Apple Pay picks up 12 new banks, surpasses 300 institutions in total

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Apple on Tuesday added another 12 U.S. banks to its official list of issuers with cards supporting Apple Pay, putting the total over 300 for the first time.




The new supporting partners are predominantly regional ones. Banner Bank, for example, is based in the Pacific northwest, while Synovus Bank is based in Georgia and operates throughout the southeast.

The full list of additions includes:
  • Banner Bank
  • BayPort Credit Union
  • California Coast Credit Union
  • Centier Bank
  • Community First Credit Union
  • Glenview State Bank
  • HAPO Community Credit Union
  • Prestige Community Credit Union
  • Provident Credit Union
  • Staley Credit Union
  • Synovus Bank
  • Wood & Huston Bank
Apple Pay is still a U.S.-only venture, although the company is believed to be working on expansions to the U.K., Canada, and China.

More news about the platform is expected to arrive next week during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. One announcement may involve a rewards program which will accrue perks for people who use Apple Pay on a regular basis. That may be necessary to compete with Google, which is reportedly exploring rewards initiatives of its own.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,499member

    CIBC (Canada) can have an Apple Watch app available on launch day but yet still isn't on board with Apple Pay...

  • Reply 2 of 22
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    There's a lot of us out there that are businesses and issued a PAYPAL debit card. We use it for everything because that's where our money is setting. I called the bank that issues the actual MasterCard portion of the card and if you're THEIR customer they offer ?Pay but when you tell them your card number they refer you back to PayPal. When you contact PayPal they aren't rude but when they tell you "I'm noting your request and will forward it on..." I have a feeling they're doing that "writing in the air" technique I use when people say to me "here's your case number" and I nod and say "thank you". LOL Come on PayPal. You know yours is not going to catch on so make the debit card work for ?Pay before apple offers their own debit card because then we'll all leave and it will be too late you took to long to get with the program.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,348member

    I know we keep getting these seemingly impressive-sounding updates (just like we do about how many "automakers have signed on to CarPlay") but at the end of the day, all that matters for ApplePay is who accepts and where. While I see more and more, it's still far from where it should be in terms of adoption at the POS.

  • Reply 4 of 22
    baylabbaylab Posts: 9member
    It%u2019s interesting that the US lags the world for the types of cc%u2019s that work best for Apple Pay yet the serivce is only available there. In Canada the chip & pin or tap to pay are everywhere but Apple Pay is MIA. True, Canada only has a handful of banks (mostly with 1,000s of branches) and therefore they are stronger than the fragmented hundreds of banks model seen the US, but Apple must have been able to interest at least 1 of the Canadian banks, you%u2019d think.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,036member
    I have travel to Canada recently and had not been there in a long time so this was my first experience with chip and pin everyone keeps saying if better and how the US is so far behind the rest of the world who switched over to Chip and Pin. As a person who used the CC swipe method for a long time as well as the Debt card with pin methods and now recently the chip in pin in canada, I can say Chip and Pin is a pain to use it take so many extra steps, Apple Pay is now the simiplest method to pay it take me a whole 10 sec if that to pull my phone out hold it to the terminal and have it ping to said it paid. With my watch I do not even need to reach in my pocket anymore hold the watch up and paid.

    Grant it, some places still do not know how to processs the order on the systems sometime the clerk still requires me to sign the paper copy other times they get the payment and it is done. This happens at the same place and it must be how the person closes out the transation after it pays which prints a signature copy.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,499member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post



    I have travel to Canada recently and had not been there in a long time so this was my first experience with chip and pin everyone keeps saying if better and how the US is so far behind the rest of the world who switched over to Chip and Pin. As a person who used the CC swipe method for a long time as well as the Debt card with pin methods and now recently the chip in pin in canada, I can say Chip and Pin is a pain to use it take so many extra steps, Apple Pay is now the simiplest method to pay it take me a whole 10 sec if that to pull my phone out hold it to the terminal and have it ping to said it paid. With my watch I do not even need to reach in my pocket anymore hold the watch up and paid.

     

    I think the point is that most of the newer chip-and-pin systems are also capable of supporting Apple Pay given that they now accept contactless payment (VISA payWave, MasterCard PayPass, etc).  Apple's web page on Apple Pay shows that you can look for the contactless payment logo.

  • Reply 7 of 22
    semi_guysemi_guy Posts: 64member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

     

     

    I think the point is that most of the newer chip-and-pin systems are also capable of supporting Apple Pay given that they now accept contactless payment (VISA payWave, MasterCard PayPass, etc).  Apple's web page on Apple Pay shows that you can look for the contactless payment logo.




    I read that and tried to use it in several places like Home Depot, a few gas stations, etc. but as soon as I brought my iPhone out to pay, the cashiers said "No, No , No, we do not accept ApplePay" even though they have the contactless logo on their terminals.

     

    So far, I have to find more than three merchants that accept ApplePay. Panera, Subway, and some McDonald's is all I have found in my area.

  • Reply 8 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No BMO (Bank of Montreal)?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,729member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by semi_guy View Post

     



    I read that and tried to use it in several places like Home Depot, a few gas stations, etc. but as soon as I brought my iPhone out to pay, the cashiers said "No, No , No, we do not accept ApplePay" even though they have the contactless logo on their terminals.

     

    So far, I have to find more than three merchants that accept ApplePay. Panera, Subway, and some McDonald's is all I have found in my area.




    I've done it at Home Depot several times.  I always use the self checkout lines so no cashier to tell me know.  Seems to work.

     

    Only one place that had contactless payment logo had problems.  It would register and I would hold the thumb and then would fail.  They said they were having problems. I tried it several times.

  • Reply 10 of 22
    scafe2scafe2 Posts: 61member
    Come on Apple Pay, we need you in the UK ASAP
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,895member
    Haven't found a merchant who accepts it yet.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,036member
    auxio wrote: »
    I think the point is that most of the newer chip-and-pin systems are also capable of supporting Apple Pay given that they now accept contactless payment (VISA payWave, MasterCard PayPass, etc).  Apple's web page on Apple Pay shows that you can look for the contactless payment logo.

    Actually that is what I thought that the newer chip&pin POS terminal were also compatiable with contactless payment, they are not I seen mecherant near me who have update to the newer chip&pin system which require you to insert the card into the POS terminal but they did not support Apple pay they did not have the NFC in them. I saw the same systems in Canada when I was there not all the new terminals support NFC.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

    Incidentally, I guess this is the most recent list of issuers:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6288

  • Reply 14 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,499member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by semi_guy View Post

     

    I read that and tried to use it in several places like Home Depot, a few gas stations, etc. but as soon as I brought my iPhone out to pay, the cashiers said "No, No , No, we do not accept ApplePay" even though they have the contactless logo on their terminals.


     

    The trouble with Apple Pay in Canada is that none of the banks support it yet.  However, I've heard from a few people who are already set up with it in the US that, when they travel to Canada, they can use it just fine at a contactless payment terminal.

     

    So I'm guessing that the cashiers have had to deal with so many Canadians who don't understand that they need to be able to set up their credit cards before they can use Apple Pay (and that, in turn, depends on their bank supporting Apple Pay), that they just simply tell people it doesn't work now.

  • Reply 15 of 22
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,402member

    Was hoping to see Motorola Employees Credit Union (MECU) sign-on, but no such love.  :(

  • Reply 16 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    Haven't found a merchant who accepts it yet.

    I'm not familiar with your remote area, but try to locate one of these businesses: McDonald's, Subway, Whole Foods, Wagreen's, Chevron....
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sd-diversd-diver Posts: 54member
    Still no Ally bank... ????
  • Reply 18 of 22
    semi_guysemi_guy Posts: 64member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

     



    I've done it at Home Depot several times.  I always use the self checkout lines so no cashier to tell me know.  Seems to work.

     

    Only one place that had contactless payment logo had problems.  It would register and I would hold the thumb and then would fail.  They said they were having problems. I tried it several times.




    In Home Depot in Texas, ApplePay does not work at self checkout nor regular checkout. I have tried many times and always fails. Yet, they claim their contactless system works fine, they just do not support ApplePay. What a bummer!

  • Reply 19 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,895member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    I'm not familiar with your remote area, but try to locate one of these businesses: McDonald's, Subway, Whole Foods, Wagreen's, Chevron....

     

    I appreciate the vast amount of knowledge and experience posting here you must have, especially considering your join date of 2014. However, please rest assured that you are in good hands here.  Some of us have been members since before our listed registration date (January 2000 in my case), and are quite adept at dealing with condescension and snark.  

     

    I said that I had yet to encounter a vendor who accepts Apple Pay.  This is true, even in the Philly suburbs and exurbs where I live.  I don't patronize a single one of those businesses on a regular basis.  I probably walk into a McDonald's once a year to get my fix of processed "meat" and semi-gelatinous, non-dairy frozen beverages.  I avoid Subway at all costs.  Whole Foods?  What, do I live in Cleveland?  Walgreen's?  None convenient to my location.   Chevron?  Who buys gas at Chevron?  

     

    The point, my condescending friend, is that no mainstream businesses where I shop accept ApplePay yet.  Actually, I see Wegman's markets are supposed to, but I'm not sure it's been implemented yet in my location.  Home Depot doesn't  Lowe's doesn't.  My local beer distributor and pizza shop don't.  Wawa (huge in this area) doesn't.  Turkey Hill (convenience store) doesn't.  Target doesn't, nor does JC Penney, Sears.  Five Guys? Nope.  Great Clips?  Hair Cutery?  Giant food stores?  How about Citizen's Bank Park or Lincoln Financial Field?  Regal Theaters? Local restaurants?  How about nice steakhouses like Capitol Grille, Morton's and Ruth's Chris  No, no, no and no.   

     

    I'm sure they will.  But not right now.  Meanwhile, enjoy Whole Foods and Subway.  I just hope you have good healthcare coverage for the coronary you'll need, though I doubt the hospital accepts Apple Pay either.  

  • Reply 20 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    I appreciate the vast amount of knowledge and experience posting here you must have, especially considering your join date of 2014. However, please rest assured that you are in good hands here.  Some of us have been members since before our listed registration date (January 2000 in my case)

    yeah, dude, because i didn't have an earthly existence from which to generate observations with IRL until i created this account. but you did create your account earlier in time, which surely guarantees your observations to be the One True Vision of the world. so...heres your medal! wear it w/ pride, son, for it is a shield to establish the truth and merit of your words and world view, always.

    get real.

    Who buys gas at Chevron?

    uh, people looking to fill their tanks with gas? maybe?

    The point, my condescending friend, is that no mainstream businesses where I shop accept ApplePay yet. [pointless list of every place you can think of snipped]

    yes, and because you don't fill up at Chevron, that means nowhere you've ever shopped at will ever replace their POSTs w/ an NFC-equipped model! EVAR! doom! DOOOOM! i hast seen the bleak future, apple and their hair-brained Apple Pay are doomed!

    i just used AP at my 100% local salon for my last haircut. sorry about your experience with Great Clips. I'm sure they will get better with time. AP coverage that is, not the hair cuts.
Sign In or Register to comment.