Updated Apple TV hardware not coming to WWDC 2015, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

If true, ridiculously disappointing.

At the very least I want a refreshed box that has 802.11ac, better AirPlay performance, and a MUCH better overhauled UI.

• Reply 22 of 68
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

So there was a RUMOR that a new AppleTV was going to be announced at the WWDC, but now a new RUMOR saying it's NOT, all the while Apple has said NOTHING!!!   Like so many RUMORS that get announced and then never happened and some people start blaming Apple for some odd reason.  Like they had anything to do with it.

Where's that Apple HDTV by the way which according to many blogs should have been released a couple years ago!!! It made ZERO sense then and still makes zero sense now.    With all the RUMORS going on with WWDC, I think many will be disappointed that the RUMOR they believed didn't happen!!!!

• Reply 23 of 68
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    OS optimizations and bug fixes only, no cableTV bundle, no new Apple TV etc...apart from the rumored Apple Music announcement, it seems like WWDC is going to turn out to be quite a dull affair this year.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I'd prefer that Apple only allow a few premiere networks / studios / game developers on ?TV.

No Flappy Bird.  Please.

Why?

Would you be forced to watch or play other choices than your personal ones?

..."Apple Anounces SockRolid TV"..

• Reply 25 of 68
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Why?

Would you be forced to watch or play other choices than your personal ones?

..."Apple Anounces SockRolid TV"..

It's OK to have hundreds of apps on your iPhone on multiple home screens.

It would be terrible to have hundreds of apps on your ?TV on multiple home screens.

Unless there were a convenient way to launch exactly the one you want, say, ESPN.

E.g. "Hey Siri, show me ESPN."

Even better, maybe Siri could obviate the "app-as-content-silo" model.

"Hey Siri, show me all movies and episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation featuring Ashley Judd."

That's my version of "SockRolid TV."

What's yours?

• Reply 26 of 68
    NYT used to provide NEWS, not speculate on rumours. Actually, it used to be that news was about actual facts. Now it's all about speculation so that maybe, just maybe, you can say how smart you were when you happened to be right.

I want real news back.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Modern journalism consists of waiting for a scammer with an axe to grind to give you a call, then parrotingthe tipt to the masses, as long as it fits your ideology. But then if it didn't you wouldn't have been contacted as the useful idiot you are. The only things lower than a journalist is a political science major or a snake's duodenum. But I repeat myself.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    portcityportcity Posts: 68member
    This is one of the few areas in which Apple is being steamrolled by the competition (Roku and Chromecast). I know the Apple TV is a small revenue stream for Apple but they at least need to add a lot more channels and update the user interface for users next week.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    NYT used to provide NEWS, not speculate on rumours. Actually, it used to be that news was about actual facts. Now it's all about speculation so that maybe, just maybe, you can say how smart you were when you happened to be right.

I want real news back.

Majority, People don't want the truth. They want to read the juicy rumors.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hardly. That rounded rec could be anything. Could be iOS app icon. This rumor coming out a few days before WWDC means one thing to me: Apple managing expectations. The bigger question is why it's taking so long to get something out the door. IMO it's silly for Apple to wait until all the content deals are in place.

With all due respect to random internet posters like yourself, I think I trust Apple's judgement on what is silly and what is not, based on the fact that they have 100% of the information that is factored into these decisions and conclusions, and you have exactly zero. It takes a certain kind of narcissism and naivety to make statements like yours, to assume Apple is making "silly" decisions, based on their historical performance. If Apple has big plans for the AppleTV, they're not going to compromise a strong launch by getting out the door earlier than ideal, in order to satisfy some restless internet posters while sacrificing the goodwill of everyone else. 

• Reply 31 of 68
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    So there was a RUMOR that a new AppleTV was going to be announced at the WWDC, but now a new RUMOR saying it's NOT, all the while Apple has said NOTHING!!!   Like so many RUMORS that get announced and then never happened and some people start blaming Apple for some odd reason.  Like they had anything to do with it.

Where's that Apple HDTV by the way which according to many blogs should have been released a couple years ago!!! It made ZERO sense then and still makes zero sense now.    With all the RUMORS going on with WWDC, I think many will be disappointed that the RUMOR they believed didn't happen!!!!
    What you blabbering about?
    AppleTV is long overdue for an update. Rumor or no rumors.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

[...] The bigger question is why it's taking so long to get something out the door. IMO it's silly for Apple to wait until all the content deals are in place.

With all due respect to random internet posters like yourself, I think I trust Apple's judgement on what is silly and what is not, based on the fact that they have 100% of the information that is factored into these decisions and conclusions, and you have exactly zero. It takes a certain kind of narcissism and naivety to make statements like yours, and assuming Apple is making "silly" decisions, based on their historical performance. 

+1  you feel it's silly, I feel it's risk averse.  Apple takes enough Billion dollar risks (most succeed [OSX, migration to x86, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Aseries, Watch], some fail [GTAT], MobileMe)  that when they don't take the risk, I'm comfortable they've done their due diligence.

If you feel it's silly, buy a share of apple and start a proxy fight to throw Tim Cook out the door for all his silliness.  

• Reply 33 of 68
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

That's ok.

I mean, Apple's got Drake as a DJ, right? So they're crushing it, even without an ?TV that isn't a laughing stock by todays standards.

Just so long as I'm out of my stock position before the end of the keynote.

• Reply 34 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 35 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    +1  you feel it's silly, I feel it's risk averse.  Apple takes enough Billion dollar risks (most succeed [OSX, migration to x86, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Aseries, Watch], some fail [GTAT], MobileMe)  that when they don't take the risk, I'm comfortable they've done their due diligence.

If you feel it's silly, buy a share of apple and start a proxy fight to throw Tim Cook out the door for all his silliness.  

I own AAPL stock. I think Apple is woefully behind the competition in this space. And waiting for some sort of utopia in terms of content deals is silly in my opinion. Even if all the content deals or to hammer it out yet Apple could at least update the hardware and UI so it's on par with the competition.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

I own AAPL stock. I think Apple is woefully behind the competition in this space. And waiting for some sort of utopia in terms of content deals is silly in my opinion. Even if all the content deals or to hammer it out yet Apple could at least update the hardware and UI so it's on par with the competition.

I own AAPL stock too. And my faith in Apple has been rewarded handsomely. And I think that Apple knows what the **** it's doing, as they have proven to the world countless times. The "competition" right now is irrelevant. These dirt cheap Roku or Amazon boxes are not a very lucrative market, and Apple should be in no rush to get something out the door simply to "compete" with these irrelevant products. Apple also took it's sweet time with it's payment solution, and did not release anything before all the pieces were ready- and we see how that is turning out. Releasing it sooner would have stunted momentum and growth. 

• Reply 37 of 68
    greginnjgreginnj Posts: 9member

I can live with it if no new hardware is announced for another few months. Mostly, I want new channels and a new UI, if possible from WWDC. I have three ATV's and I'm okay with not going out and buying three new ones in the short-term. I like the fact that they've been continually adding new channels the last year or so.

• Reply 38 of 68
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Quote:

Hardly. That rounded rec could be anything. Could be iOS app icon. This rumor coming out a few days before WWDC means one thing to me: Apple managing expectations. The bigger question is why it's taking so long to get something out the door. IMO it's silly for Apple to wait until all the content deals are in place.

Or it could be the Apple Watch screen? Maybe the new Apple TV could be the round pill box thingy in the banner. I think people need to chill and stop with all the speculations. Secondly, if I remember, this is a Developer Conference, so there is probably no hardware announcements. Maybe they will be announcing Apple Watch SDK to build native Apple Watch apps.

• Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:

Re/Code is also saying no new ?TV at WWDC.

http://recode.net/2015/06/03/apples-new-apple-tv-box-will-also-be-a-no-show-at-wwdc

but but but its long overdue for an update.

• Reply 40 of 68
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    rogifan wrote: »

Woefully behind Is a bit dramatic. They are not behind, but rather on par with what is out there. I have both Roku and ATVs and the ATV is the better interface by far. Roku has more of a channel selection, but most are shit or need a subscription if you want to do more than watch a few clips. Haven't used a FireTv but have Prime video on the Roku so my kids can watch Nick cartoons. They all do similar things and if anything it took them 3 years to catch up to the ATV. They even modeled their look after it. Apple will update it when they have the supporting features in place and the rest of the industry will copy again as usual.