Apple will unveil streaming music service on Monday, Sony chief confirms

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
In the midst of an interview at the annual Midem conference in Cannes on Sunday, Sony Music CEO Doug Morris confirmed Apple's plans to unveil a streaming music service during next week's WWDC keynote address.

"It's happening tomorrow," Morris said of the reveal, according to Venturebeat. Morris offered no further details, but many believe that Apple will largely abandon the now-legendary iTunes moniker and call the new Spotify-like service "Apple Music."

For his part, Morris believes that Apple's entry will jumpstart the streaming business in a way that current players have been unable to.

"What does Apple bring to this?" Morris is quoted as saying. "Well, they've got $178 billion in the bank. And they have 800 million credit cards in iTunes. Spotify has never really advertised because it's never been profitable. My guess is that Apple will promote this like crazy and I think that will have a halo effect on the streaming business."

Morris also praised Apple's move to bring in Beats co-founder Jimmy Iovine --?who is widely believed to head up the new streaming project -- saying the two still talk on the phone multiple times per day. Iovine worked for Morris at the Universal Music Group, where Morris served as Chairman and CEO while Iovine ran subsidiary Interscope Geffen A&M.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

At the very least it's not being called "Beats" or similar nonsense.

But who is presenting that irrelevant thing tomorrow? "Dre"? Or is it "Drake"?

• Reply 2 of 79
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

I knew that.

Go Apple.  Go Go Go!  Allez! Allez Apple!

• Reply 3 of 79
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I'll do the free trial but doubt I'll switch. Apple Music will have to have something substantially better than what I use now.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    I'll do the free trial but doubt I'll switch. Apple Music will have to have something substantially better than what I use now.

I'll wait until I see what they offer before speculating how I'll feel about it.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

well it's a good thing Steven H scrubbed the rest of his last name -- there are a ton of "French content chiefs", so he's completely anonymous now...
  • Reply 6 of 79
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

well it's a good thing Steven H scrubbed the rest of his last name -- there are a ton of "French content chiefs", so he's completely anonymous now...

Yeah, no more than a four- or five-letter last name too....:lol:
  • Reply 7 of 79
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I'll wait until I see what they offer before speculating how I'll feel about it.

Congratulations! I just can't see what they can offer more than what I use now and get me to spend $2 more for it per month.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    While the iTunes moniker is so entrnched in our lexicon, this is probably as good as a time to move onto a fresh name.

The move away from the 'i' prefix has been long and long overdue.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I just can't see what they can offer more than what I use now and get me to spend $2 more for it per month.

Other than paying artists like Drake millions of dollars to do curated channels/playlists? I'm not convinced the free crowd can beenticed by anything to start paying a monthly fee. I have a feeling this may become an expensive money pit for Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    brlawyer wrote: »
    At the very least it's not being called "Beats" or similar nonsense.

But who is presenting that irrelevant thing tomorrow? "Dre"? Or is it "Drake"?

Now looks to be a good time to add you to the block list to minimize my chances of seeing what will obviously be a lot of irrelevant comments tomorrow.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So, "Sony Music CEO Doug Morris confirmed Apple's plans to unveil a streaming music service during next week's WWDC keynote address." ... That's nice of him. Did Tim ask him to say this? I like he is positive and enthusiastic but it seems weird. I guess after every secret Sony had was leaked his thinking isn't the same anymore.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Sony being on Apple's side this time will be nice.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    rogifan wrote: »
    Other than paying artists like Drake millions of dollars to do curated channels/playlists? I'm not convinced the free crowd can Ben enticed by anything to start paying a monthly fee. I have a feeling this may become an expensive money pit for Apple.

I'd rather spend the money not to have ads. I think Apple Music will do well but not to the extent where it'll blow people away. I see what you're saying about the kids and tend to agree with that. Most of them get it all off of YouTube anyways.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    As long as they have a free ad supported option, I'll be happy. If not it's on to something else.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Other than paying artists like Drake millions of dollars to do curated channels/playlists? I'm not convinced the free crowd can Ben enticed by anything to start paying a monthly fee. I have a feeling this may become an expensive money pit for Apple.

After knowing nothing about it? Same could have been about the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I'd rather spend the money not to have ads. I think Apple Music will do well but not to the extent where it'll blow people away. I see what you're saying about the kids and tend to agree with that. Most of them get it all off of YouTube anyways.

I feel bad about doing that (as a content creator I don't like to rip off my fellows), so I'll probably give this a try.

• Reply 17 of 79
    I'm curious why executives always feel the need to jump in front of Apple's official announcements. Way to scream for attention, brat.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Now looks to be a good time to add you to the block list to minimize my chances of seeing what will obviously be a lot of irrelevant comments tomorrow.

You mean there are still people out there who aren't blocking brlawyer? Kudos to you, the pitiful trash and lies that this troll constantly spews has a detrimental effect on one's IQ.

In the future do us all a favour and don't quote the troll.
  • Reply 19 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

As long as they have a free ad supported option, I'll be happy. If not it's on to something else.

Nothing is free. You can either pay up the price of a latte or two, or sell yourself to advertisers. This always reminds me of people who thinks subsidised phones are free.

• Reply 20 of 79
    <p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:16px;font-style:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:22.399999618530273px;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-indent:0px;word-spacing:0px;"> </p>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:16px;font-style:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:22.399999618530273px;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-indent:0px;word-spacing:0px;">Nothing is free. You can either pay up the price of a latte or two, or sell yourself to advertisers. This always reminds me of people who thinks subsidised phones are free.</p>

Spotify's head is out there saying that "free is the future" and will save the music industry.

I think he doesn't realize how well this is playing into Apple's hands.