Apple to launch online TV service with support from major providers this fall, report says

Comments

• Reply 161 of 181
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

I'd be rather surprised if giving a CD to someone else wasn't allowable under the terms of service agreed to at the point of sale. And thus completely legal.

I don't think there's anything illegal about giving a CD to someone either. The illegal part is keeping the ripped files on your computer. Pre-file sharing no one really cared much about this stuff. I used to run an indie record label. Everyone knew music was shared. Making a tape for a friend was largely considered fair use, even if it was technically illegal. But attitudes changed when file sharing came about because then it became effortless to share something with millions of people.
  • Reply 162 of 181
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Hmmm, well, it certainly isn't the point of broadcast TV now, as proven by the proliferation of commercial breaks

It absofuckinglutity is the point. There is only one answer! People watch broadcast television and deal with ads specifically to be entertained (i.e.: content).

>>etc....<<

I think my point was that currently content providers don't respect

the entertainment content they convey (and thereby disrespect their public customers)

they way they do the advertising content...or they wouldn't have successfully lobbied the FCC years ago

to allow larger and larger in-show active banners over the entertainment you and I are paying for.

Not sure how that was unclear, but sorry to have incurred the semi-hysterical response.

• Reply 163 of 181
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Just because something is illegal, doesn't make is wrong dude. There's nothing wrong with people sharing content with each other.

PAY FOR IT you broke piece of shit thief.

The government and content creators/owners/providers need to crack down and sue the f*** out of these childish torrent thugs. Would love to see these losers jailed and sued for thousands and millions for theft and distribution.
  • Reply 164 of 181
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sflocal wrote: »
    It's a lot cheaper than the $110/mo I pay right now for Comcast HD and I barely watch it except for a few local programs.  Give me decent local network programming on ATV, for $30-$40 (hopefully less) and I'll cut that cable for good.  I'm tired of paying what I am, and not being given the option of more modern options.

While you're at it Apple, get out that new ATV box will ya?  Sheesh!

Why pay $110 when local channels broadcast over the air without a fee???!!!
  • Reply 165 of 181
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not part of this discussion. It has been fun reading it though. :lol:

Did you see my post script to you on page 4?
  • Reply 166 of 181
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Did you see my post script to you on page 4?

No I didn't. It was hard to keep up with you guys. :lol:

Ok now I saw it. Job is probably getting renditioned and kept at a black site, but there's no way they can cover up an assault on a military base.
  • Reply 167 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Ah, nice, I was wondering when the third AI troll would chime in! Now they're all here! Yeah!

Great argument! I’m sure people will take you seriously now that you’ve insulted people for thinking you’re a guy given that your username is a male-only name!

Come off it, dude. Of course that was on purpose; get over yourself.

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

So black people can't understand the concept of IP?

Nice strawman. Try again.

• Reply 168 of 181
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

PAY FOR IT you broke piece of shit thief.

The government and content creators/owners/providers need to crack down and sue the f*** out of these childish torrent thugs. Would love to see these losers jailed and sued for thousands and millions for theft and distribution.

Keep up with the conversation. We're talking about a CD I bought, not torrent. There's nothing wrong with me giving a friend anything I bought.

• Reply 169 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Honestly, this is one of the most shockingly unconscionable things I've read in this thread. You can dress it up any way you want, but theft is theft. Period.

I hope you -- or someone you care deeply for -- never have to depend on IP for a living.

At no point in my life will I ever rely on the government thugs to use violence against non-violent people for profit. It's a disgusting way to live.

• Reply 170 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

At no point in my life will I ever rely on the government thugs

Sure, but that’s not what he’s saying.

• Reply 171 of 181
    Quote:

I am black. And no, it's still a good analogy. IP as a concept makes no sense. People don't own ideas. Just like it was nonsense, in the past, for people to own other people.

Ok, so say while you are a work you think of a way that could make what you do easier/faster/cheaper.  You tell a coworker about it and they think it helps too.  Your coworker tells your boss about it and your boss likes the idea too.  The company implements it and it saves a bunch of money, so your coworker is given a promotion and a raise.  You get nothing.  Would you be upset?

• Reply 172 of 181
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, but that’s not what he’s saying.

It is. Just not directly.

• Reply 173 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Ok, so say while you are a work you think of a way that could make what you do easier/faster/cheaper.  You tell a coworker about it and they think it helps too.  Your coworker tells your boss about it and your boss likes the idea too.  The company implements it and it saves a bunch of money, so your coworker is given a promotion and a raise.  You get nothing.  Would you be upset?

Of course I would be upset. But to go a step further and say I claim ownership of the idea is absurd. And what if that same idea was thought up by other people simultaneously as I, which one of us owns it? Would my coworker then not own it if I told him? Information is infinitely reproducible.

• Reply 174 of 181
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

It is. Just not directly.

"not directly" means precisely that it's what YOU'RE saying, "interpreting" or "mis"interpreting  what he actually wrote.

• Reply 175 of 181
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Are you 12 years old? I mean seriously.

Ads have ruined TV. He has a very good point.
  • Reply 176 of 181
    herbapou wrote: »

or to Quebec, Canada. This is how it works here.

Had a look at that. Don't you first have to have a $30 130 channel basic bundle before getting to pick things?
  • Reply 177 of 181
    sog35 wrote: »
    what service allows you to watch live TV without commericals?

BBC? Also, even other British channels seem to place ads before a program starts. Having ads every five minutes makes TV unbearable to me. It becomes pointless. Dramas lose their impact when interrupted by ads, sports seem to be designed around ads, etc ... Paying a fee to watch live TV with ads ( and I can't see how the ads could be removed) is pointless in my opinion. Ads have ruined so much. At least have an option for higher fees for no ad entertainment. At the very least stop interrupting shows with ads every few minutes.

In any case, the battle against ads is hopeless. People will always prefer ads and mediocre programming if the price is lower. Not only are there ads interrupting shows but you have ads hidden in shows...

An Apple TV with an app show would be nice. An Apple TV which perpetuates the current ad based cable model doesn't appeal to me at least.
  • Reply 178 of 181
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    pmcd wrote: »
    Having ads every five minutes makes TV unbearable to me.

Where did this "ads every five minutes" come from?
  • Reply 179 of 181
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

In any case, the battle against ads is hopeless. People will always prefer ads and mediocre programming if the price is lower. Not only are there ads interrupting shows but you have ads hidden in shows...

An Apple TV with an app show would be nice. An Apple TV which perpetuates the current ad based cable model doesn't appeal to me at least.

I agree on the content part of the Apple TV.  If the new version is just programming delivered via the Internet with a slick new interface, but essentially perpetuates the old ad-based model, I'm not interested either.  I am, however, interested in other rumored features, especially an App Store.  With an App Store, independent content creators can create their own apps and sell content through in-app purchases.  And I think gaming will give the next Apple TV a huge boost.

What I don't understand is why we can't have it both ways when it comes to TV?  Why not offer a premium ad-free option to people who want to pay for it?  These days it would be very easy to create a variety of different options when it comes to displaying ads - and price them accordingly.  What if one could pay to shift ads to the end of the show?  I remember as a kid in Europe, all of the TV shows were ad-free, followed by a longer block of advertising.

I don't care about ads if I'm watching the evening news or a game show, but I don't want them ruining the dramatic tension and pacing of a good drama.  Assuming Apple's new TV service is actually network programming delivered via the Internet and not an on-demand type of service, if your shows are ad-free, there will be large time gaps between shows.  Pay to shift your ads to the end of the show.  You could pay on a program by program basis (shift only these shows) or for all of your content.  There are many possibilities.  I sincerely hope that Apple's upcoming TV service is more than just channels via the Internet with an Apple DVR app.

• Reply 180 of 181
    greginnjgreginnj Posts: 9member

Well said.