What to expect from Apple's WWDC 2015 keynote: iOS 9, OS X 10.11, new Apple TV, more [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    msantti wrote: »
    There won't be no new Apple TV.

Not going to show a new one without the TV service.

Be happy to eat crow though. I like mine lightly seasoned.

I suspect you will be murdered.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

This is the 18th time you've brought this up, on this site. 

Have you directed your concern to Apple, where they might be in a position to genuinely influence?  What did they say?

What I find curious about this is that I've never been the least bit bothered by the spell check in OSX. On the contrary, having a system-wide spell check is one of zillions of reasons I find OSX to be superior to Windows.

• Reply 43 of 53
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

They must have found a way, by now, to make the Apple TV thinner. And if they haven't? Good riddance!

Why?  Do you keep yours in your pocket?

• Reply 44 of 53

Rather than all the new stuff many people are talking about, I'd rather see Apple fix some old stuff. Pages needs linked text boxes and better DOCX export, and could we please pick a file format and stick with it? Numbers needs pivot tables, better printed page layout, and better XLSX export. Notes could use more formatting options like tables. Favicon's in Safari. Fixing the editing capabilities in Photos or just give me back my iPhoto. Fixing the persistent WiFi and DNS connection issues. 

• Reply 45 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I would like to see Apple start a game studio. Microsoft did it, and Apple always say that they are the artistic ones.

• Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I am guessing the remote will assist with games, and the App Store will allow for games, as well as streaming, possibly even browsers?

I'm not buying this idea of a touch/touchscreen remote. That will add significant cost, and there's already an AppleTV remote with a touchscreen. How many AppleTV owners do you suppose don't already have an iOS device? When I need a more functional remote (selecting music, using a keyboard to enter text) I use my iPhone. However, most of the time I use a Harmony remote to control my AppleTV. I don't want to have another remote control.

• Reply 47 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by droslovinia View Post

It's great to see that over 20K people are reading this post, since I care about getting Plex, too. Trying to get video on my ATV3 that I didn't buy from Apple frequently requires some ridiculous compromises.

Compromises?  I use Air Video HD almost daily to stream my own content via external HD's from either iPad or iPhone to my ATV's. A small piece of server software on your main machine is all you need beside the app, and it uses VLC media player as the decoder. I can play MKV, AVI and any other non Apple compliant codecs with no problems. No more handbrake re-encoding!  Air Video HD is probably my most used app;  It even allows remote access so I can pop an ATV in my bag when we travel and have all of my movies and content on tap.

I have 2 external drives totaling 6TB connected to my mini so I don't have to worry about it running out of HD space.

Wow I just realized that I sound like a commercial for Air Video, but I really enjoy the app. :) 

It seems a lot of folks have ATV's and don't fully know how they can be used.

• Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcs2305 View Post

Compromises?  I use Air Video HD almost daily to stream my own content via external HD's from either iPad or iPhone to my ATV's. A small piece of server software on your main machine is all you need beside the app, and it uses VLC media player as the decoder. I can play MKV, AVI and any other non Apple compliant codecs with no problems. No more handbrake re-encoding!  Air Video HD is probably my most used app;  It even allows remote access so I can pop an ATV in my bag when we travel and have all of my movies and content on tap.

It seems a lot of folks have ATV's and don't fully know how they can be used.

Yes, but again, this isn't really using your Apple TV - there are plenty of apps for iOS that will playback content which can then be AirPlayed to an Apple TV. It works, but isn't ideal. I want a native app running on my AppleTV so that I don't have to kill the battery in my iPhone watching content. Likewise, I can use Plex on my iOS device to AirPlay content to my Apple TV. It works, but it still requires my iPhone to be charged and tied up pushing video.

A native Plex client on Apple TV will solve this. 

• Reply 49 of 53
    jacodbjacodb Posts: 23member
    I hope they will increase the free iCloud allowance.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Windows 10 has this feature called Universal Apps where you can download a single app that will run on your phone, tablet or computer. I think Apple will introduce something similar at WWDC.

• Reply 51 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Know what I’d like to see them add? (maybe it’s there already, but for the life of me I can’t find it)

Health needs to be able to show a TIGHTER version of distance walked over time. If I go for a walk, I should be able to see when that started, how far I went (since that started), etc. Also, it doesn’t calculate calories based on the movement data the iPhone itself collects, so I have to calculate that on my own, but I can’t do that without knowing some basic things. I don’t know how quickly I walk (it’s really fast), so I went to go calculate it. Can’t do that because it won’t parse out data smaller than by ‘day’.

Originally Posted by MLinneer View Post

Rather than all the new stuff many people are talking about, I'd rather see Apple fix some old stuff.

Oh, is it that time again?

Safari refuses to remember my plugin settings. “Allow Always” means “I’ll allow it for a few hours and then make you do it all over again”. URL prediction is worthless. It needs to be redone. 

iTunes… just redo it. Oh, and my custom icon refuses to show up in the Dock.

FaceTime needs to be merged with Messages, and seeing 4-way video and 10-way audio through Apple channels would be great, since AOL probably won’t be around for much longer and all of iChat’s really great features will be going away.

I’d love for Airport Utility to show a visual representation of the computers connected to the network. This is an old (design-wise) mockup I did (of a different utility) that illustrates this.

AirPort Utility only shows the connected MAC addresses. That’s useless. I don’t care about them. I don’t know them. I don’t want to know them. It doesn’t even show the NAMES that I gave every single piece of hardware so that they’d be differentiated. Apple, you have all these 1024x1024 icons of every single model of computer you’ve made in the last 9 years in the OS already; MAKE USE OF THEM!

What else… I know there’s else. I can never remember anything.

• Reply 52 of 53
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    I just want Siri to help me find the remote.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tjwal wrote: »
    I just want Siri to help me find the remote.

And the other sock. :lol: