Rumor: Samsung to take on Apple's iPhone 6 Plus with 5.5-inch 'Galaxy S6 Plus'

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Samsung is rumored to be just weeks away from introducing a larger version of its flagship Galaxy S6 Edge smartphone, featuring a 5.5-inch display that would match Apple's iPhone 6 Plus, and may even use the same "Plus" moniker.

The alleged "Galaxy S6 Plus" name was attributed to reliable sources by Italian website HDblog.it on Tuesday. It's expected that the larger smartphone will be a larger version of the Galaxy S6 Edge, which features a curved display on its left and right edges.

It's been said that the so-called "Galaxy S6 Plus" will feature a Super AMOLED display sized at either 5.4 or 5.5 inches, coming in a bit larger than the 5.1-inch screens on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. In comparison, Apple's iPhone 6 Plus has a 5.5-inch display, while the iPhone 6 has a 4.7-inch screen.

In addition, Samsung is also believed to be working on an even larger 5.7-inch "Galaxy Note 5" that is rumored to feature a curved back for an even thinner design. It's expected that the S Pen-equipped "Note 5" will debut at the IFA Berlin trade show in September.

Samsung had a particularly rough 2014 after Apple launched its larger iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, pushing operating profit to an all-time low. The company has seen a slight rebound so far this year thanks in part to the launch of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. But those phones have also been criticized for copying the design of Apple's iPhone 6.

If Samsung does indeed brand its larger Galaxy S6 Edge variant with the "Plus" name, and with a 5.5-inch display, it will undoubtedly draw even more criticism for aping Apple's branding and design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Just collapse already, Sammy. Exit the phone market entirely.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    What a shocking prediction. Just shocking.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And broke fandroids still deny they're buying cheap knockoffs.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    ulfhednarulfhednar Posts: 17member
    How long before Samsung changes their name to Apple* and their logo to an apple with a bite taken out of it (but with a bite 2 degrees off center of the bite in Apple's logo)?

I'm not kidding.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

HeeeLarious.

• Reply 6 of 102
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post

How long before Samsung changes their name to Apple* and their logo to an apple with a bite taken out of it (but with a bite 2 degrees off center of the bite in Apple's logo)?

I'm not kidding.

I was just going to say that. Or call their phone the Iephone.

• Reply 7 of 102
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

How original /s

I guess someone forgot to change the drum in their photocopiers, it's copying and printing the same garage shit over and over again...

• Reply 8 of 102
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

Pathetic! Samsung just don't get it. It's not about the damn screen size alone. Apple actually sold more 6 than 6+ and iPhone 6 has only 4.7" screen. 

Samsung need to stop copying what Apple do or it will make them become like Xiaomi. BTW, Samsung may think Apple will release 6S+, so they want to jump ahead with that name S6+ to create confusion, truly pathetic. Guess what, the next version of 5.5" iPhone will still be called 6+ or New 6+. LOL.

• Reply 9 of 102
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Maybe a good time for Apple to jump straight to iPhone 7 name, rather than have any Samsung 6S/S6 confusion.

• Reply 10 of 102
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Wow. Samsung really is getting lazy. They're not even trying to make it look like they're not outright copying anymore.

• Reply 11 of 102
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Maybe a good time for Apple to jump straight to iPhone 7 name, rather than have any Samsung 6S/S6 confusion.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus! What a smart naming convention by a big company! huh? 

• Reply 13 of 102
    kidrock2199kidrock2199 Posts: 143member
    pfisher wrote: »

My thoughts exactly!
  • Reply 14 of 102
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

You would think this would embarrass the Samsung sycophants. But no.

• Reply 15 of 102
    The Galaxy Note series has been out for years, well before the iPhone 6+ I might add. What exactly is Samsung "copying" here? Putting the word "Plus" in the name?

(assuming this rumor is even true, which I kind of doubt — the Galaxy Note has too much name recognition to just dump like that)
  • Reply 16 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

The Galaxy Note series has been out for years, well before the iPhone 6+ I might add. What exactly is Samsung "copying" here? Putting the word "Plus" in the name?

(assuming this rumor is even true, which I kind of doubt — the Galaxy Note has too much name recognition to just dump like that)

Note series have the pen, right? So maybe there will be a corresponding Samsung Galaxy Note S6 Edge Plus as well.

Yes, it's about the "Plus," but I really think this is just the natural evolution of larger phone naming, that's why Samsung has used it for some time already as their models grew larger and larger (do I really need the /s?). Of course, this is a rumor, so we don't know if they'll actually do it yet or not. I will chuckle if they do.

• Reply 17 of 102
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

That would seem too moronic even for that company. 

Probably leaked by a Samsung employee to torpedo the idiocy. .

• Reply 18 of 102
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    sog35 wrote: »
    you gotta kidding.  Pathetic samdung.

I think Sammy has just given up pretending that the don't copy Apple and are embracing it full force.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    vfx2k4vfx2k4 Posts: 43member

"Take on" as in taking on mountainous debt I suppose. 

• Reply 20 of 102
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member

It sounds like Samsung will be adding an additional model to the Galaxy S series.

Right now... the Galaxy S6 has a 5.1" screen. But this rumor says there might also be a 5.5" Galaxy S6 Plus.

That doesn't sound like much of a jump to even bother... especially considering they already make the Galaxy Note 4 with a 5.7" screen.

So Samsung might be planning to make a new 6" Galaxy Note soon... to separate the two product line further. Who knows.

But I don't think they will eliminate the Galaxy Note anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see how Samsung positions all these models. I wonder if they even know how to tell that story.