Apple TV leaps into first place as iOS dominates online video market, Adobe reports

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
Adobe's Digital Index team on Thursday issued a report on video viewing and browsing ahead of Apple's WWDC, noting that Apple TV has doubled its share in premium video viewing to overtake Roku as iOS devices in general widen their lead over Android and other competitors.

Adobe video report Q1 2015

Based on stats the group called "the most comprehensive report of its kind," examining 200 billion online video plays, 2.85 billion "TV Anywhere" authenticated video streams and 500 billion website visits, Adobe has detailed that Apple TV "doubled its share of premium video viewing in just one quarter from 5% in Q4 '14 to 10% in Q1 '15 - overtaking Roku."

Additionally, iOS on mobile devices has increased its share of premium video views to now account for 47 percent, while desktop and mobile browser-based video has sank "to a new low" at 14 percent, while Android devices remained flat at 15 percent, less than a third of the video pie slice claimed by Apple's platform.

Among unauthenticated video views, Adobe said that Apple's iOS is even larger, claiming a dominant 82 percent share of that market segment. Additionally, Adobe stated that Apple devices "currently drive 62 percent of all authenticated pay-for-TV video views."

"Apple is sitting in the catbird seat because of its dominant position with access to consumers and a wealth of video data," stated Tamara Gaffney a principal analyst at ADI. "The challenge will be to see if it can monetize the strategy fast enough to get ahead of the movement away from linear TV toward digital viewing. Apple is clearly looking to play in the video-streaming market, and the growth of that market is a big indicator as to why."

"Everywhere TV," including on-demand video services such as Netflix, Hulu and HBO Go and over 300 related sites and apps, "has dramatically shifted trends in TV programming consumption--impacting ad-buying strategies as a result," the group noted.

Apple TV and iOS, particularly on iPad, have pioneered and embraced the business model of Everywhere TV, and Apple has capitalized on the demand for flexible, user-driven mobile video by offering a premium mobile hardware experience and regularly enhancing its products for consumers with constant, incremental updates.

Apple's Everywhere TV share grew from 60 percent of the market one year ago to 62 percent, with growth among Apple TV users doubling while video plays on Macs decreased. Apple's share growth increased even as the overall market grew substantially, by 282 percent.

Adobe reported year over year growth for Q1 benefitting iOS and connected TV devices including Apple TV, while browser growth (dominated by Google's Chrome) remained nearly flat and video viewing on Android actually decreased, enabling iOS to surpass the larger installed base of devices making some use of Google's mobile software.

Specific to mobile devices, Adobe reports that "online video viewing on mobile devices is being dominated by Apple. The introduction of iPhone 6 and 6+ has only escalated the growth that Apple has seen within online video viewing."

The group further noted that "iPhone share of online video starts has a commanding lead over other smartphones with over two thirds of smartphone online video starts," and that iPad has an even larger piece of the tablet video viewing pie with more than four fifths of online video starts."

However, Adobe also noted that outside of smartphones and tablets, set top boxes like Apple TV acting as a "connected device" are increasingly driving consumers into "becoming deeply engaged with content watching more than iOS and Android users," a trend that appears to underly Apple's strategy in fleshing out its Apple TV offerings.

Apple has been rumored to be working on an enhanced Apple TV and a new subscription TV service bundle, although recent reports have suggested that the company won't be introducing new TV-oriented products or initiatives as its developer-centric WWDC week long conclave scheduled to kick off in San Francisco next week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    But but but stale...
    But but but long overdue for refresh...
  • Reply 2 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Very interesting. This hobby is getting more serious. Hopefully the new Apple TV also gets Siri-ous.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    I wonder if it kills them to know that the #1 video consumer online will never ever support Flash. LOL. Thanks for the survey, boys. Perhaps read the writing you just put on the wall.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    elmoofo wrote: »
    I wonder if it kills them to know that the #1 video consumer online will never ever support Flash. LOL. Thanks for the survey, boys. Perhaps read the writing you just put on the wall.

They already have acknowledged that Flash will not be the technology of choice in the future and are now prioritizing their developments in standards based tech.

It's just a matter of time before Flash is completely deprecated, but it's going to take time for everyone to get up to speed. Most tech companies don't develop at Apple's or Google's speed, and are reluctant to let go of older tech.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    How does Adobe manage to collect all of this data, again..?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    But but but stale...

I know right? Aren't they supposed to be woefully behind Roku, Amazon, and Google?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

So where the **** are all the trolls insisting that Apple is being "steamrolled" in this area just yesterday? 

Apparently, even the "infinitely superior" $29 basically-free chromecast can't outsell the "pathetic" Apple TV. 

• Reply 8 of 33
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Hmm, Macworld report on same topic says this..

"The Adobe index took into account anonymous data from Adobe marketing cloud’s clients, mainly network and cable broadcasters that offer paid streaming of their premium TV content. The data did not include streaming-only services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, nor free YouTube views."

yet AI report says this..

"Everywhere TV," including on-demand video services such as Netflix, Hulu and HBO Go and over 300 related sites and apps, "has dramatically shifted trends in TV programming consumption--impacting ad-buying strategies as a result," the group noted.

Edit: Looks like the original report only refers to Netflix/Hulu etc streaming as a general trend in the industry and not sources of data for this report.

• Reply 9 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    How does Adobe manage to collect all of this data, again..?
    Adobe Analytics for one. They show up as a tracker (Ghostery reveals it) even on Apple's main site so obviously they're on good terms. My guess would be Apple also uses them to track things like the premium video viewership mentioned here.
    http://www.adobe.com/marketing-cloud/web-analytics.html
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Doubled!

I wonder how much HBO Now helped, and whether we'll see more networks jump on board to finally challenge cable. This is big for AAPL.

That being said, I know Suddenly Newton is ok with having 4 year old hardware, and Apple TV is succeeding with ease of use and content despite dated internals, but it's time for some 4K netflix for people who want to use AppleTV with their 4k HDTVs. Consumer complacency and contentment is probably why we haven't seen a refresh! I want a higher tier $199 4k Apple TV for techies and a $99 lower 1080p tier for bums like Suddenly Newton so both can contribute to AAPL's bottom line.

AAPL to $200!!!
  • Reply 11 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elmoofo View Post

I bet you didn't know the #1 way to build rich HTML5 content is with Flash CC. It is so fast and clean and really easy to make incredible animations. You just build it like normal Flash and then export to HTML5. Genius really.

• Reply 12 of 33
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member

I was prepared to order two units on Monday.  Just as soon as the Apple store opened - 2 new Apple TV orders were going to be placed.  Pre-orders if need be - at any price they listed (within reason).  But, since they are postponing the Apple TV, I had no choice but to order 1 of the 3rd Gen for $69 on Amazon (actually $63).

I will wait to order the Apple TV 4th Gen.  Just time to refresh the equipment.

• Reply 13 of 33
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    And yet every Apple oriented podcast I listen to (MacBreak, AI, Clockwise, etc.) will continue their relentless drumbeat of how awful it is. Mine sits innocuously amongst my entertainment devices, doing its job when called upon relatively painlessly. It's not the greatest device, but it does the job without making me crazy. Apple fans are spoiled. Unless every device is miles ahead of the competition they judge it a fail. Sometimes good enough is good enough. Apple's competitors have known this for years.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So where the **** are all the trolls insisting that Apple is being "steamrolled" in this area just yesterday? 

Apparently, even the "infinitely superior" $29 basically-free chromecast can't outsell the "pathetic" Apple TV. 

Looking for hairs to split, apparently.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mstone wrote: »

I bet you didn't know the #1 way to build rich HTML5 content is with Flash CC. It is so fast and clean and really easy to make incredible animations. You just build it like normal Flash and then export to HTML5. Genius really.

So ... are you saying we are at last at the point where everything possible to do in Flash, however complex, can now be exported and works in HTML5? I was under the impression that was a bit of a compromise. For example, e-cards from Jacquie Lawson don't have the same features on an iPad as they do on a Mac with Flash, last time I checked, or she just not doing it right? That aside, I still feel we need better HTML5 authoring tools that are intuitive to use.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    hodar wrote: »

I was prepared to order two units on Monday.  Just as soon as the Apple store opened - 2 new Apple TV orders were going to be placed.  Pre-orders if need be - at any price they listed (within reason).  But, since they are postponing the Apple TV, I had no choice but to order 1 of the 3rd Gen for $69 on Amazon (actually $63).

I will wait to order the Apple TV 4th Gen.  Just time to refresh the equipment.

We'll see what happens. It wouldn't be the first time rumors of delay turned out to be false. On the other hand, I'm don't doubt some have been true before.

I've never had an Apple TV, because the PS3 and 4 which I was going to buy anyway already had all the features I truly needed. But I'm very curious to see what the new one will bring. My only issue is that I will need to buy a new receiver as well (not enough HDMI on my current one), so that will increase the cost of ownership by $300-500.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »

Learn to read. These are not sales.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

But but but, Chromcast was the hit. No? This proves that Android folks don't like to pay for anything. They'd rather get it free somewhere like pivacy copies or peer to peer and torrent.

• Reply 19 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But but but stale...

What do people want with a new Apple TV?  They say they want a new one, OK, why?  Just so you can say it's new?  ROKU just updated their Streaming boxes and really didn't do all that much.  Pretty minor things.  No dumb 4K which is you had half a brain would know why 4K is dumb.  The only real home 4K source right now is that one Sony 4K player.  A Real 4K movie is way to large to fit on a normal Blu-Ray Disc at 50 Gig's in size.   Even 1080P isn't really being streamed.  It's 1080P highly compressed from around 30 Gig's to maybe 5 Gig's or so.  Sorry, but you lose a crapload of data doing that.  It looks good enough for most people, but when I buy a season pass, I'll just get the SD version.  Trying to tell the difference from SD to HD, it's Minor because they're almost the same.   Now you expect to stream 4K, so what's a normal steaming size of a 4K Movie? 10 Gig's?    You know what you see looking at one of those HUGE screens at a movie theater?  A lot of times it says right on the screen before the movie starts, Digital 4K!!!  If you have one of those screens at home, Hey 4K would be needed.

So what else?  I'd like to see a App store.  I get annoyed with Apple just throwing up every single new Streaming App they put on it only so I have to waste my time checking it, seeing that I can't use it, and then deleting it because I cut the cord and so don't have a Cable TV subscription that's needed to use it!!!  Give me a App store and if I want it, I can grab it my self!!!  That could easily be done with a software update for the AppleTV 3.

Maybe in turn with a App store A faster AppleTV which you could run iOS games on and use a controller.  Apple acquired the company that designed the first Microsoft kinect and yet has done nothing with it.  Why not a New Apple TV with a optional Kinect type device you can plug into it. I guess used for games, but also to give you Siri Control, which can be nice for home automation and Facetime support!!!  Keep the price down for just the Box and in you want the Kinect device, another $99.  Apple needs to keep the price down at $99. 

Just saying new AppleTV, New AppleTV and that's it???  For how old it is now, it's pretty much keeping up with everyone else.  Apple has been adding a lot of streaming services to it.   Just throwing out a new one wit a few minor tweaks?  Why!  it needs to be a Major big deal!!!  

• Reply 20 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That sounds pretty cool  If you're used to using FLASH, this sounds like a simple way to continue that but instead of FLASH being the end result, HTML5 is.  That's pretty smart of them.  Also keep all them people using Adobe products.