Apple Music streams songs on-demand, features 24/7 'Beats 1' station, on iOS & Android for $10/month

Comments

• Reply 21 of 220
    manny805manny805 Posts: 9member

Anyone want to split a family plan? 

• Reply 22 of 220
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Eddy was right on Cue when he talked about the problems of family accounts and sharing accounts. I am in an in-between place and where my iTunes Match library has everything from Hanna Montana to Cuban music Eminem and Radiohead. It is a big mess. The new family ?Music family account sounds great. Not sure about Beats1 but I suspect we will see more channels developing rapidly, with guest artist hosting shows. I also like all the different ways of interacting with the app which suggests it may be a great way to discover new music. I will definitely sign up for the family account and test it for a year.
  • Reply 23 of 220
    danreissdanreiss Posts: 1member

Apparently no music for anyone with an IQ above 95.

• Reply 24 of 220
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

ok.  Lets say they get 25 million this year.  50 million next year.

That is already close to $10 billion in revenue in less than 2 years.

Beats was only $3 billion.  With a 10% profit margin they will recoup the cost of the acquisition in less than 4 years.  Then add in Beats hardware sales and its probably only 3 years.  Any business that pays for itself in less than 10 years is an AMAZING ROI. Especially if it continues to grow Revenue/profits which I expect AppleMusic to do.

I believe it was only three to four years with Beats current revenues, which sort of made the deal a no brainer.

• Reply 25 of 220
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »

Beats was only $3 billion.  With a 10% profit margin they will recoup the cost of the acquisition in less than 4 years.  Then add in Beats hardware sales and its probably only 3 years.  Any business that pays for itself in less than 10 years is an AMAZING ROI. Especially if it continues to grow Revenue/profits which I expect AppleMusic to do.
    Except I don't think Apple necessarily needed Beats to do Apple Music. Iovine is certainly a big addition tho.
  • Reply 26 of 220
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Wow... ending on a low point? I'm guessing that space was supposed to be where the delayed AppleTV was supposed to go because that was just drug out and awkward. What was the point of bringing out whoever that was because all he did was echo what the video said in much more uncomfortable, less interesting way?

The reaction from the audience, as well as it's boredom with whoever the heck that was performing at the close, pretty much says it all. Why would I spent ten bucks for something I'm already getting from Pandora for 5? Oh, Radio One? Uh, if I wanted to listen to someone else's playlist and over inflated ego, I'd click over to FM.

Great WWDC keynote right up until the end. Ping 2.0 is a huge whiff.

• Reply 27 of 220
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That implies that they had to acquire Beats to ultimately offer Apple Music.  Not sure that is 100% true.  Certainly helped but Apple already had considerable clout in the music space.

• Reply 27 of 220
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Spotify and the others now look like the technological equivalent of MP3 players before the iPod.

Bye bye! Apple eat your lunch now!

I'm a paying Spotify user and I have no intention of switching over. What is the revolutionary about Apple Music?
  • Reply 29 of 220
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

B R E A K I N G

Apple removed "iPod" from their main menu on the updated Apple website!

They actually replaced "iPod" with "music"?

• Reply 30 of 220
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member

I agree with the others, the Family Plan is a great move.  Spotify does not offer one (or didn't the last time I checked).

I'll be signing up for sure.  As long as they include an explicit music filter function, which Beats Music did not offer.

• Reply 31 of 220
    cash907 wrote: »
    Wow... ending on a low point? I'm guessing that space was supposed to be where the delayed AppleTV was supposed to go because that was just drug out and awkward. What was the point of bringing out whoever that was because all he did was echo what the video said in much more uncomfortable, less interesting way?

The reaction from the audience, as well as it's boredom with whoever the heck that was performing at the close, pretty much says it all. Why would I spent ten bucks for something I'm already getting from Pandora for 5? Oh, Radio One? Uh, if I wanted to listen to someone else's playlist and over inflated ego, I'd click over to FM.

Great WWDC keynote right up until the end. Ping 2.0 is a huge whiff.

The whole music portion was painful. Nothing revolutionary about it. Didn't deserve all the time it got.
  • Reply 32 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Spotify and the others now look like the technological equivalent of MP3 players before the iPod.

Bye bye! Apple eat your lunch now!

Yeah, no. Not even close.

• Reply 33 of 220
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

So we have a single global "radio" station. Hooray for monoculture. How much will record companies be paying to have their songs played on this station? How much will they be paying to have their artists interviewed?

The family price does seem very good.

I'd like to see high-bit rate, too.

For now I'll stick with free Pandora & free Spotify. Not high-bit rate, but good enough for earbuds or in the truck. If I really want a high quality copy I'll buy the CD.

I'm just not into music as an entire lifestyle. Maybe I need to be a 14 year-old.

• Reply 34 of 220
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    The fact that Drake is the only non old white person at this Apple Event is really showing how out of touch Apple can be with non-dad america.?
  • Reply 35 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

I agree with the others, the Family Plan is a great move.  Spotify does not offer one (or didn't the last time I checked).

I'll be signing up for sure.  As long as they include an explicit music filter function, which Beats Music did not offer.

Spotify doesn't need one, nor does Pandora. I have both on all my devices, including wife's and kids, and have never had an issue. Again, why would I pay 15 for what I'm already getting for 5?

• Reply 36 of 220
    They said nothing about iTunes Match or iTunes Radio. Are they both dead? And is there an easy way for people to transfer their playlists from other services to Apple Music? A lot of important details that might get people to switch were left out of the keynote.
  • Reply 37 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

The fact that Drake is the only non old white person at this Apple Event is really showing how out of touch Apple can be with non-dad america.?

The fact that no one cared and the loudest reaction to Drake's piece was a cough pretty clearly illustrated how what you mentioned above isn't an issue.

• Reply 38 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If I'm Sony, BMI and more I'm shitting my self.

It's Apple, so it's fair to say all of the above are going to be getting a hefty royalty deal off this so why exactly would they be shitting themselves?

• Reply 39 of 220
    pawwarpawwar Posts: 2member
    What happens to my Beats Music service?
    Once Apple Music launches on June 30, you can easily move your current Beats Music subscription over to Apple Music. Just open Beats Music on your iOS device and you%u2019ll be prompted to join Apple Music. Once you%u2019ve signed up, the playlists you%u2019ve created or subscribed to and the albums you%u2019ve saved in your Beats Music library will all be available to you in Apple Music.

Still have questions? Read the FAQ at Beats Music

(apple.com)
  • Reply 40 of 220
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

?Music not for me. I already have professional DJ curated music that suits my old guy taste. they are called Radio Paradise and KOCI.