What to expect from Apple's WWDC 2015 keynote: iOS 9, OS X 10.11, new Apple TV, more [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope Apple doesn't spend a lot of time on that subscription music service. This is a developer conference. Developers have next to nothing to do with a streaming music service.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

Hell, I'd be happy if they finally introduced a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad.

• Reply 23 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    It's great to see that over 20K people are reading this post, since I care about getting Plex, too. Trying to get video on my ATV3 that I didn't buy from Apple frequently requires some ridiculous compromises.

id also like a way to use a Plex plugin. there was a good essay a while back about how iOS extensions could enable this (and gaming) over p2p airplay:

http://bigzaphod.tumblr.com/post/87823968514/apples-game
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Just had my third Time Machine die. I'd vote for a reliable Time Machine.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    leeroyleeroy Posts: 27member
    It's great to see that over 20K people are reading this post, since I care about getting Plex, too. Trying to get video on my ATV3 that I didn't buy from Apple frequently requires some ridiculous compromises.

No it doesn't, it's very easy.....AirVideo.

Stream any video format in realtime to your ATV. (Even 1080p MKV rips) I've used this since I bought me ATV2 years ago. It's awesome.

http://www.inmethod.com/airvideohd/
  • Reply 26 of 53
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post

Stream any video format in realtime to your ATV. (Even 1080p MKV rips) I've used this since I bought me ATV2 years ago. It's awesome.

I'll have to check this out. One of the great things about Plex is its great interface. A lot of the client/server approaches are nothing more than basic DLNA services that let you browse folder hierarchies with no metadata nor, more importantly, the ability to track watched vs unwatched or where you've left off on partially watched content. If AirVideo doesn't have this functionality, then it's not useful to me.

Plex has brilliant support for metadata, organization, and (amongst other features) automatic offline management. For example, it can transcode and offload the last two episodes of selected shows to my iPhone for when I commute on the bus, and also manage separate offline content for my iPad when I travel, etc. And as I watch episodes of TV shows, those will automatically be replaced with the latest episodes. It's a brilliant content management system. The only missing piece is an AppleTV client. Yeah I could airplay from my phone, but I don't want to kill my phone's battery when I'm watching content on my television. Instead I have a Roku which I use for Plex, Pandora, and occasionally Spotify.

If I can get apps like these on my AppleTV, then I can take a device out of the mix.

• Reply 27 of 53
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

The Mac Pro and Mac mini are due for updates, but there have been no indications that either will be refreshed anytime soon.

Here we go...new Quad-core Broadwell SSD equipped Mac minis !!! :D

• Reply 28 of 53
    portcityportcity Posts: 68member
    Going by the WWDC logo the main attraction will be the new Apple TV and it's interface. The rest of the time will be spent on iTunes, iOS9 and OS X 10.11. I doubt there will be any other hardware mentioned since there is only so much that can be talked about in a 2 hr keynote.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Perhaps. There has mention of an iPad Pro for years now. I wouldn't mind being surprised for a change. How amazing would it be to actually see a brand new Apple product that wasn't accompanied by a ton of Chinese leaks?

Unless it's announced 4-6 months before the release day just like Apple Watch and the first iPhone. The Chinese sell leaks for money, don't you know?

• Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Here we go...new Quad-core Broadwell SSD equipped Mac minis !!! :D

That would make me very happy indeed! ;-)

(and yes, I know this was a joke)

• Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

id also like a way to use a Plex plugin. there was a good essay a while back about how iOS extensions could enable this (and gaming) over p2p airplay:

http://bigzaphod.tumblr.com/post/87823968514/apples-game

Asking Plex plugin for ATV is like asking mSD slot for iOS devices: never happen!

• Reply 32 of 53
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    How ugly is OS X 10.11? Are they going further in the direction of a cartoon interface or are they backing out to a realistic one? Will it have circles everywhere as in 10.10 and iOS? Will it continue the transition from icons to symbols, or will it return to icons that bear some relationship to the things they represent? (What does the Photos symbol have to do with Photos?)

I'm sick of the Picasso-Hanna Barbera interface and would like to see Apple return to beauty as a design criterion.

I wish Apple would promote Jony Ive to retiree.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post

Yeah, looks like this just gives you a folder-based hierarchy of content, and no metadata. It also appears that it doesn't really support the AppleTV - merely you can airplay content to it from an iOS device. I'm glad it works for you, and certainly this is a better solution than when I had my first-gen AppleTV where I would have to manually transcode content into the specific format and container it would accept, but I'll stick with Plex.

• Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Asking Plex plugin for ATV is like asking mSD slot for iOS devices: never happen!

Oh it's coming. As soon as there's an update that allows third-party apps on the AppleTV, Plex will come. It'll be right there next to Candy Crush and twenty crappy Flappy Bird clones.

Keep in mind that Plex is already available for AppleTV. 

• Reply 35 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    They must have found a way, by now, to make the Apple TV thinner. And if they haven't? Good riddance!

Precisely. The Apple TV is too thick. It should be 6mm thin, with all power, video, and sound carried via a single USB-C connector. And aluminum case. No more plastic. And Apple won't include a USB-C to HDMI adapter because that would be inelegant. /s
  • Reply 36 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    panu wrote: »
    How ugly is OS X 10.11? Are they going further in the direction of a cartoon interface or are they backing out to a realistic one? Will it have circles everywhere as in 10.10 and iOS? Will it continue the transition from icons to symbols, or will it return to icons that bear some relationship to the things they represent? (What does the Photos symbol have to do with Photos?)

I'm sick of the Picasso-Hanna Barbera interface and would like to see Apple return to beauty as a design criterion.

I wish Apple would promote Jony Ive to retiree.

Weren't the trolls complaining about how "stale" the iOS interface looked in iOS 6? Weren't the trolls all attacking Apple's use of skeuomorphic UI to the bitter end?

Rule of the troll: Apple is doomed if they do, and doomed if they don't.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Music, TV, and maps to be improved? Those are all for playtime. It'd be great if Apple would offer some improvements for those who use Macs for work. The spell checker is awful and text services still aren't up to Microsoft Word circa the late 1980s. That leaves a lot of speciality apps such as Scrivener sadly lacking in features.

Perhaps if Apple made OS X a more efficient work platform, we'd have more free time to use its play and recreational services.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Oh it's coming. As soon as there's an update that allows third-party apps on the AppleTV, Plex will come. It'll be right there next to Candy Crush and twenty crappy Flappy Bird clones.

Keep in mind that Plex is already available for AppleTV. 

You mean Jailbroken or hacked Apple TV/Mac computer? Yeah, I got bunch of apps from Cydia on my jailbroken iPhone too, but 99% of them never come to AppStore. I was talking about official support for Plex.Otherwise, hacking will be patched eventually through update just like jailbreak.

• Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You mean Jailbroken Apple TV? Yeah, I got bunch of apps from Cydia on my jailbroken iPhone too, but 99% of them never come to AppStore.

No, that's not what I meant, although the hack that allows it to run on an unbroken AppleTV is still a hack. It replaces the built-in Trailers app by using a proxy server to intercept calls to Apple's servers.

However, my point was more that, since much of the legwork is already in-place (both because of this hack, and because an iOS app already exists), I'd be surprised if Plex wasn't one of the first media apps released for the new AppleTV platform. It was out very shortly after the Fire TV was released, and came early to Chromecast too.

• Reply 40 of 53
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

The spell checker is awful...

This is the 18th time you've brought this up, on this site. 

Have you directed your concern to Apple, where they might be in a position to genuinely influence?  What did they say?