Apple to replace Newsstand with new Flipboard-like app for iOS 9

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple is apparently planning to do away with its Newsstand application for iOS, instead replacing it with a Flipboard-like digital magazine that will present content from a number of sources.

Citing unnamed sources, Re/code reported on Monday that partners for Apple's new application will include ESPN, The New York Times, Conde Nast, and Hearst. The new application will apparently replace Newsstand, a catch-all app that includes magazines, newspapers, and other subscription-based content.

According to Peter Kafka, publishers who use Apple's new app will keep 100 percent of the advertising they sell. The iPad maker will still take a 30 percent cut of revenue from subscriptions sold through publisher's own apps.

News of Apple's plans broke just before the company plans to unveil its next-generation platforms, including iOS 9 and OS X 10.11, at Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. Presumably, Apple's Newsstand replacement will be an integral part of the iOS 9 operating system update.

Apple's Newsstand debuted in 2011 with the launch of iOS 5. It was initially exclusive to the iPad, but eventually came to the iPhone as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30

So what about magazines we currently get through Newsstand, not on the partner list? I guess they just have to develop a standalone app now?

• Reply 2 of 30
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I'm not familiar with Flipboard, but I hope I can still look at a single source in published order when I want to. 

• Reply 3 of 30

NO!!!

Get gubmint out of my National Geographic and Wired Magazine!!!

• Reply 4 of 30
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    The digital magazines are ridiculously unintuitive. I subscribed to one of the magazines and I learned through flipping that I was missing out a lot that I didn't nkotice. For example, I didn't know that tapping a red circle would display a caption. I didn't know that I Can scroll the page.. but yet at the samet ime, some pages are scrollable and some pages are screen by screen. Makes no sense at all.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Wonderful. Another useless app to add to the 15 I already have. I really wish Apple would make it so that you could just delete some of the bloat on iOS rather than shoving it in another folder.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Wonderful. Another useless app to add to the 15 I already have. I really wish Apple would make it so that you could just delete some of the bloat on iOS rather than shoving it in another folder.

I do not think you understand the definition of "replace".

Quote:

Replace, verb; 

1. take the place of:

"Ian's smile was replaced by a frown"

• Reply 7 of 30
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Flipboard is slick. Just download it.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So what about magazines we currently get through Newsstand, not on the partner list? I guess they just have to develop a standalone app now?

Hmm...news stand is horrible right now. If you try and search for it in Spotlight it doesn't even show up. I hope Apple either gets rid of it or replaces it with something better.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I do not think you understand the definition of "replace".

There's a lot of things I don't understand:D

• Reply 10 of 30
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    arlor wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Flipboard, but I hope I can still look at a single source in published order when I want to. 

Flipboard is actually an amazing app. It's my go-to national news app along with plenty of apple news sources.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

Flipboard is actually an amazing app. It's my go-to national news app along with plenty of apple news sources.

Flipboard was one of my first downloads when I got my iPad in November 2013. I use it every day at least once.

• Reply 12 of 30
    xavier83xavier83 Posts: 63member
    best news so far
  • Reply 13 of 30
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    All of the newsstand apps are already standalone apps...so it won't hurt the magazine makers really... they probably won't even have to recompile.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Among veterinarians, this is called "putting down" a pet, except in this case the pet is a stray that never found owners.

Newsstand never attracted many users, do unless Apple comes up with something magic, this new app is likely to bomb too. The problem doesn't just lie with how Apple shares revenue with publications. It lies with the value, if any, users attach to the application.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    nightskynightsky Posts: 43member
    What! Why? No Way. Newsstand is the main reason I purchased an iPad in the first place. I haven't bought a paper magazine or newspaper for ages. I don't want a flipbaord style app. It's not even remotely the same. The whole benefit of Newsstand is being to collate all my newspapers and magazines in one place. Seriously hope this report is wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    pte applepte apple Posts: 82member

• Reply 17 of 30
    pte applepte apple Posts: 82member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

The digital magazines are ridiculously unintuitive. I subscribed to one of the magazines and I learned through flipping that I was missing out a lot that I didn't nkotice. For example, I didn't know that tapping a red circle would display a caption. I didn't know that I Can scroll the page.. but yet at the samet ime, some pages are scrollable and some pages are screen by screen. Makes no sense at all.

sorry to hear that.....I've never had an issue - I just click or touch or scroll - only way to find out happens - if i wait for direction in life i loose the fun of exploring... - just with some zines would be e-sub only instead of including a hard copy at the same price...

• Reply 18 of 30
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Love the idea, but suspect that I'm going to hate the implementation, and for much the same reason I hate Flipboard and love Zite.

Cook mentioned that News would host excellent typography and a Times article would look like a Times article. Thing is, I don't WANT each and every article to look different, any more than I want to read a book or magazine where every chapter and page switches fonts, styles, and margins.

What I want in a news aggregator is CONSISTENCY. I want to choose the font, size, line spacing and margins that best suit my eyes and reading style.

If they want to "brand" their article put a friggin' logo in the corner, but don't keep messing with my font settings.

• Reply 19 of 30
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Really, you've never used FlipBoard before, wow, because it's really good, like Pinterest, News 360 and Feedly, it's one of those apps you have got to have. I love reading magazines, though like NewsStand I will never use or even try this new app from Apple. Simply and the reason why I don't use most of Apples mobile apps is it's just not crossed platform. So I use Zinio, which is still the best magazine reader around and Issuu and if you guys haven't tried yet you missing out on a treat, Issuu is simply fantastic. It has a great interface, lot's of free magazines, international titles, basically magazines you can't find on other readers. Definitely worth trying out.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

They are already standalone apps. Right now Newsstand is nothing but a special folder that apps that have selected to use must be located in. Originally, apps in the Newsstand folder profited from background downloads and notifications for new editions, now every app can do this, it doesn't need to be in Newsstand for it anymore.