CBS bringing standalone, cable-free Showtime subscription to Apple TV [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    spicewarespiceware Posts: 15member

Hopefully they'll do better on the Mac itself than HBO Now, which looks really bad when switched to full-screen on a 1920x1080 display.  

From here (can also see full-screen grabs there), closeup from Game of Thrones on my iPad:

Same closeup, but on my Mac:

Another comparison of Rome on Amazon Prime vs. HBO Now.  Both are on my Mac Pro.

Closeup from Amazon Prime:

From HBO Now:

• Reply 22 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    They'll get their $15 a month out of me....for one month. Wait til GOT is over then binge watch 13 shows in two weeks...then cut it off.

i thought along similar lines at first, but we discovered a *lot* of HBO content we enjoyed. their entire back catalog of every show theyve ever run. and current shows like GoT, Silicon Valley, Bill Maher, Vice, etc. and the documentaries have been great. and the comedy specials...
  • Reply 23 of 36
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I got HBO + local channels + 50Mbps internet for $49/mo with Comcast which includes HBO Go, Xfinity TV Go with StreamPix (like Netflix) for free. The stand-alone internet is already at $39.99/mo. So, my TV service is way cheaper.

That's only a limited time price though. The package goes up to close to $80 after the first year. 

• Reply 24 of 36
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

GO BOLTS! Stanley Cup Finals start tonight.

Actually it's Bolts as in San Diego Chargers fan, but I will be rooting for Tampa in the Stanley Cup Finals. 

• Reply 25 of 36
    jbdragon wrote: »
    You would really have to watch a lot of HBO content to be worth paying $15 on top of anything else. It's a $180 a year. Then Showtime wants their $15, and CBS wants their $6, it makes no sense. It's just way to much money.

that isnt the objective. if you consume a lot of TV content, then systematically replacing all of that content w/ monthly internet versions isnt going to save you anything.

but if youre somebody who has *cut the cord*, which to me implies someone who has decided they dont need the all-you-can-eat-buffet of crap, then you can supplement what little content you feel is actually worth while to you.

will i pay for HBO content? yep.

netflix? yep.

CBS? nope.

hulu? nope.

etc...
  • Reply 26 of 36
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I got HBO + local channels + 50Mbps internet for $49/mo with Comcast which includes HBO Go, Xfinity TV Go with StreamPix (like Netflix) for free. The stand-alone internet is already at $39.99/mo. So, my TV service is way cheaper.

my stand-alone 60Mbps service is $70/mo. so to me there isnt much incentive to add cable tv to it.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    msantti wrote: »
    $15 + $15 + $15.............

Starts to add up quick.

macrumors updated their article to state ShowTime is $11/mo.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    For anyone who hasn't seen the show, this is worth getting for a month at least to binge watch Dexter. That said I saw it on Netflix but I'm not sure if it is still there. I watched every Game of Thrones on HBO Now and cancelled after the free month but I will buy another month in a year os so to finish the series. Yes i'm cheap I have to be to afford health insurance! :D
  • Reply 29 of 36
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

That's only a limited time price though. The package goes up to close to $80 after the first year. 

This is my third year. One phone call/year will retain the price. How hard is that?

• Reply 30 of 36

The thing to remember is no services like that would ever have come about from the likes of Comcast if not for pressure from the likes of Netflix, Apple TV etc. Comcast has eased a bit into the 21st Century only under duress.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

my stand-alone 60Mbps service is $70/mo. so to me there isnt much incentive to add cable tv to it.

You're probably not in California because we got double speed on all internet packages. For Performance 25, we get 50Mbps instead of 25Mbps like in other places.

• Reply 32 of 36
    You're probably not in California because we got double speed on all internet packages. For Performance 25, we get 50Mbps instead of 25Mbps like in other places.

You just need more water and that'd sound like paradise! ;)
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You just need more water and that'd sound like paradise! image

No I don't. I use only 50% or less of my monthly water allocation limit because I don't have pool or big yard with landscape. I in fact can use more, a lot more water without being penalized...not like others who have to take showers with their wife or kid and pee outdoor to save water...lol.

• Reply 34 of 36
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    When I called Comcast to cancel HBO they said it would take $5 off my bill. I bet when I call to cancel Showtime I am sure they are going to tell me the same $5 off. Sure was not the quoted price was when I added them. Maybe just for grins about a week after I cancel Showtime I will call back to see what it will cost to add them back. I am going to guess it will be more than $10. It is starting to get fun now. Summer is a bad time for the cable companies to have to defend their turf. With no reduction in cost all I am getting is reruns. Then after the the NBA and NHL finals their will be no major sports until September.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Paying for content is the way to go for me. I can't stand going to the movie theatre anymore.

People eat like donkey's. Shoveling popcorn (loudly) down their gullets slurping down their 52oz soda! :)

Where have proper manners gone?

Best.

Tell me about it, I had a women next to me playing candy crush every 5 minutes in Avengers last week, she kept it in her bag which apparently made it ok, at least in her mind. I'm at the point of just waiting for the movies to stream at home.

?

Thanks...good to know I'm not getting as neurotic as I thought I was! :)

Best.