Apple reveals watchOS 2: 3rd-party complications, nightstand mode, native apps, more

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Though the Apple Watch is newly on the wrists of users, Apple is already showcasing the next major update to its wearable operating system, which will offer a number of new features, most notably the ability to run native third-party applications without the need for a connected iPhone.

Starting with watchOS 2, developers will be able to create their own watch face complications. These will offer users the ability to add glanceable custom information like upcoming flights or sports scores.

Complications will also feature a new capability called "Time Travel," where users can rotate the Digital Crown on their Apple Watch to see information for later in the day, including calendar entries, weather, and more.

Apple also has a new feature called nightstand mode, which allows the Watch face to be viewed on its side for charging. When resting like this, the Digital Crown and side button can be used to snooze and end an alarm in the morning.

Friends can also be added more easily to favorite contacts in watchOS 2.

Siri will also be able to start workouts, without a user needing to touch the Watch to begin an activity. And third-party workout apps will be able to run natively on the device, and workouts will count toward goals in the Activity app.

Apple Pay on watchOS 2 will also include store cards and rewards cards, just like in iOS 9. Mass transit capabilities in Maps will also work on Apple Watch with the next-gen operating system.

Developers creating apps for watchOS 2 will also be able to access the Apple Watch's microphone, or play audio out of the device's speaker. The new operating system will also offer access to HealthKit, give the ability to show video, read accelerometer data, and more.

New customizable watch faces will also be included with watchOS 2, allowing users to select a photo that will display when their wrist is raised, or see a timelapse from one of five different locations, such as Hong Kong or New York.

The developer beta for watchOS 2 is available today for developers. It will launch for the public this fall as a free update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Watch is looking better and better

except battery life.

• Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:

Samsung pitchman Lebron James buys teammates Apple Watches before NBA finals

http://www.benzinga.com/news/15/06/5576693/lebron-james-gives-teammates-apple-watches-prior-to-nba-finals

LOOLLLLOOLLLLOOLLLOL!

He will get rid of his Note soon.

• Reply 3 of 33
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    except battery life.

I'm at 50-60% when i charge it before bed. whats the problem?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

That you are so LAZY you can't spend 2 seconds putting your watch on the charger each night.  TWO. SECONDS. I mean don't you need to put your watch somewhere each night so you can find it each morning?  Or do you expect to wear the WAtch while you sleep?  

Its not physically possible for a smartwatch with the capabilities of the Watch to last a week with todays tech.  You minus well wish for a fusion reactor in your car.

LOL...As an iPhone 6+ owner, I like to charge it at the same time with my iPhone which is every 2 days. So, my point concurs with most of Apple Watch owners: not get better battery life.

• Reply 5 of 33
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    except battery life.
    I'm getting two days easy
  • Reply 6 of 33
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

except battery life.

I have one of the first-gen Pebble Watches. Cool watch, very functional, battery life a few days (but less than a week). I still charged it every night. 

I wish my Apple Watch had longer battery life, but the truth is that my iPhone 6+ has been running out in less than a day, while my Apple Watch has not shut down yet (actually, traveling on a flight to China, I did put it into low power mode.)

The functionality is so much better than the Pebble, I will put up with charging every night (since I already do so with the Pebble) and enjoy the improved experience on my Apple Watch.

• Reply 7 of 33
    phidelysphidelys Posts: 2member
    When the HealthKit will be also available for iPad?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Shhh! You're ruining his narrative!

• Reply 9 of 33

As always I can't wait the updates, I've been happy with my apple watch, it still confuses people, and they don't know what it's called. The speed of using apple pay is faster on the watch then my iphone, especially switching between cards. I'm hoping some of this will location based, so if your in a store with your rewards card will come up first, then you can pay with your credit card. I'm just hoping it doesn't complicate the situation, pay with gift card then with your card if there is a remaining balance.

• Reply 10 of 33
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

The watch battery can last 2 to 3 days very easily.
    A very pleasant surprise for Apple Watch early adopters.
    It's under promise and over deliver at its best
  • Reply 11 of 33
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

Nightstand mode shows a glaring shortcoming with OLED technology, despite last week's OLED hype. My BlackBerry Bold 9000 had a better nightstand mode: the screen remained on at minimum brightness.

• Reply 12 of 33
    Complications??? Do you mean Compilations?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applejedi View Post

Complications??? Do you mean Compilations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complication_(horology)

• Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

I have one of the first-gen Pebble Watches. Cool watch, very functional, battery life a few days (but less than a week). I still charged it every night. 

I wish my Apple Watch had longer battery life, but the truth is that my iPhone 6+ has been running out in less than a day, while my Apple Watch has not shut down yet (actually, traveling on a flight to China, I did put it into low power mode.)

The functionality is so much better than the Pebble, I will put up with charging every night (since I already do so with the Pebble) and enjoy the improved experience on my Apple Watch.

No one denies Apple watch functionalities which are the best on the market. My iPhone lasts 2 full days which my watch only goes to around 24-26 hrs. I just wish Apple improves WatchOS to boost 25% more battery and that will make my day.

• Reply 15 of 33
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

except battery life.

Do you have anything positive to say or is your "reason  d'etre":  simply a  Killjoy?

• Reply 16 of 33
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

No one denies Apple watch functionalities which are the best on the market. My iPhone lasts 2 full days which my watch only goes to around 24-26 hrs. I just wish Apple improves WatchOS to boost 25% more battery and that will make my day.

Perhaps you should stop thinking battery life and "GET A LIFE" instead, lol, you might even get laid too?

• Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistis View Post

Perhaps you should stop thinking battery life and "GET A LIFE" instead, lol, you might even get laid too?

I did ...with your mom last night. BTW, asshole. why don't you take your 3 year old attitude out of this forum. It's for adults here. What a fucking newbie! STFU.

• Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistis View Post

Do you have anything positive to say or is your "reason  d'etre":  simply a  Killjoy?

Do you have anything to add to this forum since...JAN 2015? utter idiot. You can kiss my left nut. BTW, I blocked you since I don't talk to idiot.

• Reply 19 of 33
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

As hard as he tried, there was nothing Lynch said that made me want to go out and get an Apple Watch.

Perhaps the ability to run native apps will yield a killer application...but personally the watch is still convenience over need/want. 

• Reply 20 of 33
    jwalkerjwalker Posts: 1member

I have 50 - 60% battery life still at the end of every day.  There is no issue with battery life.