Samsung says '6>6' in new Galaxy S6 Edge ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
In its never ending quest to one-up Apple, Samsung on Thursday revealed a new ad campaign counting the ways the partially curved Galaxy S6 Edge display outperforms iPhone 6. The spots come with the cheeky tagline, "When you do the math it's clear, six is greater than six."

Two 30-second commercials comprise the "6>6" campaign, each touting "the edge" Samsung's Galaxy S6 Edge has over Apple's iPhone 6, no matter how trivial -- arguably useless -- it may be.

For the uninitiated, Samsung's Edge is a Galaxy S6 variant with a flexible OLED display wrapping partially around both sides of the handset. A specialized UI is thus capable of rendering, to varying effect, visual cues and interactive content along these strips of screen.

One ad spotlights Edge Lighting, a visual UI alert that flashes different colors on the curved bits of screen when a top-five contact calls and the handset is face down (the phone automatically mutes itself in this position). iPhone, by contrast, can only vibrate. Unsurprisingly, no mention is made of Apple's LED alert Accessibility option.

Another thing iPhone can't do: wide-angle selfies. The Galaxy S6 Edge boasts a 5-megapixel, 120-degree front-facing camera that produces screen-filling images even in landscape mode, while the iPhone 6's 1.2MP FaceTime shooter spits out 1,280-by-980-pixel shots.

Samsung also points to Edge's ability to display texts, news, stocks and other information on its semi-sidewall panel segments, great for viewing single lines of text at extreme angles like when your Galaxy is placed at eye-level on a credenza, or perhaps when you're resting your head on a table after an epic wide-angle selfie session.

Not all claims are fluff, however, as Samsung makes a legitimate argument for quick wireless charging. Apple recently dipped its toe into the inductive power pool with Apple Watch, but the process is slow, finicky and may not make it to iPhone anytime soon.

Today's commercials come a month after Samsung seemingly borrowed from Apple's PR style whole cloth with an ad containing shot-for-shot recreations of Apple Watch promo footage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    So... Samsung can't do math, places way too much importance on selfies (when actually I can do panoramas on my year old iPhone just as easily...) and has a useless curved strip on either side of the screen. Just another bother when it comes to landscape screen operation.

Man, they are really going to have to hype this thing to death. And they'll be doing it with Apple showing them how. Lol

Looking forward to the forthcoming iPhone 6s.

Took them long enough just to (possibly) catch up to the 6. But the 6s is out soon enough. So who cares about Samsung.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

or perhaps when you're resting your head after an epic wide-angle selfie session.

Ooh, some nice snark here! I approve! :D

• Reply 3 of 42
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    They are so great at creating features no one needs and trying to spin them inta an advantage. This company is a pathetic.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    So, by that logic, Samsung S6 is a bad smartphone? Why do Samsung ads always shoot their own products in the foot?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Samsung can suck it. I wouldn't buy their crapware. Ever. I won't buy anything with their logo on it. I don't reward thieves.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

LOL. This is why Samsung never stop creating fucking gimmicks since fandroids love these. Seriously, who the fck cares about the edge for phone call notification? It's because only idiots would place the phone upside down to utilize that feature.

Oh, you have entire 5+inch screen and you  use the 3mm side screen to flip through for information? That's the most stupid one ever. I can understand the swipe on the edge to activate it for checking the time, but that can also be done by touching the home button. 

The entire commercial on the Edge to show nothing but pure gimmicks and impractical features. 

• Reply 7 of 42
    Ooh, some nice snark here! I approve! :D
    I was killing myself laughing.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie Isaacks View Post

Samsung can suck it. I wouldn't buy their crapware. Ever. I won't buy anything with their logo on it. I don't reward thieves.

Same here. Fck Samsung. No Samsung product in my family: no TV, DVD/BlueRay Players or not even a damn security camera. I was looking at home automation system last month and really liked Smart Things. But after found down that it's owned by Samsung, I said Fck it. I'll wait for something from Apple's HomeKit products. 

• Reply 9 of 42
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,066member
    it's not really flexible, is it. it's just spin. it's what samsung does. try doing a bendgate on that and it would shatter.

move along, nothing to see here. i don't know if i'm more annoyed with samsung or ai for posting this. but it hardly seems worth any more than the 2 minutes i've spent so far. wake me when there is something worthwhile that samsung does.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

"I'm suing!"

• Reply 11 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    BREAKING NEWS: SAMSUNG LAUNCHES AD CAMPAIGN COMPARING ONE OF ITS PRODUCTS TO AN IPHONE. SHOCKING!! SAMSUNG HAS NEVER DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE. STOP THE PRESSES!
  • Reply 12 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Not this **** again....

If droid was superior, why all the comparisons to iPhone from EVERY knockoff manufacturer?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    I don't see edge of the screen much useful. One line of information gets you nothing when smartphone users want larger screen to display lots of information in front and not smaller edge of screen with one liner.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

Samsung's product differentiations are of little value or meaning to a buyer. Especially in such a crowded market.

Previously Samsung's larger screen was a real point of difference in their product, with that differentiating factor gone it's no surprise that their popularity has tanked.

Samsung's early success came from copying the iPhone and iOS, it made Samsung devices the obvious choice for people wanting to switch to a larger screen smartphone. It made sense to consumers, it was just like the iPhone, about the same price, but came with a bigger screen. Samsung also helped this thinking by duplicating the style of Apple's marketing, and constantly comparing the devices/putting them in the same league. (Even still today.)

Samsung then squandered that point of difference by not improving their product with compelling product differentiators: not in software or hardware. Their offerings have always been short development cycle gimmicks that either worked very poorly or were me-too features.

The fact that the iPhone did so well with the smaller screen size is just testament to how compelling the apple software and ecosystem are. I don't find it surprising at all that the iPhone6/6+ is attracting a large segment of switchers, especially from Samsung.

The final coffin nail: Pricing the edge above a 6+, now Samsung can't even pretend that you get more for less.

• Reply 15 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I love how Samsung is so creatively bankrupt, that even when they're having a catastrophic drop in performance, they still shit out the SAME ads that they have been for years, with the SAME annoying as **** voice actor. Its like they haven't realized that noone gives a **** about these useless gimmicks (that they always drop on the next model. Eye-tracking, anyone?) and that this shit doesnt sell phones. 

• Reply 16 of 42
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

They should've just gone all the way:

666 > 6

(btw, this is also the approximate proportion of Samsungs given in promotions to sold)

• Reply 17 of 42
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    What a bunch of ????! And why is "wireless" charging a big feature? When the phone is on the "wireless" charger, (which is a charger connected to a wire) you can't even use the phone. I always plug my iPhone in and keep on using it. The day you give me a thing that I can plug to the wall and sends electric charge directly to my phone like they do with the WIFI then call it a motherfucking wireless charger. I see wires on those bulky power matts
  • Reply 18 of 42
    iushntiushnt Posts: 23member
    9secondko wrote: »
    (when actually I can do panoramas on my year old iPhone just as easily)

Took them long enough just to (possibly) catch up to the 6. But the 6s is out soon enough. So who cares about Samsung.

The S6 has f1.9 aperture camera on both sides, that will make huge difference than u just taking panorama on iPhones. The sharpness of front camera will just be insane compared to iP6.

If we think in terms of consumers and not fanboys or companies then s6 has caught up iP6 and even surpassed it in many key features and quality. By the time 6s comes, samsung would also bring note 5 and the competition between the two has been going on this. Now the thing is we should again think as consumers and decide what is the best product to buy. It's useless being a fanboy and seeing who sales more.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Well they gave up on "advantages" like removable batteries, removable storage cards, flexy plastic band-aid backs, and CPU benchmark cheating. What else are they gonna do?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    iushntiushnt Posts: 23member
    cali wrote: »
    Not this **** again....

If droid was superior, why all the comparisons to iPhone from EVERY knockoff manufacturer?

Coz iPhones are selling crazy. If tomorrow, Microsoft starts selling a lot of phones then all will compare with them. Gionee, a Chinese phone OEM compares with Galaxy S series. And you shouldn't worry if Droids are better or Apple. U can't get the answer. For some Droids are better that's why they pay high price for Droid and for some Apple is better.