2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

Perhaps they were 'dickless assholes'?

• Reply 22 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mubaili wrote: »
    Apple made a mistake; they trust Chinese companies and people to make their most important product; they should turn to Chinese company and people to build their most campus as well.

not if that Chinese drywall was any indicator of building quality...
  • Reply 23 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    They should call it

Spaceship 0

in honor of Steve Jobs.

Jobs was a big proponent of the humanities -- and "Spaceship 0" doesnt sound very human at all. sounds like something google would do.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Apple made a mistake; they trust Chinese companies and people to make their most important product; they should turn to Chinese company and people to build their most campus as well.

Because having the industrial espionage infrastructure built right into the fabric of the building WOULD be more efficient?

• Reply 25 of 36
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow700 View Post

Skanska is not being booted from anything.

You don't lose 800 million in assumed business by completing your projects correctly.

• Reply 26 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Never?

I knew someone would bring that up, and it proves my point. By all indications, GT could did not fulfill its obligations and did not meet the standards and expectations. No, they did not "voluntarily" throw away their contract, its clear they couldn't fulfill it in the first place and had no choice. My point stands. Not a single company will pass on an Apple contract if they can help it. Simply the PR value of being an Apple contractor/supplier/partner is massive, nevermind the financial value. 

• Reply 27 of 36
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Would that be like all the stuff they built for the 2008 Olympics that crumbled a few years later?

Saves on demolition costs! How clever.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    not if that Chinese drywall was any indicator of building quality...

It's full of rat poison too.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    john.b wrote: »
    There are a lot of great companies over in China. How do you think they could construct the high speed railway otherwise. Don't forget the 2012 guys trust them to build the escape ship too. But of course you don't just blindly trust someone or company, you check their history, their work and you monitor them as work progress.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Saves on demolition costs! How clever.

Built in obsolescence!

• Reply 31 of 36
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Does anyone work or have friends that work in the construction knows why, this things cost $5B? And I thought these price dont include land cost.

At first, I though $2B was relatively expensive but given Apple extreme demand of quality, "might" be one of the largest Glass building around, ( it seems there are little metal frames ) along side with 100% Renewable energy, top quality design and decorations, tree planted around. The $2B should be worth it.

And we know from history these contraction always under estimate the time and cost, so boosting to may be $3B? I think that is fine.

But $5B? Seriously, 2.5 times the initial estimated cost?

Has Labor cost risen? No.

Has Copper, Concrete, or other Materials Risen? No.

May be they have, but should be something within ~20% Range. When I thought Apple has huge amount of Cash; $100B. They are rich, but when you think you can only built 20 spaceship campus with its cash?

Writing this down and thinking through it I understand why Apple booted its contractor. This is insane.

• Reply 32 of 36
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

• Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Wasn't it an American company that built Tacoma Narrow Bridge?

So I guess your retort is a bit narrow minded.

• Reply 34 of 36
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

Wasn't it an American company that built Tacoma Narrow Bridge?

So I guess your retort is a bit narrow minded.

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge was not a construction failure, but was caused by limited engineering knowledge in 1940 of structural mechanics, turbulence, and aerodynamic flutter. It was a design fault, not a construction problem. So you're completely wrong there. Flutter today remains a significant engineering problem on airplanes, it's the mechanism which will cause the plane to break up if you go too fast.

In 1940, the People's Republic of China didn't even exist.

• Reply 35 of 36
    Who is Holder Construction? Street says they got the majority of the work?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Word on the street is otherwise. Fired is correct.