Google's photos app is getting really good reviews. but it's almost like as long as you buy an iPhone Apple doesn't care what services you use. No I want them to care. I want them to be pissed off that so many people use GMail, Google Maps, Google Photos etc. and make their software products that much better.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's sad that when you decide you randomly stick on something, you spam every fucking thread with it. Otherwise, you're a decent poster so I don't know why you engage in this garbage. Tell me, why the sudden outcry about iCloud prices NOW? Why the sudden need to troll about this incessantly? Apple has made you many tens of thousands, yet you pretend to the outraged at the prospect of paying $1/m. It's pathetic.

I find it quite amusing for sog to complain about that but have no problem defending Apple over its device storage pricing.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    This is an unfortunate outage. This makes the third major outage in only a month. Thankfully this one didn't affect me but last weeks really messed me up and Apple support didn't even apologize. It's kind of sad to see them care less now then they use to.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I've only posted my iCloud concerns on 3 topics that are related to iCloud.

FYI, I just bought my parents an iPadAir2 each. They are on a fixed income and can't afford the $1 a month.  Now I have to spend hours finding other means to backup their photo collection and sync their iPhones and iPads and explain to them whats going on.  Its a total pain in the ass.  And I sure there are many others out their who have the same problems with iCloud.

Again you keep saying we should shut the hell up about 99 cents.  So you are telling hardworking middle class people to shut the hell up and pay the 99 cents instead of Apple who has almost $200,000,000,000 in cash.  GTFO.

I have over a gig of photos and videos, and my iPhone 6 and iPad Air backing up to iCloud, as well as my iCloud Mail. Still have 1.4GB free.

And that must be some amazingly budgeted fixed income if $1 is too much...

• Reply 20 of 48
    I have no problem with Apple's storage pricing because it is up front and clear.

With iCloud it is not.  Most people have NO IDEA that you only get 5 GB of cloud PER APPLE ID.  And once you pay for the device its over.  With cloud you need to pay each month, every month, again and again.  People dont like that.

And then look at the margins.  Apple is making ridiculous margins on iCloud storage for people who are paying 99 cents for 15 additional GB of data.  How do I know?  Cause you can buy cloud space for 1 cent a GB almost anywhere.  Why can't Apple just foot the 10 cents of cost for additional cloud?  Friken ridiculous.  iCloud margins are probably close to 90%.

Again its all about the user experience.  I don't mind paying $900 for great hardware.  But then don't try to nickle and dime me on ESSENTIAL SERVICES after that.  It would be like charging 99 cents for an email account.

Look I don't disagree with you on cloud pricing at all. But we all know the reason Apple went 16 > 64 is because the margins at the higher end are huge there too. An easy way for them to increase ASPs. And once Apple gets you locked in at 64 they figure you're never going back down.

I've seen rumors in my Twitter feed that Apple will announce free photo cloud storage at WWDC. They need to do it. Let iCloud be a loss leader to sell more hardware and keep people in Apple's ecosystem. Don't give people any incentive to use rival services.