WWDC attendees greeted with jackets featuring Apple Watch San Francisco font, Swift code

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ascii wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    According to this interview with Tim Cook it sounds like there will be women on stage today. My guess as to who will be on stage? Kim Vorrath, who works for Craig Federighi and supposedly was involved with Apple's Google Now alternative. Or perhaps Jennifer Bailey who I believe oversees ?Pay. I can't think of anyone else unless there's some lower level engineer on stage doing an app demo or something. I can't imagine Apple would want to spend too much time on retail so I don't see Angela Ahrendts being on stage.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/08/tim-cook-apple-diversity-women-future/

Lisa Jackson might come on to talk about buying all that forest in China.

Mmm ...

Under Tim Cook's watch, Apple seems to be taking on more awareness/activities (responsibility is the wrong word) for the conditions of society and the world we share,

While I may not agree with specific issues, I applaud the effort!

I think Tim's Apple is redefining what a corporation is -- and what it's duties/responsibilities are!

Thanks to Steve and those who came before for giving Tim a lever and a place to stand!
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Code Review: The variable name 'jacketSize' is overly redundant. The context is already known that the size is referring to the jacket. This variable is already encapsulated and defined in the 'Jacket'. You wouldn't define a 'Company' and then have a variable called 'companyAddress', you would simply call it 'address'. Additionally, the type is a String, but would be better served as a enum because there are only a few select possible valid values for this variable. The enum can then be reused across different wearables, not just jackets; hats, shirts, pants, etc. The benefit is performance and memory optimizations across all wearables. Hence, I suggest updating the code to code snippet below.

enum Size { case Small; case Medium; case Large; case ExtraLarge }
    let size = Size.Medium
    // Made in the USA

Further code cleanup can be obtained by importing a Wearables framework and moving the enum Size into that framework. Hence, the code then would look like this:

import Wearables
    let size = Size.Medium
    // Made in the USA
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Ha! The original Mac -- made it easy to type ransom notes ...

So it was YOU! ;)

Are you excited about today as I am?
  • Reply 44 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The keynote is never pure developer stuff though is it, even at WWDC? The State of the Union address which happens right after the keynote is pure developer. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Oh well, we will know in 5 hours I guess. </span>

The past couple years it has been. I've certainly never heard Apple talk about environmental initiatives or spend much time on retail at WWDC. Apple has more female employees than just Angela Ahrendts or Lisa Jackson. If that's what Apple does everyone will know it was just a token gesture. Microsoft and Google had women engineers onstage presenting.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

But the real question is --why to to WWDC in person and deal with the hellhole that is San Francisco when you can just watch the videos online? OH well, I guess those suckers are subsidizing my videos so thank you for paying $1500 to get the information about 8 hours ahead of me.

Getting one-to-one access to Apple's engineers is priceless.

• Reply 47 of 83
    richl wrote: »
    jessi wrote: »
    But the real question is --why to to WWDC in person and deal with the hellhole that is San Francisco when you can just watch the videos online? OH well, I guess those suckers are subsidizing my videos so thank you for paying $1500 to get the information about 8 hours ahead of me.

Getting one-to-one access to Apple's engineers is priceless.

I got out of the business in 1989, long before WWDC ... But, I agree -- access is everything!
  • Reply 48 of 83
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    I got out of the business in 1989, long before WWDC ... But, I agree -- access is everything!

Long before? WWDC started in 1990. :lol:
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Apple Developer sites are down -- Apple Store is still up ...

I expect Apple could change this (FoundationDB) -- but, maybe they just like the buzz ...
  • Reply 50 of 83

Long before? WWDC started in 1990. :lol:

Sorry, my bad ... Burn out after 11 years in Silicon Valley -- Sold the Computer stores, and played (did not touch a computer) for 7 years ...
  • Reply 51 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The past couple years it has been. I've certainly never heard Apple talk about environmental initiatives or spend much time on retail at WWDC. Apple has more female employees than just Angela Ahrendts or Lisa Jackson. If that's what Apple does everyone will know it was just a token gesture. Microsoft and Google had women engineers onstage presenting.

Oh, you would prefer to see female engineers on stage not just businesswomen. Would an artist satisfy you? Maybe the designer of the San Francisco font was a woman and she will announce it's adoption across all 3 OS'es. We just have no way of knowing.

• Reply 52 of 83
    I find it kind of interesting that we haven't seen any banners for iOS or OS X. Last year the iOS 8 and OS X banners went up on Friday. This year all we've gotten is one banner with iOS, OS X and watchOS listed together. Do we read something into that or not?

cg41zgdwcaa-95j-1.jpg
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Oh, you would prefer to see female engineers on stage not just businesswomen. Would an artist satisfy you? Maybe the designer of the San Francisco font was a woman and she will announce it's adoption across all 3 OS'es. We just have no way of knowing.

Oye, Oye ...

Apple doesn't do tokens -- never have ... Stupid, and too obvious!
  • Reply 54 of 83

Yes, this is a developer conference. And Apple has more female employees than just the ones on their executive bios page.i will be very surprised if Lisa Jackson or Angela Ahrendts will be on stage. If they wanted Angela on stage they would have put her up there at the March event. Today makes no sense.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Mmm ...

Under Tim Cook's watch, Apple seems to be taking on more awareness/activities (responsibility is the wrong word) for the conditions of society and the world we share,

I think Tim's Apple is redefining what a corporation is -- and what it's duties/responsibilities are!

Thanks to Steve and those who came before for giving Tim a lever and a place to stand!

One quibble... Apple has the leeway to engage in all of these "feel good" PR activities because they are massively successful. The only real reason for a corporation is to make a profit. Full stop. That's it. If at some point in the future Apple were to revert to the profit-less bumbling company it was in the past, that focus solely on profits would return and all the rest would be pushed into the background. I'm glad as a shareholder that they are in the top spot today, just to be clear. Also, I kind of prefer that they keep being underestimated. It's a good motivator.
  • Reply 56 of 83

Yes, this is a developer conference. And Apple has more female employees than just the ones on their executive bios page.i will be very surprised if Lisa Jackson or Angela Ahrendts will be on stage. If they wanted Angela on stage they would have put her up there at the March event. Today makes no sense.

Mmm ... I wonder if Phil or Tim will be on stage -- what are their technical developer bona fides?

WWDC is much more than a Developer event -- It is an Apple State Of The Union!
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Mmm ...

One quibble... Apple has the leeway to engage in all of these "feel good" PR activities because they are massively successful. The only real reason for a corporation is to make a profit. Full stop. That's it. If at some point in the future Apple were to revert to the profit-less bumbling company it was in the past, that focus solely on profits would return and all the rest would be pushed into the background. I'm glad as a shareholder that they are in the top spot today, just to be clear. Also, I kind of prefer that they keep being underestimated. It's a good motivator.

More than a quibble -- and, I agree.

When we set up our business, it was totally based on the profit motive ... Here were our corporate objectives:
    1. provide a fair return to our investors (3 partners)
    2. provide the best quality products and service to our customers
    3. have fun

1) makes it possible ... 2) makes it happen ... 3) makes it worthwhile!

Edit:
    Though, I believe that these activities are/need to be more than "feel good" PR activities ... I believe that Tim is out to change the [corporate] world as we know it ... maybe that means rethinking the profit motive ... which has been a guidepost of the US economy (and my life)

• Reply 58 of 83
    Mmm ... I wonder if Phil or Tim will be on stage -- what are their technical developer bona fides?

WWDC is much more than a Developer event -- It is an Apple State Of The Union!

Of course Cook as CEO would be on stage. And if Schiller is on stage it's to talk new hardware. Yes I'm aware WWDC keynote is to a wider audience than just developers but the past two years have been quite focused with little "here's the state of Apple" stuff thrown in.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Of course Cook as CEO would be on stage. And if Schiller is on stage it's to talk new hardware. Yes I'm aware WWDC keynote is to a wider audience than just developers but the past two years have been quite focused with little "here's the state of Apple" stuff thrown in.

Ugh, they need someone new. Phil just doesn't do it for me, he just reads marketing copy. :(

• Reply 60 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

This year all we've gotten is one banner with iOS, OS X and watchOS listed together. Do we read something into that or not?

Universal apps?