HTC uses photos taken on an iPhone to show off its new 24K-gold One M9

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Taiwanese device maker HTC recently unveiled a limited run of its flagship One M9 handset plated in 24-karat gold, showing the new device off on Twitter --?using photos taken with an iPhone.

HTC teased the gilded smartphone with three pictures, including one render and two real-world shots. Unfortunately for HTC, as noted by VentureBeat, the polished gold revealed a reflection of the photographer and his iPhone in one of the snaps.

The offending image was subsequently removed, though not before being noticed by numerous Twitter users.

Apple has won a substantial amount of free publicity in other companies' marketing campaigns over the years, as celebrities and agency staff continue to prefer the iPhone to devices they are being paid to promote. Last year, Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres famously used a device from event sponsor Samsung to take an on-stage selfie, but returned to tweeting after the event with an iPhone.

Other promotional slip-ups have included the likes of soccer great David Beckham, T-Mobile chief John Legere, and tennis star David Ferrer. Ferrer's was perhaps the most embarrassing of that trio, as he tweeted his support for Samsung and its Galaxy S4 --?with a pre-written promotional message --?via his iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    LOL. I saw that mentioned a few days ago at Android Central. Woops!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    haha. fail.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    How embarrassing smh
  • Reply 4 of 29
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

The iPhone 6 clearly has the best camera on a smart phone so can't argue with HTC's marketing team.

• Reply 5 of 29
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    That was a bit of an own goal, haha
  • Reply 6 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

That basically encapsulates the entire truth about Apple vs. everyone else.

• Reply 7 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I just love these ooops. But keep in mind this is most likely an ad company who is doing this for HTC, not an HTC employee.

However, you would expect that if HTC is contracting someone to do work for them they would require them to use their products.

Grant it you would never see any apple product that Apple is promoting would use a competing product to market it to the public. Apple would not allow it.
  • Reply 8 of 29

HTC's camera images are terrible because they use terrible processing software, so an iPhone (or Nokia) was the only real alternative.

• Reply 9 of 29
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

When only the best will do...

• Reply 10 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

... so an iPhone (or Nokia) was the only real alternative.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

When only the best will do...

Or perhaps a Canon 5Ds with a 105mm lens.

• Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Or perhaps a Canon 5Ds with a 105mm lens.

Right, uploading to Twitter from a gigantic dinosaur is just easy peasy. :rolleyes:

• Reply 12 of 29
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Can't blame them, really...

iPhones have the best quality cameras in the mobile biz (and it's about much, much more than just megapixels.)

• Reply 13 of 29
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Actually there is nothing wrong with that.

HTC is trying to show the slick gold body of their phone and the iPhone takes great pictures, so...

Plus they are getting free publicity for the phone on various sites including here.

It actually smart on their part because they just want you to know that their phone exists.

• Reply 14 of 29

Or a Nikon D810 or D4S with a 105mm lens. And yes uploading to things like Twitter is easy but for the life of me I can't think why anyone would do that direct from a proper (i.e. PRO) camera without some post processing (eg cropping) is beyond me for a shot of this sort.

• Reply 15 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy compares its phone to iphone. hTC uses iPhone for ads. Free publicity.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

Right, uploading to Twitter from a gigantic dinosaur is just easy peasy. :rolleyes:

It's easy with the excellent Canon 70D with WiFi.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Apple should post these on their "Shot on iPhone" advertising campaign! Hahaha! Priceless!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    voanvoan Posts: 9member
    You know, there's an APP to remove the reflections…
  • Reply 19 of 29
    All show and No go!!! That plating would be scratched to hell in no time...idiots!!
  • Reply 20 of 29
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

HTC's camera images are terrible because they use terrible processing software, so an iPhone (or Nokia) was the only real alternative.

It would have been 10000 times better just to use a DSLR then a iPhone of all camera's!!!!  I mean WOW!!! The iPhone must have a really good camera for a Advertiser doing a Ad campaign to just to use a iPhone from all the other many choices out there.  It really is pretty funny.