Apple's iPhone gobbles up marketshare in U.S. as competitors stumble

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Just for some perspective, by Google's own words, Android is on 400 OEMs and 4,000 distinct devices. Good context to keep in mind, when we see Apple, a SINGLE company that updates a single line of phones ONCE per year, is able to get numbers approaching 50% marketshare. Makes you realize how fucking asinine all the OMG ANDROID OUTSELLING APPLE YAY celebrations are. 

Some argued a couple of years ago that Android would never ever have more than 50% marketshare.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Meanwhile worldwide

Period Android iOS Windows Phone BlackBerry OS Others
    Q1 2015 78.0% 18.3% 2.7% 0.3% 0.7%
    Q1 2014 81.2% 15.2% 2.5% 0.5% 0.7%
    Q1 2013 75.5% 16.9% 3.2% 2.9% 1.5%
    Q1 2012 59.2% 22.9% 2.0% 6.3% 9.5%

which I read...  "Everyone buys a training phone first"  (see shift in WW iPhone growth [20% YoY in the last year].

Android is effectively market research for Apple, and a cheap 'try before you buy' option for most consumers.  Apple hones in on market direction, and users hone in on value.   The world, where phones are bought without subsidies, will be a slower conversion, but they will convert.   But figure that that top 10% will migrate to Apple.... and stay.  So Android does the market development, and Apple gains the long term repeat profits. 

And if the trend comes in at 20-25% of the world Market, that pretty much means they will sell 1-1.3 Billion phones every 2 years (125 million a quarter), and 50 million watches a year, and 100 million iPads/MacBooks/iMacs a year.

I think Apple will be happy with that.   Making 80% of the profit, selling to 25ish % of the market.   

• Reply 43 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I suspect Google also included in their numbers Android phones that are "feature phones or even "dumb phones." In addition, Google may include in those numbers tablets that function as dedicated game devices or "readers" like Amazon's Kindles. There are certainly a wealth of crippled Android devices that on one the market for the sole purpose of separating unsophisticated buyers from a somewhat painless amount of money.

What I loved is how Google consistently states "We shipped 1B phones" running Android and other such trash, giving themselves credit for every single device shipped that is running some fork of Android, even thought they had absolutely NOTHING to do with the design of that phone, or the marketing, nor the shipping or the sale. No, "we shipped" because it runs Android. Hilarious. I guess when you have such an unhealthy platform in all the metrics that matter, you have to take credit wherever you can. 

• Reply 44 of 80
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Is part of your point that hired help can only afford , or isn't intelligent enough to have, anything other than an Android phone while the Master of the house can have an iPhone? If not why mention she's your housemaid? It comes off sounding elitist, but perhaps unintentionally.

Not everyone can afford brand name clothing. Everyone who buys the cheap knockoff wants the real thing, doesn't mean they can have it.

I agree it does sound mean whenever you tell others that someone is using a cheap android. It's offensive. Like pointing out that someone is wearing fake Jordan's or cheap jewelry.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Interestingly in the same comscore report, 5 of the top 10 ranked applications are from Google, Apple has only one iTunes at #10.

• Reply 46 of 80
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You missed some numbers so perhaps your source was using old data. This is the most recent.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=suzunone

So using your suggested measuring stick most Google Android phones in use would be smartphones and not what you referred to as "feature phones", correct?

EDIT: Just noticed your chart was dated the end of last year.

I'll happily acknowledge that all of those Androids are smartphones.

Compare to iOS 8

https://developer.apple.com/support/appstore/

I suspect that iOS 9 will do even better than iOS 8.

• Reply 47 of 80
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    mubaili wrote: »
    Last year around this time I saw quite a few non iPhone smartphones when I walked across Mahanttan streets but this year almost all are iPhones. I am shocked that iPhone is not 80% to tell u the truth.

It's actually kind of depressing, I have nothing against the iPhone but I wish for another worthy competitor to enter into the market. Like with U.S. only having a two party government system, having just two mobile OS's is just, well, sad. I'm happy that my BlackBerry Passport is such a great phone for me and their upcoming slider will be the perfect replacement but if they disappear and stop making phones I'm honestly not going to go back to an Android phone or switch to an iPhone. Hopefully Jolla will come out with a new replacement soon as their current phone isn't very powerful. I will definitely be trying out a new Ubuntu phone once they introduce their full desktop switching tech, hopefully that's something I can pursue. What I'm getting at is I'm going to be supporting the little guys for now. I will still use Android and iOS in my tablets as their just isn't another alternative out there yet right now, well that is until Jolla introduces their tablet in which I have personally donated 5,000 EUR towards the project.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How many of those 400 OEMs sell devices in the US?

With online stores like Amazon pretty much all of them, mobile providers though probably only carry about 5% of what's actually available out there. I personally haven't bought a phone on contract in over 5 years, it's a complete waste of money and I refuse to own a locked phone, especially one that contains bloatware that cannot be removed. If it wasn't for mobile providers subsidizing their phones though, companies like Apple and Samsung wouldn't be selling nearly that amount of phones that they are, so I guess it's good for those who can't afford such things without it. Personally I never lease and only have two credit cards, if I don't have the cash in the bank, I don't buy.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:

Interestingly in the same comscore report, 5 of the top 10 ranked applications are from Google, Apple has only one iTunes at #10.

You do know that that actually portrays a pretty poor picture for Android developers, correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's actually kind of depressing, I have nothing against the iPhone but I wish for another worthy competitor to enter into the market. Like with U.S. only having a two party government system, having just two mobile OS's is just, well, sad. I'm happy that my BlackBerry Passport is such a great phone for me and their upcoming slider will be the perfect replacement but if they disappear and stop making phones I'm honestly not going to go back to an Android phone or switch to an iPhone. Hopefully Jolla will come out with a new replacement soon as their current phone isn't very powerful. I will definitely be trying out a new Ubuntu phone once they introduce their full desktop switching tech, hopefully that's something I can pursue. What I'm getting at is I'm going to be supporting the little guys for now. I will still use Android and iOS in my tablets as their just isn't another alternative out there yet right now, well that is until Jolla introduces their tablet in which I have personally donated 5,000 EUR towards the project.

The problem that you probably won't acknowledge, is that it is the business models of the competition that are failing, and that includes Android, no matter its sales numbers. Android OEM's have little room to differentiate products, and so are generating little or no profits. It is a visible race to the bottom with the Chinese "forks" picking up the slack. This was all by Google's design, whether they were even aware of it at the time, so the blame is squarely their's.

• Reply 50 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    tmay wrote: »
    I'll happily acknowledge that all of those Androids are smartphones.

Compare to iOS 8

https://developer.apple.com/support/appstore/

I suspect that iOS 9 will do even better than iOS 8.
    IMO I am a tad surprised it isn't even higher. Unlike Google's latest OS version Apple pushes the update to user devices without asking for it doesn't it? I suppose some number of iPhone owners don't run the update for whatever reason?

By choosing not to be the hardware provider Google's options are more restricted. Google Play Services was actually a smart way to get around the manufacturers tho, mitigating some of the issues. More and more of the features, product enhancements and security updates are pushed directly to Google Android devices or available thru Google Play, and several times a year rather than once every 12 months or so, making the specific OS version less important today than it was even a couple of years ago. This chart shows what updates are now done done via the OS, which ones are supplied thru Google Play Services, and the ones coming via Google Play.

In any event being the OS and hardware provider as Apple is is of course the more efficient way to do things if you have the option.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:

IMO I am a tad surprised it isn't even higher. Unlike Google's latest OS version Apple pushes the update to user devices without asking for it doesn't it? I suppose some number of iPhone owners don't run the update for whatever reason?

By choosing not to be the hardware provider Google's options are more restricted. Google Play Services was actually a smart way to get around the manufacturers tho, mitigating some of the issues. More and more of the features, product enhancements and security updates are pushed directly to Google Android devices or available thru Google Play, and several times a year rather than once every 12 months or so, making the specific OS version less important today than it was even a couple of years ago. This chart shows what updates are now done done via the OS, which ones are supplied thru Google Play Services, and the ones coming via Google Play.

My recollection is that I had to accept the download for the upgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 8 on my iPhone 5, but once I have upgraded, I was not able to downgrade. Apple pushes a major iOS update, but you still have to accept the download and the install; it isn't automatic.

Should it be higher? Probably. I know a friend's daughter wouldn't upgrade because she didn't want to take a chance on any changes to her iPhone 5s (she had maxed her 32GB memory out to the point she couldn't download without moving stuff to backup), but then went ahead and upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB. I would guess that some of the 8 GB / 16 GB iPhones have this update problem to deal with, and for some the tradeoff isn't worth it.

You might agree that Google, in hindsight, screwed up by ever allowing the manufacturers' and the the cellular providers to have that much control of the OS update process to begin with.

• Reply 52 of 80
    You do know that that actually portrays a pretty poor picture for Android developers, correct?
    I'd say it means about the same to Android and IOS developers.
    Plenty of jobs/work.
    You do realize that google, Facebook, Apple etc (some of the big companies in top 15) all hire loads of developers.
  • Reply 53 of 80

You might agree that Google, in hindsight, screwed up by ever allowing the manufacturers' and the the cellular providers to have that much control of the OS update process to begin with.
    Screwed up? Hardly. Google could not have accomplished such a wide dispersion if they were the only hardware provider. Remember it was Microsoft they were worried about, and the reason they put so much effort into making Android a competitive and capable mobile OS. Leave the hardware to the companies with experience. That had the additional benefit of keeping companies like Motorola, Sony, LG and others from developing their own OS's that potentially did not offer Google services.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:

I'd say it means about the same to Android and IOS developers.

Plenty of jobs/work.

You do realize that google, Facebook, Apple etc (some of the big companies in top 15) all hire loads of developers.

All or almost all of those apps are cross platform, and free. They aren't unique to Android.

There is no version of iTunes for mobile that is cross platform. So that tells me that the numbers that iTunes Radio shows are 100% iOS numbers. But other than that, there isn't anything of importance that I can discern from that chart.

• Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:

Screwed up? Hardly. Google could not have accomplished such a wide dispersion if they were the only hardware provider. Remember it was Microsoft they were worried about, and the reason they put so much effort into making Android a competitive and capable mobile OS. Leave the hardware to the companies with experience. That had the additional benefit of keeping companies like Motorola, Sony, LG and others from developing their own OS's that potentially did not offer Google services.

To which I would say; how is that actually working out for Google? Is Android a more important venue for Google than iOS or is it still a hedge? Look like Androids seed are growing mostly weeds.

Where exactly is Android going if there aren't any (significant) profits?

• Reply 56 of 80
    To which I would say; how is that actually working out for Google? Is Android a more important venue for Google than iOS or is it still a hedge? Look like Androids seed are growing mostly weeds.

Where exactly is Android going if there aren't any (significant) profits?
    All OS'es are important, which is why Google generally tries to offer compatible versions for them when it makes sense. IMO Android is probably a whole lot more successful than Google ever expected. They kept Microsoft from blocking them out and even neutering them, beyond the original goal in all likelihood

As for those that say they blew their partnership with Apple because of it I think that was going to happen one way or another anyway. There's not many revenue streams flowing from iOS that Apple hasn't already taken over for themselves, or in the process of doing so. Google was just their next ex.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

All or almost all of those apps are cross platform, and free. They aren't unique to Android.

There is no version of iTunes for mobile that is cross platform. So that tells me that the numbers that iTunes Radio shows are 100% iOS numbers. But other than that, there isn't anything of importance that I can discern from that chart.

Ditto for Apple Maps. It's 100% IOS and the comscore data seems to indicate ~25% reach, or 3 in 4 use none/some other mapping application.

Google maps on the other hand is close to 50% reach across Android/IOS which might suggest that Google Maps and IOS Maps get about equal use on IOS

I presume that "Google Play" mentioned is Googles Music Streaming app, which seems to follow the same pattern w.r.t iTunes as the mapping apps.

• Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:

Ditto for Apple Maps. It's 100% IOS and the comscore data seems to indicate ~25% reach, or 3 in 4 use none/some other mapping application.

Google maps on the other hand is close to 50% reach across Android/IOS which might suggest that Google Maps and IOS Maps get about equal use on IOS

I presume that "Google Play" mentioned is Googles Music Streaming app, which seems to follow the same pattern w.r.t iTunes as the mapping apps.

Probably all that I expected, but Facebook seems to be everywhere.

What's up with that? Is Facebook still growing?

• Reply 59 of 80
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Is part of your point that hired help can only afford , or isn't intelligent enough to have, anything other than an Android phone while the Master of the house can have an iPhone? If not why mention she's your housemaid? It comes off sounding elitist, but perhaps unintentionally.

It's just to prove the point he wasn't willing to accept.. that Android sale number is useless and nobody care. Many people, a majority even, in India, Africa or even China bought Android phone not because they like Android but because it's a phone they can buy. This is not elitism, it's a plain hard fact.

She and I are close by the way and we are more like friends than employer and employee. (and yes, she just use her phone solely for call and texts, and taking a photo occasionally, in case you're wondering.)

• Reply 60 of 80
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    danielsw wrote: »
    This has been my best iPhone year by far, having sprung for a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Love the gold color and the Apple brand brown leather case. It's been my constant companion every day for eight months.

Being on AT&T's Next program, I'll be eligible to upgrade in four months, trading in this one for a 6S, assuming they'll be out around then.

This really is Apple's best iPhone ever, and I can't wait to just pony up the sales tax and get a new one in the fall.
    The 6+ is a killer. The most awesome device Apple had made. I love mine as I type on it at this moment. The device of awe.