Apple unveils iOS 9 with smarter Siri, public transit in Maps, iPad split-screen multitasking

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Too bad "split-screen simultaneous apps are limited to the iPad Air 2". That's BS imo.

its surely a ram limitation. why are hardware limitations BS?
  • Reply 42 of 128
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

hot damn! 

true multi-task!

iOS could always true Multi-task.  What do you think playing Music in the background and doing something in the foreground is?  That's true Multi tasking!!!  Just because there's a split screen option doesn't change that fact.  In fact I still think that's dumb on such a small screen.  i don't even do that on my 15" Laptop which is why I have a second Monitor!!!  

I guess it'll shut up some Fandroids,...........Oh wait no it won't, they'll just now say it's Apple Copying!!!

• Reply 43 of 128
    rogifan wrote: »
    Obviously the experience is crap. Or Apple needs a way to increase iPad sales.

when will people learn?

apple is already the biggest, most successful CE tech firm in the history of our species, with the biggest pile of money in the bank. they don't need to trick you into buying new iPads.

it's the experience on older hardware. thats always been apple's guiding principle. the experience.
  • Reply 44 of 128
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member

So iOS and Siri is now more like Android and Google Now? So who is copying who again?

• Reply 45 of 128
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... auto layout and slide classes ...

Just FYI that's "size classes."

Now the whole concept of size classes makes a whole lot more sense.

Didn't seem all that useful to me with autolayout already in place.

But split-screen and picture-in-picture really need it.

• Reply 46 of 128
    Did Apple eventually release Siri for older iPhone? I can see the same thing here. 

no. no, apple didn't eventually release iOS Siri on older iPhones; just 4S and newer.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

It's about gosh darn time. Took them long enough. Now I might be able to be more productive.

Funny. I just heard someone say " Samsung has already done all of that". It's is a true statement but you guys will say Apple did it better.

Samsung did already do it.  But it's only on some of their apps, and it's NOT ANDROID it's self!!!   I still don't see how it'll make you any more productive with it as without it.   iOS has always been able to Multi-task, but only when it made sense.  Playing music in the background while reading a book, or GPS, or whatever else.  That's true multi-tasking.  Having split screens  changes nothing other then spit screen on a small screen.  I just think it's LAME and not a big deal at all.  I don't even spit screen on my Windows XP laptop with it's 4:3 15" screen that I'm on now.   Which is why I have a second monitor plugged in for those times I need it.   At Home with my 1 24" 16x10 Monitor, doing split screen works out well. It's a hell of a lot bigger in size and wide screen 16x10.  a iPad is 4:3., not quite 10", you'll have these tiny split windows.  Thanks, but no thanks. It's easy enough to switch from one full screen to another full screen.

• Reply 48 of 128
    Like Apple Map?

never had a bad user experience. try again.
  • Reply 49 of 128

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

So iOS and Siri is now more like Android and Google Now? So who is copying who again?

Who cares?

The real question is: how much of your personal data is Google forking over to third parties?

And how is Google data-mining your every move, 24/7?

And how much money are they getting when they sell that data to advertisers?

Who knows?  The one thing we all know is that 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising.

• Reply 50 of 128
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    I really hope they avoid a buggy release, like iOS 8 was! Even with the latest bug fixes to iOS 8, Safari still crashes all the time!
  • Reply 51 of 128
    No, just telling the truth.  I think this is a catch-up release.  There's nothing at all that's new.

and if its a stability release, whats the problem w/ that? is apple...doomed?
  • Reply 52 of 128
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »

Who cares?

The real question is: how much of your personal data is Google forking over to third parties?
    And how is Google data-mining your every move, 24/7?
    And how much money are they getting when they sell that data to advertisers?

Who knows?  The one thing we all know is that 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising.

And most of that from iOS users.
  • Reply 53 of 128

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

LOL.  True that.

Google needs iOS more than they need Android.

• Reply 54 of 128
    peteralt wrote: »
    I really hope they avoid a buggy release, like iOS 8 was! Even with the latest bug fixes to iOS 8, Safari still crashes all the time!

my Safari does not crash all the time.
  • Reply 55 of 128
    The one thing we all know is that 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising.
    dasanman69 wrote: »

er no, "most" of google's (entire) ad revenue is not coming from iOS users.

most of their mobile advertising does, but thats not the majority of their ad revenue.
  • Reply 56 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Split screen view only available on Air 2. And people here say RAM doesn't matter.

Of course RAM matters.  It all depends for what.  If you need 2-3 Gig's of RAM on Android to do what 1 Gig on iOS does, iOS is a much better effecent OS.  There's no Slip Screen on Android.  There is on some Samscum Devices, but that's not Stock Android.  With the Majority of Android phones sold have weak CPU's, very little RAM, and if Google added the feature to Android most Android phones/tablets wouldn't be able to use it.  It's like Encrypting the Data on Android phones.  Google wanted to turn it on by Default but it was killing the performance of most Android phones in the 50% range so default had to continue to be off.  

Even my iPad 3 could do spit screen, I'd check it out once, see it and then never use it again.   It's pointless on a small screen.  iOS already Multi-tasks.  It always has, which is why you can do things like Play Music in the background while WAZE is running in the foreground.   Split screens is just one feature of what a Multi-Tasking computer or Smartphone can do, but it's still Multi-Tasking.

• Reply 57 of 128
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    The one thing we all know is that 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising.
    dasanman69 wrote: »

er no, "most" of google's (entire) ad revenue is not coming from iOS users.

most of their mobile advertising does, but thats not the majority of their ad revenue.

Thanks for the correction. I should've mentioned the mobile part of that revenue. Oversight on my part.
  • Reply 58 of 128
    carmelapplecarmelapple Posts: 124member
    Did you prove it due to RAM or Apple try to play the Siri game again to push customers to buy the Air2. After a few updates, they will make it available on older devices.

Read my comment on Siri before? Did Apple eventually release Siri for older iPhone? I can see the same thing here. 

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I don't recall Siri ever being released or available for anything older than the iPhone 4S which is the phone it was unvailed on. The only possible "older" device that I can think of was the iPad Mini (1st Gen) which is technically a smaller version of the iPad 2 which is older than the iPhone 4S by 8 months. The Mini, though, is technically newer than the iPad 2. Strange that the iPad mini got it but not the iPad 2 as I'm fairly sure both had the same A9 processor and 512MB of RAM. The iPad 3 was the limit for Siri compatibility with full-size iPads at least as far as I am aware.

I'm pretty sure these new iOS9 iPad features aren't going to make it to older iPads which is a shame as I'm still roughing it with an iPad 3rd Gen...but this old iPad does get bogged down quite easily so having two apps running side by side would probably be a severe drain on resources and battery life. I quite enjoy doing hours of work and still having plenty battery left for the next day before even thinking of plugging it in.

Of course there is the argument that Apple has supported a lot of older hardware in the past with several versions of its operating systems, but that also bit them in the butt when reports came out that the devices were not handling things very well. It would be nice if they could write software with all features that worked across all supported devices, but the truth is that would be more limiting for the software and as hardware continues to improve, older devices won't be able to handle the implimentations of crazier features which evolve with the newer hardware. It would stifle innovation and keep iOS further behind Android. Apple has to have a lowest common denominator for features and some of the crazier features just cannot be handled by that older hardware. I'm just happy Apple still recognizes the 3rd Gen iPad. Though if things work out the way I think, iOS 10 will probably not support the iPad 2 and I'll be able to hold on for at least a couple more versions with my 3rd Gen. I was sad when my 2007 MacBook was dropped from OS X support past Lion but it was just a matter of time. Everything in tech becomes obsolete sometime.
  • Reply 59 of 128
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

One thing I was hoping for was an integrated method for reviewing and cleaning out the "Other" category on iOS devices. This continues to be a headache for many with the only way of getting around it is to increase your storage.

• Reply 60 of 128
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Windows 8 finally arrived on iPad Air 2. 

Not really because Windows 8 can't do two things at once.

Read the article again. It's not just saying that two apps can be run at the same time it's saying that two apps can be run and manipulated at the same time. Even Android can't boast that functionality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathieuLLF View Post

If you really want to get picky, Google Wallet has already been around for a few years...

And if you want to get pickier Microsoft Wallet existed a decade before Android was even a glimmer in the milkman's eye.