WWDC attendees greeted with jackets featuring Apple Watch San Francisco font, Swift code

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83

I don't think that font is San Francisco, unless it is a new variant. San Francisco doesn't have rounded ends to the strokes.

• Reply 22 of 83
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    BASIC has a "Let" statement IIRC.

Yep BASIC has a LET statement, or at least it did back in the days of me learning it on a BBC Model B.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    What's all the fuss about this font? I've had it since 1984!

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/59746/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 24 of 83

OS X San Andreas? :lol:

I can't fault that.

If it were Google's choice it would be Ghirardelli I assume.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

In BASIC "let" let you declare a variable and initialize it, but in Swift, "let" is only used for declaring constants. That is, if you use let you can never change the value of that symbol again. But it's a nice homage to the older languages.

• Reply 26 of 83
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Last time I went to WWDC I got a LEATHER JACKET with an Aqua X on the back of it to advertise the new OS X. Ok, I think that wasn't the last time but one of the last times.

We have had screen optimized fonts for over a decade, I don't know what people are talking about saying that San Fran is the first one.

San Fran is just optimized for the watch and freshened up to fit the current minimalism that is popular-- this goes in cycles.

That OS X that was being announced nearly 15 years ago was heavily aqua with pinstripes and all kinds of decoration that is now gone. iOS was originally very real-world and now its minimalist.

Design has a fashion element to it.

But the real question is --why to to WWDC in person and deal with the hellhole that is San Francisco when you can just watch the videos online? OH well, I guess those suckers are subsidizing my videos so thank you for paying $1500 to get the information about 8 hours ahead of me.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Jessie, I believe people go to WWDC to attend workshops and improve their OS X and iOS programming skillz.

If they are only interested in the keynote, they can watch it from afar.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

But the real question is --why to to WWDC in person and deal with the hellhole that is San Francisco when you can just watch the videos online? OH well, I guess those suckers are subsidizing my videos so thank you for paying $1500 to get the information about 8 hours ahead of me.

Why do you even need the videos? All you really need is the language spec and API docs.

• Reply 29 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to this interview with Tim Cook it sounds like there will be women on stage today. My guess as to who will be on stage? Kim Vorrath, who works for Craig Federighi and supposedly was involved with Apple's Google Now alternative. Or perhaps Jennifer Bailey who I believe oversees ?Pay. I can't think of anyone else unless there's some lower level engineer on stage doing an app demo or something. I can't imagine Apple would want to spend too much time on retail so I don't see Angela Ahrendts being on stage.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/08/tim-cook-apple-diversity-women-future/
  • Reply 30 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    bluestone wrote: »
    Strikes me that this could suggest a San Francisco connection for OS X name - maybe " Golden Gate"? The "epicenter" thing is of course associated with earthquakes and thus 1906? Whatever...

OS X San Andreas? :lol:

Nah ... OSX Oxnard! iOS Vacaville!
  • Reply 31 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    According to this interview with Tim Cook it sounds like there will be women on stage today. My guess as to who will be on stage? Kim Vorrath, who works for Craig Federighi and supposedly was involved with Apple's Google Now alternative. Or perhaps Jennifer Bailey who I believe oversees ?Pay. I can't think of anyone else unless there's some lower level engineer on stage doing an app demo or something. I can't imagine Apple would want to spend too much time on retail so I don't see Angela Ahrendts being on stage.

Diversity is apparently on display for the media this year. The recent Google I/O get-together had a number of women presenting new Google services and features on stage. I don't recall if there was even one last year tho there could have been.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    What's all the fuss about this font? I've had it since 1984!

Ha! The original Mac -- made it easy to type ransom notes ... that font was affectionately called Patty Hearst, hereabouts!

• Reply 33 of 83
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Diversity is apparently on display for the media this year. The recent Google I/O get-together had a number of women presenting new Google services and features on stage.

Yeah I had a feeling Apple would have to put some women on stage this year.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Lisa Jackson might come on to talk about buying all that forest in China.

• Reply 35 of 83
    matrix07 wrote: »

Perhaps he's a graphic designer for print. That could explain his love for Helvetica. Anyway, he also gave a valid reason why Apple will change the font: "too many designers copy them".

Personally, I'm not a fan of Helvetica Neue and think it's out of place as an OS font but can understand why some people prefer it over the new San Francisco.

It's interesting you say this as the new VP of User Interface at Apple came from Marcom (Schiller's org). Perhaps that explains why Apple went the Helvetica Neue route but now have decided one consistent font across all OSes makes more sense.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Ha! The original Mac -- made it easy to type ransom notes ...

So it was YOU! ;)
  • Reply 37 of 83
    ascii wrote: »

Lisa Jackson might come on to talk about buying all that forest in China.

I don't see what place that has at WWDC when time most likely will be tight? If Apple is talking about environmental initiatives on stage today then that means they don't have enough stuff to announce or wasn't ready.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    matrix07 wrote: »

Perhaps he's a graphic designer for print. That could explain his love for Helvetica. [/COLOR]
    Tho it does get used on occasion I don't know a single professional designer for print with a love for Helvetica. Around here we use "Mr. Helvetica" as moniker for a couple of do-it-yourself customers we have.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    9secondko wrote: »
    On a watch, I can see it difficult to read.

The SF font looks more Urban and has a hevier feel to it, whereas HN looks classier and more "high end."

It just seems to lack any character whatsoever

But it just doesn't "look" all that attractive.

And whether we admit it or not, attractiveness is important in a UI.

As a fellow designer I think the new font looks attractive. I don't think Helvetica looks as nice as San Francisco. I love the modern look. It's also a little more masculine, but not too much.
    entropys wrote: »
    Jessie, I believe people go to WWDC to attend workshops and improve their OS X and iOS programming skillz.

If they are only interested in the keynote, they can watch it from afar.

I believe you can watch all the workshops on video in the WWDC app afterwards.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't see what place that has at WWDC when time most likely will be tight? If Apple is talking about environmental initiatives on stage today then that means they don't have enough stuff to announce or wasn't ready.

The keynote is never pure developer stuff though is it, even at WWDC? The State of the Union address which happens right after the keynote is pure developer. Oh well, we will know in 5 hours I guess.