Apple Online Store stops offering iPhone with 2-year AT&T contract

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Apple removed the option to buy an AT&T iPhone on a two-year contract from its online store on Thursday night, reflecting AT&T's wider shift away from two-year contracts.

Shoppers wanting to go with AT&T at the Apple Online Store must instead pick up an iPhone through Next, the carrier's upgrade program. Although there's no required down payment, Next customers must make monthly payments for 12, 18, or 24 months on top of the cost of a voice and data plan.

A 16-gigabyte iPhone 6, for instance, starts at $21.64 a month. The lowest rate for a 128-gigabyte 6 Plus is $31.64.

People wanting to avoid Next can still do so by buying an unlocked phone, or by going through AT&T's website or retail stores, where the older pricing scheme is still an option, if no longer the default. Rival carriers Sprint and Verizon are continuing to offer subsidized contracts through Apple, despite having their own upgrade programs. Apple is only offering T-Mobile models at full unlocked price or through the carrier's Jump upgrade plan.

Two-year iPhone contracts have typically required carriers to pay high subsidies, sometimes to the point of losing money on the hardware in the hope of recouping the cost through service fees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The totally opaque pricing is obnoxious (though not unexpected from cell service providers). Love the "From"... idiocy. why not just list the damn prices?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    justinpejustinpe Posts: 32member
    Are the prices of their voice and data plans lower if you finance a new phone purchase with Next? If not, this is not a very good deal. I am going to have their service for the next 2 years regardless of whether I have the contract or not. I think I will be switching to T-Mobile once AT&T gets rid of the 2-year contract upgrades.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member

My habit has been to purchase at the 2-year contract price, and then immediately buy out the contract for $325.  That works to about $150 less than the non-contract price. Can you buy out a Next contract immediately too?

As soon as you buy out the contract, you get the $25/month non-contract discount, per phone. Doing that, makes AT&T quite competitive. 

• Reply 4 of 53
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    You can buy out a next phone but there is no discount.
    dcgoo wrote: »
    My habit has been to purchase at the 2-year contract price, and then immediately buy out the contract for $325.  That works to about $150 less than the non-contract price. Can you buy out a Next contract immediately too?

As soon as you buy out the contract, you get the $25/month non-contract discount, per phone. Doing that, makes AT&T quite competitive. 
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Not lower until you own the phone out right.
    justinpe wrote: »
    Are the prices of their voice and data plans lower if you finance a new phone purchase with Next? If not, this is not a very good deal. I am going to have their service for the next 2 years regardless of whether I have the contract or not. I think I will be switching to T-Mobile once AT&T gets rid of the 2-year contract upgrades.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I still can't find any info about the trade in upgrade policy. I don't want to trade in my phone at the end of the contract. I want to keep it to use internationally and eventually hand it down to family member or friend.

• Reply 7 of 53
    justinpejustinpe Posts: 32member
    Quote:

I mean lower than what I am paying now with a two-year contract. Seems that people who are paying for their phone outright, or through a payment plan, should pay a lower rate because they are paying for the phone themselves rather than the carrier subsidizing the cost of the phone with inflated data and voice plans.

• Reply 8 of 53
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

Yes,

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinpe View Post

Yes, depending on what share plan you are on, it could be $25 lower for each line access fee (40 on contract, 15 on NEXT with 10GB/mo and up data)

I may switch to T-Mobile anyways next year as their plans seem to be cheaper anyways (at first glance, at least)

• Reply 9 of 53
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Next: The AT&T logo appears on the iPhone along with preloaded trialware that AT&T got paid to preinstall... it's how AT&T provides "value."
  • Reply 10 of 53
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justinpe View Post

Yes.  Service prices are lower on non contract phones.  Whether you buy the phone through the Next service or own it already.

The basic monthly fee on contract is $40 per line plus your data.

On a non-contract phone it is $15-$25 per line plus your data.    $15 for 10GB or greater data plans, and $25 for less than 10GB data plans.

If you have a 10GB data plan, your overall cost (phone plus service fee/data) is about $190 less in 24 months than buying on contract.

• Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I still can't find any info about the trade in upgrade policy. I don't want to trade in my phone at the end of the contract. I want to keep it to use internationally and eventually hand it down to family member or friend.

What do you mean?  If you don't want to trade it in, you don't have to.  You keep the phone at the end of the installment term.

• Reply 12 of 53
    Yes it can be lower compared to your 2 year plans.
    justinpe wrote: »
    I mean lower than what I am paying now with a two-year contract. Seems that people who are paying for their phone outright, or through a payment plan, should pay a lower rate because they are paying for the phone themselves rather than the carrier subsidizing the cost of the phone with inflated data and voice plans.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Not true. The service fees are lower immediately.  But you have to pay the installment loan monthly payment which makes it about the same.

• Reply 14 of 53
    Some upgrade plans require you to trade it in to get the discount
    chadbag wrote: »

What do you mean?  If you don't want to trade it in, you don't have to.  You keep the phone at the end of the installment term.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The totally opaque pricing is obnoxious (though not unexpected from cell service providers). Love the "From"... idiocy. why not just list the damn prices?

They do once you choose which phone you want.  It all depends on which phone and term you choose.  The "from:..." just shows the minimum it would be and you have to choose your options before it can tell you the complete amount.

• Reply 16 of 53
    Hence not lower as I mentioned until you own it and don't upgrade again.
    chadbag wrote: »

Not true. The service fees are lower immediately.  But you have to pay the installment loan monthly payment which makes it about the same.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Next: The AT&T logo appears on the iPhone along with preloaded trialware that AT&T got paid to preinstall... it's how AT&T provides "value."

I sure hope you're being facetious.  I've been with Cingular/AT&T my entire adult life, I really don't want to have to pull up stakes...

• Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

Some upgrade plans require you to trade it in to get the discount

No upgrade plan requires you to trade in to get "the discount" on your monthly service fees.

Next12 allows you to trade in after 12 months if you want but you can carry it to the complete 18 month term and keep the phone if you want.   Either way you get the discounted service fees immediately.

Next18 is the same but trade in after 18 months and full term of 24 months.

Next24 is the same but trade in after 24 months and full term of 30 months.  (30 months on a phone????)

• Reply 19 of 53
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

Yes,

Yes, depending on what share plan you are on, it could be $25 lower for each line access fee (40 on contract, 15 on NEXT with 10GB/mo and up data)

I may switch to T-Mobile anyways next year as their plans seem to be cheaper anyways (at first glance, at least)

I dunno.  I am paying AT&T $87/month for 2 iPhone 6, non-contract w/7GB of data between them (incl 26% discount through wife's employer).  T-Mobile will be hard pressed to beat that.  They can get close, but there's that coverage thing again. 

• Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Hence not lower as I mentioned until you own it and don't upgrade again.

You "own" the phone immediately and your service fees are lower.  Immediately.

Your overall monthly outgo will be about the same as you have to pay off your phone loan.   But your service fees are lower.  They are two different things you are paying for.