Apple Pay support will expand to include 'private label' retail store cards

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Apple on Monday is expected to announce that its Apple Pay mobile wallet will begin accepting retail store cards, allowing consumers to benefit from special offers and discounts at certain locations.

Details on the expansion for Apple Pay were revealed by unnamed sources to The Wall Street Journal, which reported that the announcement will be made as part of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.

To date, Apple Pay has supported select credit and debit cards. But so-called "private label cards" have not yet been accepted as part of Apple Pay.

Store cards can only be used at specific merchants, and come with special benefits for cardholders.

Monday's report claimed that "a series of changes to Apple Pay" will be unveiled at WWDC. What other changes the company may have in store were not detailed.

Apple Pay is currently available on the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Even more than adding Discover, this is what I'm looking forward to as it will mean I can reduce the number of cards in my wallet dramatically. I'm hoping to get to a point where I only carry my Visa (as a backup if Apple Pay isn't accepted) and two debit cards, with Apple Pay used for everything else.

The only thing that I wish they would add, especially if this comes to fruition, is location aware card selection, rather than having to manually select a secondary card at a particular store. That would make Apple Pay significantly more convenient than it already is.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Still having trouble at Home Depot. Used the live checkout clerk because self check out doesn't to ApplePay. Checker said, yes, we take ApplePay, but we couldn't get the terminal to take it using either the watch or phone.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    With other platforms also beginning to offer their versions of mobile payments, and making sure the word gets out about it, it will help hasten the investment retailers are willing to make to enable it. Rising tide and all that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Still having trouble at Home Depot. Used the live checkout clerk because self check out doesn't to ApplePay. Checker said, yes, we take ApplePay, but we couldn't get the terminal to take it using either the watch or phone.

They broke it when they enabled contact chip. The screen now says something like "swipe tap or insert card", so contactless is supposed to work, eventually.

• Reply 5 of 6
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

That would be Cool if I can use my MoviePass Card (Which is really a Discover Card) using ApplePay!!!

• Reply 6 of 6
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

ApplePay was working at Home Depot, but it stopped working like a month ago.  I  don't know why that is.  It still show's PayPass on the screen.   Home Depot did say they are Supporting Apple Pay later this year!!!  I'm just not sure why they stopped support just to start up support again later?!?!?!