13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCM722 View Post

I miss using my old iMac, but it is too long in the tooth. All the versions of OS X that work well with only 2 GB RAM are far outdated.

Wait, what happened to your Yosemite beta from last fall?  You said it was running flawlessly on 2GB...? 

(No snark, just looking for the rest of the story.)

Wow, you went to the trouble to read my old post. I sort of remember saying that. It was running without issues, but it was using all of my 2 GB RAM. It was sluggish, but so was Mavericks. I could purchase more RAM, but my oldie but goodie iMac runs hot.

I have considered an old mini, perhaps one with an already expired internal HD. I would use an external HD via USB 3 or TB. I would not get a mini so old to only have USB 2. I have the original DVDs from my iMac. They are not for my iMac but for a mini, and they are Tiger. I also have retail DVDs for Leopard and Snow Leopard, and I purchased Mountain Lion. Also have it burned to DVD. A mini with 4 GB RAM would run any of my old versions of OS X fine.

I also have iLife '08 on DVD. I would much rather have a mini with a vulnerable OS than Windows 10. To me, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 are that bad.

I do still have the 2007 iMac, and it is setup with ML as the primary partition and SL as the secondary. With SL, I still have Front Row!

I still have a few issues with Apple, but nothing like my bad feelings toward HP, Dell and Microsoft.

In true Paul Harvey fashion, "Now you have the rest of the story."

Good Day!

• Reply 42 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    I still use Windows for a number of reasons. I won't go MAC. My brother has tried for 20 years and I haven't done it. Windows 8 could have almost drove me to the MAC!!! I have my iPhone 6 and iPad 3. I'd like to get a iPad Pro if rumors are true. I did Emulate a MAC on my Amiga computer back in the day so I could use Netscape! That was the #1 go to browser back then.

it's Mac, as in short for Macintosh, not "MAC", which in computers stands for Media Access Controller.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    hydrogen wrote: »
    Attempts like Windows 1.0 merely consisted in wrapping/disguising MS-DOS into a multi windows environment. Yes the MS copy machine was already active (probably based on the few prototype Macs Steve had to give to Bill, to perform the excel developments on Mac), but using the "windows" acronym is not enough ....

read about it here from the guys in the room:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=A_Rich_Neighbor_Named_Xerox.txt&showcomments=1

...microsoft's engineers began to reserve engineer the Machintosh OS as soon as they gained (early) access to it for app dev.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member

Nice to see some mostly constructive comments here. It is nice to see this new unexpected path to upgrade (The task bar notification). At a minimum, this upgrade approach is better than what they've had in the past.

To the commenter that said that bandwidth is unlimited, you just need to look back to the first few iPhone releases that could be activated over the internet. More than half of the computers connected to the internet run Windows. Cueing up the downloads is a good thing.

Also left out of this article is the rumor that the update only needs to be downloaded on one computer on a network. It is then shared to other computers. This lowers the stress on Microsoft's servers and puts some of the load on local networks. This pre-register gimmick could be how they are preparing computers to locally share a single download.

• Reply 45 of 49

I have a bootcamp partition on my 5K iMac with Windows 8.1 and I'll get Windows 10 when it is ready.

How is Microsoft going to make money? Cloud Servers? Data Centres? Hardware? 

• Reply 46 of 49
    olieonolieon Posts: 2member

I will not use the windows 10 ,Although it's free update for me

• Reply 47 of 49
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Yes the '10' is so obviously intended to blur and confuse the uniformed.

I don't disagree with much you say but you mentioned the 'last 10 years' That would be from 2005. The history in terms of release dates according to Wikipedia below. Steve's influence started with Lisa (I owned two of those beauties).

"The history of Windows dates back to September 1981, when Chase Bishop, a computer scientist, designed the first model of an electronic device and project Interface Manager was started. It was announced in November 1983 (after the Apple Lisa, but before the Macintosh) under the name "Windows", but Windows 1.0 was not released until November 1985. Windows 1.0 was to compete with Apple's operating system, but achieved little popularity.

Windows 10 is not a complete operating system; rather, it extends MS-DOS.
    "

Simply remove the decimal point (rounding error indicator)...and you could say the very same thing today... or? ;)
  • Reply 48 of 49

Anybody who claims "Windows 8 is the worst" whatever should be ignored.  The majority of those users who fall in line with the "Windows 8 is the worst" rhetoric heard it from somebody and are simply parroting the point from there.

ALMOST everyone I've talked to about Windows 8 simply didn't like the Metro interface but found the Desktop setting and will simply live there (happily) until 10 is available.

If you haven't seen Windows 10 yet, you should at least give it a shot.  Microsoft continues to show signs of renewed (creative, even) life under the direction of Satya Nadella.  It's refreshing to see them act like they give a **** again.

• Reply 49 of 49
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VonBrick View Post

Anybody who claims "Windows 8 is the worst" whatever should be ignored.  The majority of those users who fall in line with the "Windows 8 is the worst" rhetoric heard it from somebody and are simply parroting the point from there.

ALMOST everyone I've talked to about Windows 8 simply didn't like the Metro interface but found the Desktop setting and will simply live there (happily) until 10 is available.

If you haven't seen Windows 10 yet, you should at least give it a shot.  Microsoft continues to show signs of renewed (creative, even) life under the direction of Satya Nadella.  It's refreshing to see them act like they give a **** again.

I use Windows 8.1 everyday, so it isn't just "ALMOST everyone I've talked to." I have used Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, ME, XP,Vista and Windows 7. In other words, all but Windows NT and 2000. Also ran Betas of Windows 8, 8.1, and Windows 10.

On the other side of the coin, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite.

No version of Windows is as easy to live with as Mac OS. Windows 8/8.1 and 10 are faster than Windows 7, but that is all. The Window Store apps are often lame and sluggish. Sure, there are foolish apps from the Mac App Store too, but the apps I've experienced in the Windows Store are a joke.

Someday, Linux could give everyone a run for their money.