Apple Watch coming to retail stores, 7 more countries on June 26

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2015
The Apple Watch will be available to purchase in retail stores on June 26, Apple announced Thursday, the same day that availability will expand to Italy, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland and Taiwan.

In addition to Apple retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers, the company will expand its network of boutique stores that carry the Watch. New outlets will include 10 Corso Como in Milan, BOONTHESHOP Cheongdam in Seoul and Malmaison by The Hour Glass in Singapore, which will all carry what Apple calls "a curated selection" of Watch models.

"The response to Apple Watch has surpassed our expectations in every way, and we are thrilled to bring it to more customers around the world," Apple operations chief Jeff Williams said in a release. "We're also making great progress with the backlog of Apple Watch orders, and we thank our customers for their patience. All orders placed through May, with the sole exception of Apple Watch 42 mm Space Black Stainless Steel with Space Black Link Bracelet, will ship to customers within two weeks. At that time, we'll also begin selling some models in our Apple Retail Stores."

The Apple Watch is currently available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK and the U.S. Sales have been conducted exclusively online --?with the exception of a handful of high-end department stores and boutiques in the U.S., UK, and Japan --?until now.

After a shaky start that saw some models delayed by as long as 8 weeks, Apple has begun to catch up with Apple Watch demand and many versions are now shipping in as little as 5 days. The company has yet to reveal sales figures for its new wearable, but some sales insight may come during next week's keynote address at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    really curious to find out if it's mostly a supply side constraint or if it's demand that's off the charts. hope it's the latter. still on the fence about getting mine.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

really curious to find out if it's mostly a supply side constraint or if it's demand that's off the charts. hope it's the latter. still on the fence about getting mine.

It is both.

There is nothing to be on the fence about. It is a great product. Just don't expect a full fledged iOS device on your wrist and you won't be disappointed.

I never wanted that. I wanted it to be what it is: an extension of iPhone.

• Reply 3 of 21
    cyberzombiecyberzombie Posts: 258member

I wonder how long the overnight lines will be at iStores?

• Reply 4 of 21
    gregquinngregquinn Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I wanted it to be what it is: an extension of iPhone.

Yep, that's how I use mine and it's really useful. I've almost completely stopped taking my iPhone out of my pocket every few minutes.

My concern is when onboard apps start appearing when the native watchkit appears next week (and I can think of a million great apps for it), battery life will start to become an issue for many - right now, when I go home at night it's usually at 65% plus.

• Reply 5 of 21
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

Yep, that's how I use mine and it's really useful. I've almost completely stopped taking my iPhone out of my pocket every few minutes.

My concern is when onboard apps start appearing when the native watchkit appears next week (and I can think of a million great apps for it), battery life will start to become an issue for many - right now, when I go home at night it's usually at 65% plus.

I don't think so; the native apps won't be hammering the BT/WiFi connection for data, which should save some power. Native apps are still months away, the SDK isn't even out yet.

• Reply 6 of 21
    gregquinngregquinn Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I don't think so; the native apps won't be hammering the BT/WiFi connection for data, which should save some power. Native apps are still months away, the SDK isn't even out yet.

The Native watch SDK gets released next week and we don't know when Apple will be accepting watch apps for the app store. What makes you think native watch apps won't be hammering BT and WiFi? Many watch apps will likely be connected apps.

• Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

iStores?

• Reply 8 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It is both.

There is nothing to be on the fence about. It is a great product. Just don't expect a full fledged iOS device on your wrist and you won't be disappointed.

I never wanted that. I wanted it to be what it is: an extension of iPhone.

This is one problem I have with Apple’s stealth marketing. It lets the hype get way out of hand. By staying quiet and not responding to most rumors, by letting analysts and talking heads say wild things, by ignoring all the jerkpunditry out there, some people DO get over  inflated ideas as to what the Apple Watch is. The real thing then disappoints them and they whine, cry, and rant about it on forums. The disappointment factor then proliferates.

Andy Ihnatko said on MacBreak Weekly that he was going to use the Apple Watch for an entire month before he even thinks about his review of it. Most reviewers want to get their words out as quickly as possible and make egregious statements about design and function that turn out to be wrong so many times. Yes, you can turn that feature off as it turns out. Yes, you can do what you said you couldn’t do with the watch.

• Reply 9 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Don't most really useful apps hit the internet? I don't see a decrease in network activity as very likely.

• Reply 10 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

iStores?

iThink this is where iApple sells iOS, iMacs, iPhones, iAppleTVs, iWatches, iCloud, iPads, iPods, iOSX, iBooks, iSoftware and iAccessories.

• Reply 11 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I ordered a 42mm SG Sport hours after the store opened online on 4/10. It arrived 6/1, and I am generally pleased with the device. I was hugely excited when it was announced in September, and have been following the story for nearly 9 months.

It's a watch. It's cool. But not worth the 9 months of anticipation. 

• Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

iThink this is where iApple sells iOS, iMacs, iPhones, iAppleTVs, iWatches, iCloud, iPads, iPods, iOSX, iBooks, iSoftware and iAccessories.

Just being lazy - Apple retail stores is what I meant to type.

• Reply 13 of 21
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gregquinn wrote: »
    The Native watch SDK gets released next week and we don't know when Apple will be accepting watch apps for the app store. What makes you think native watch apps won't be hammering BT and WiFi? Many watch apps will likely be connected apps.

as for when, we kinda do know -- Williams said this fall.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lkrupp wrote: »

This is one problem I have with Apple’s stealth marketing. It lets the hype get way out of hand. By staying quiet and not responding to most rumors, by letting analysts and talking heads say wild things, by ignoring all the jerkpunditry out there, some people DO get over  inflated ideas as to what the Apple Watch is. The real thing then disappoints them and they whine, cry, and rant about it on forums. The disappointment factor then proliferates.

not really - the whiners on tech forums are outliers and do not represent much of apple's vast, vast customer base. this is why you seem them complain every time their needs don't match the generalist consumer's needs.

also, responding to rumors would be a mistake.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

iStores?

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Just being lazy - Apple retail stores is what I meant to type.

@ Cyberzombie

Thanks for the clarification. Otherwise, some would think that Apple is in the petroleum business

• Reply 16 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

I ordered a 42mm SG Sport hours after the store opened online on 4/10. It arrived 6/1, and I am generally pleased with the device. I was hugely excited when it was announced in September, and have been following the story for nearly 9 months.

It's a watch. It's cool. But not worth the 9 months of anticipation. 

I can't think of a single technology product "worth" 9 months of anticipation, even the original iPhone. Most people who will buy the Apple Watch are not these kinds of people. Every single product will be a let down if you anticipate it for months, and I remember countless posts about how the iPhone was '"overhyped" and "did not live up to expectations" on 1st day of release. 

• Reply 17 of 21
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I can't think of a single technology product "worth" 9 months of anticipation, even the original iPhone. Most people who will buy the Apple Watch are not these kinds of people. Every single product will be a let down if you anticipate it for months, and I remember countless posts about how the iPhone was '"overhyped" and "did not live up to expectations" on 1st day of release. 

You would still have 9 months of rumors and leaked photos of watch parts if Apple waited until May 2015 announce the watch.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    You would still have 9 months of rumors and leaked photos of watch parts if Apple waited until May 2015 announce the watch.

Agree. I think Apple did the right thing by announcing the ?Watch when they did and perfected it while we waited. Tim did not wanted another iPhone 4 incident
  • Reply 19 of 21
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Andy Ihnatko said on MacBreak Weekly that he was going to use the Apple Watch for an entire month before he even thinks about his review of it. Most reviewers want to get their words out as quickly as possible and make egregious statements about design and function that turn out to be wrong so many times. Yes, you can turn that feature off as it turns out. Yes, you can do what you said you couldn’t do with the watch.

So basically you re suggesting that something that Apple has no control over , they should go out of their way to address every pimply mouth troll with an agenda. Can you even  imagine the effect of this  feeding the trolls would have? Oh dear God.... help me forgive give some people's total stupidity

• Reply 20 of 21
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistis View Post

So basically you re suggesting that something that Apple has no control over , they should go out of their way to address every pimply mouth troll with an agenda. Can you even  imagine the effect of this  feeding the trolls would have? and the accusations of over bearing  control from Apple. Oh dear God.... help me forgive some people's total stupidity