WWDC 2015 guaranteed to highlight growing gap between Apple and Google

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ILM1997 View Post

"Apple's business model attaches its profit margins to the most valuable slice in the Post-PC ecosystem: the device itself. "

Actually, it's about the user experience. The hardware just facilitates this.

Hardware is an important component of the user experience. TouchID, ForceTouch, Retina Displays, multi-touch, etc.

• Reply 22 of 84
    walter77walter77 Posts: 28member
    Great piece...I had a Windows "smart" phone in 2007, but switched to the iPhone because ATT never updated the Windows software in a timely manner. As it turned out iOS became a much better product than Windows. The iPhone 6 is a killer product.
  • Reply 23 of 84

I wasn't aware Steve Ballmer could levitate chairs with his fury.

• Reply 24 of 84

Apple might be alive and well today, but the pundits are certain no one will be buying iPhones in 2016 because they've already bought them this year.  Every excellent Apple quarter brings about a louder cry of absolutely terrible sales next year.  Apple is still the bad boy on the list of zero growth in the future.  What's so damn strange is that even a couple of years back the pundits claimed the iPhone was set for zero growth in 2015 and investors keep believing that BS rhetoric year after year.  Why?  I have no idea.  Every freaking year Apple's growth is supposed to stop but yet look at Apple's chart.  I've given up trying to figure out why there is constant doubt about Apple's ability to sell products.  None of the pundits reasons make any real sense so I just chalk it up to crooks and idiots running Wall Street for their own benefit.  If iPhone sales are looking good at the start of 2016, Wall Street will simply push out Apple's failure a few years further out.  It's just crazy.  How can analysts have the gall to try to accurately prognosticate about Apple two and three years into the future have investors believe them?  I don't even know how they can accurately see six months down the road.  There are companies that have collapsed within that time period due to some unforeseen product or rival or manufacturing disaster.  It's always some BS like, Google=good future.  Apple=poor future.  Crystal ball predictions not worth a damn.

Apple will continue to sell plenty of iPhones every year because they're good products backed by a solid ecosystem and good customer support.  That's not magic or some mind trick.  That's just running a good business with the consumer's best interests at heart.  Wall Street will continue to run some BS about cheaper and just as good Android products putting Apple out of business but there's nothing that indicates that taking place.  You can fool consumers once, but don't expect it to keep happening.

• Reply 25 of 84
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    "Gogole not only has zero respect for its users' privacy, it also has zero respect for government regulators"

Gogole: Chinese knock-off Google? Pasta dish?
  • Reply 26 of 84
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gjunkie wrote: »
    Decent article, but speaking of journalistic integrity, saying things like this with zero source material makes this whole piece read like the propaganda it criticizes:

"an army of naysayers have been enlisted and propped up by the company's rivals to spew fiction, fear and contrived statistics"

The article lacks credible sources at almost every point where it needs them the most. Vague accusations like this (while I agree with them) isn't proving anything.

Did you see the badge next or the headline that reads "editorial"? That means "opinion piece". It's not reporting, it's editorializing...you don't need to prove things in an opinion piece because it's, like, your opinion, man.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

So much of this is reasoning is questionable, it's difficult to know where to begin taking it apart.

Start with the false "winners" and "losers" dichotomy. Normal markets are full of winners, each in competition and serving different segments. This is the definition of a healthy market. Most markets are healthy. The domination of the PC market by DOS/Windows in the 1980s and '90s was not healthy. In fact it was a freak of nature. The writer here doesn't seem to have any appreciation for how it came to be that way, and so looks for how history will repeat itself. Nobody who knows what happened back then expects that history to be repeated. They don't expect a winner, they expect multiple winners. Markets are not normally zero-sum games where someone has to wipe out everybody else.

But even more importantly, Apple and Google were never alike, not from the start. So that begs the question: how they can somehow become less alike?

To borrow from the bard: all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

• Reply 28 of 84
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Did you see the badge next or the headline that reads "editorial"? That means "opinion piece". It's not reporting, it's editorializing...you don't need to prove things in an opinion piece because it's, like, your opinion, man.
    To be fair all DED has to do is put Apple is God.
    Android is cr*p.
    His editorials tend to start well then vear radically into rantathons This one is just an epic of one.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Android is cr*p.
    His editorials tend to start well then vear radically into rantathons This one is just an epic of one.

To be fair

Very funny

I respectfully disagree , you are not being fair

Everything DED says Is true, all he is doing is setting the record straight. But of course there is so much anti Apple out there it's deafening, but you know, the day it stops Apple is really doomed, because success attracts negativity, please keep being negative it fully validates just how correct everything DED describes is correct. Thank you for posting and further validating Apple!

In total amusement....
  • Reply 30 of 84
    So much of this is reasoning is questionable, it's difficult to know where to begin taking it apart.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Start with the false "winners" and "losers" dichotomy. Normal markets are full of winners, each in competition and serving different segments. This is the definition of a healthy market. Most markets are </span>
    healthy.<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> The domination of the PC market by DOS/Windows in the 1980s and '90s was not healthy. In fact it was a freak of nature. The writer here </span>
    doesn't<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> seem to have any appreciation for how it came to be that way, and so looks for how history will repeat itself. </span>
    Nobody<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> who knows what </span>
    happened<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> back then </span>
    expects that history to be repeated. They don't expect a winner, they expect multiple winners. Markets are not normally zero-sum games where someone has to wipe out everybody else.

But even more importantly, Apple and Google were never alike, not from the start. So that begs the question: how they can somehow become less alike?

To borrow from the bard: all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Thank you for further validating apple and DED with your criticisms

Thank you thank you thank you
  • Reply 31 of 84
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Android is cr*p.

They may be seen as rantathons - but they are generally accurate and specifically aimed at Mac users.
    So while they may be seen as "preaching to the audience" they almost always include some history and perspective that some newer Mac users may or may not be aware of.
    DED is perfectly justified in doing so - as others have said, "It's an editorial." Take from it what you will.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    [quote name="TheWhiteFalcon" url="/t/186617/wwdc-2015-guaranteed-to-highlight-growing-gap-between-apple-and-google#

It wouldn't surprise me if Tim and Satya haven't had some discussions on the issue, both of them see Google (and Facebook) as enemies. I'm not saying they're doing anything illegal, just maybe some shared strategies.
    [/quote]
    Google is doomed I tell ya

I wouldn't be surprised to see windows phone make a comeback once android slips away

In my opinion , they are secretly laughing at all the MSFT managers they just fired who are now working at Google and are now applying those 1990's marketing concepts inside Google , an outdated monopolistic strategy which worked back then in the 90s but totally unsuited to the present.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Good one. LOL
    pistis wrote: »
    To be fair

Very funny

I respectfully disagree , you are not being fair

Everything DED says Is true, all he is doing is setting the record straight. But of course there is so much anti Apple out there it's deafening, but you know, the day it stops Apple is really doomed, because success attracts negativity, please keep being negative it fully validates just how correct everything DED describes is correct. Thank you for posting and further validating Apple!

In total amusement....
  • Reply 34 of 84
    There only seemed to be one thing missing when talking about privacy and that was Microsoft's stand, which is quite similar to Apple's. Reminder: Scroogle ads.

Today Microsoft released their new Terms and Conditions of their services to distance themselves further from Google. If Apple's drumbeat about privacy is joined by other companies offering tech services, such as what Microsoft did today, this could cause Google to back off their data mining and therefore lowering the value of their data, and impacting their bottom line.

Here's part of Microsoft's announcement:

Simplicity – Many of our customers use more than one Microsoft service, and have agreed to many sets of terms and privacy policies. To make it easier to use multiple services, we’ve brought together these documents into a single agreement and a consolidated privacy statement that cover most of our consumer services.
    Privacy – Our longstanding commitment to privacy has not changed. We remain committed to protecting your data, being clear about how we use it, and putting you in control. For example, we do not use the contents of your email, chat, video calls, documents, photos, or voicemail to target advertising to you. And as you’ll see when you read the Microsoft Privacy Statement, we offer a range of tools that enable you to make decisions about what data we collect. Additionally, we have launched a new privacy dashboard that makes it easier for you to make choices about how we use your data.
    Transparency – We are using straightforward language so our terms of use and Microsoft Privacy Statement are easier to understand. In addition, we’ve put key privacy information all in one place, so you no longer have to cross-reference several documents to understand the big picture. While this consolidation eliminates redundancies and simplifies the structure of the information, we continue to provide service-specific details to allow you to make informed choices about how you use our services. We’ve also added some additional privacy information about new features and functionality we’ll soon roll out, like those you’ll see on Windows 10.

It may soon be harder for Google (and Facebook) to sell the idea of their services being "free" while fondling your private jewels like an airport TSA agent...

Oh I can see the cartoon on comedy channel already. Schmity telling a user that all his services are free ( dressed up as a working girl), lipstick, nylons etc and the next caption show him saying "don't worry sweetie- privacy is not important why would you need that- it's free" he has his mouth, you know where and a whole battery of cameras, videocams, etc recording it all for everyone to see on the Internet!!!! If only we could have ads like that on TV
  • Reply 35 of 84
    pistis wrote: »
    Oh I can see the cartoon on comedy channel already. Schmity telling a user that all his services are free ( dressed up as a working girl), lipstick, nylons etc and the next caption show him saying "don't worry sweetie- privacy is not important why would you need that- it's free" he has his mouth, you know where and a whole battery of cameras, videocams, etc recording it all for everyone to see on the Internet!!!, if only Apple could put an ad on tv like that imagine !
  • Reply 36 of 84
    I wasn't aware Steve Ballmer could levitate chairs with his fury.

Only for a few seconds, but I've heard it was epic.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Excellent article as usual. Thank you.
  • Reply 38 of 84

The IT industry is a fascinating beast chock full of logical contradictions. Take these two points for example.

Point 1 : the vast majority of consumers and commentators in the IT industry seem to have the belief that "cheap is better, and free is best". But for a manufacturer to appeal to these people, they must reduce margins, cut product quality, reduce product support and cut R&D. Hence, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell and Google are the goodies, and Apple is the baddie because it refuses to play this suicidal game.

Point 2 : these same consumers apparently believe in a capitalist free-market where a successful company is one that makes lots of profit so they can afford to pay healthy dividends on their shareholders. In this case, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell and Google are the baddies, and Apple is the goodie. However, it is very bad form for an IT professional to say anything good about Apple, or anything bad about Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell or Google. And no IT professional must ever talk about the malware that thrives on Windows and Android systems!

My conclusion? The IT industry if chock full of wankers!

• Reply 39 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The IT industry is a fascinating beast chock full of logical contradictions. Take these two points for example.

Point 1 : the vast majority of consumers and commentators in the IT industry seem to have the belief that "cheap is better, and free is best". But for a manufacturer to appeal to these people, they must reduce margins, cut product quality, reduce product support and cut R&D. Hence, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell and Google are the goodies, and Apple is the baddie because it refuses to play this suicidal game.

Point 2 : these same consumers apparently believe in a capitalist free-market where a successful company is one that makes lots of profit so they can afford to pay healthy dividends on their shareholders. In this case, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell and Google are the baddies, and Apple is the goodie. However, it is very bad form for an IT professional to say anything good about Apple, or anything bad about Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell or Google. And no IT professional must ever talk about the malware that thrives on Windows and Android systems!

My conclusion? The IT industry if chock full of wankers!

Probably pretty close to it I'd say. :)
  • Reply 40 of 84
    I am a big fan of Apple, both hardware and services and have been following AppleInsider since a long time and to be honest reading this article every word made me feel like it was piling log on an unnecessary fire.

Both Apple and Google operate on different spectrum. Apple is highly successful because it makes a count of standardized five products. 775 Billion Dollar worth of net worth and hundreds of the most gifted people in the planet work together for an entire year to create polished software, devices and services. It is the epitome of how branding and monetizing works, an iPhone is sold at thrice its manufacturing price and hence the huge profits and market share.

Google is into how many things again? I've stopped counting. Android is an insanely diverse platform. Just picturize the number of Android devices, the specifications, the carriers, the OEMs, even if you have the best software developers on the planet how do you make an OS that fits everything perfectly? Plus its open source. No wonder it is plagued with OS fragmentation, malware sources and all of that.

Android is distributed through several brands OEMs, its a like a Galaxy (no pun intended) of devices Apple packs in a distinct branding, its own hardware, its own beautiful software and a price label which creates the impression that Apple devices are highly valuable and you'd have to earn to one. I truly consider it as the world's best marketed company.

Bashing Android/Google should be irrelevant, Apple has the power to make wonderful devices and hand it over the customers. Google doesn't do a perfect job but gives it population base the power. To mould, root, customize and create your own personal device at a lesser price. I am sure there is a gap between the two companies, but one of a diverging path.

It's weird that us users and fans get sucked up in propaganda and squabbles, maybe that's how tech companies made money out us.:P