Apple to replace Newsstand with new Flipboard-like app for iOS 9

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Love the idea, but suspect that I'm going to hate the implementation, and for much the same reason I hate Flipboard and love Zite.

Cook mentioned that News would host excellent typography and a Times article would look like a Times article. Thing is, I don't WANT each and every article to look different, any more than I want to read a book or magazine where every chapter and page switches fonts, styles, and margins.

What I want in a news aggregator is CONSISTENCY. I want to choose the font, size, line spacing and margins that best suit my eyes and reading style.

Get an RSS reader, you cannot get more consistency. 

• Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post

What! Why? No Way. Newsstand is the main reason I purchased an iPad in the first place. I haven't bought a paper magazine or newspaper for ages. I don't want a flipbaord style app. It's not even remotely the same. The whole benefit of Newsstand is being to collate all my newspapers and magazines in one place. Seriously hope this report is wrong.

I think you will survive having to put all your newspaper and magazine apps manually into a folder (which you then can even name Newsstand). Newsstand today is nothing but a specially styled folder where apps that signed up for it are placed (and cannot be moved from).

• Reply 23 of 30
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    I've been a huge fan of Zite for awhile now, but they haven't updated much since they sold out to Flipboard, and Flipboard blows. Hope Apple comes thru with this app.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I don't see how the new app replaces the old. While the new app looks great from a graphic standpoint and has lots of magazines embedded, it only has selected articles. Didn't they say in the Keynote that the New York Times, for example, would have only 30 articles per day?

Newsstand, if you have a NYT subscription, has all the NY Times articles (but not the syndicated features like crosswords, etc.). I'd use the new app, but I'd want to keep the ability to read the entire NYT.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Get an RSS reader, you cannot get more consistency. 

Unless the RSS feed returns the entire article, all you see is a standardized summary and to read the rest you usually have to click on a link to the web site. And all of the different web sites are... shall we say... less than consistent. Not to mention loaded with ads and pop-up sign-up scripts.

• Reply 26 of 30
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

There's a lot of things I don't understand:D

Now that's funny! :) Made me smile.

• Reply 27 of 30
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

best news so far

I agree with that. :)

• Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Unless the RSS feed returns the entire article, all you see is a standardized summary and to read the rest you usually have to click on a link to the web site. And all of the different web sites are... shall we say... less than consistent. Not to mention loaded with ads and pop-up sign-up scripts.

That's where services like Readability come in that load the rest of the article into the same window/area that is showing the article summary (which for example is built into the RSS client Reeder). There can be the occasional website where this does not work but non of my regular feeds block this service. And a lot of good sites also post the whole article, eg, macrumors.com. And yes, some sites are adding ads now but for me they always appear unobtrusively at the end of the article. 

Generally it is the web-only publications that play nicely with RSS readers. Apps like Flipboard appear to me as always serving a random collection of articles (of course not completely randomly but always an algorithmically selected subset of what the original publications actually published). Some people may like that but I rather pick the publications I follow and then browse through all their articles to find the ones I want to read. 

• Reply 29 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd really like to see an OS X version of this app. Has there been mention anywhere else of this? I am a die hard MBP user for casual Safari browsing and Mail use, even though we have a bunch if iPads in the house.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    This is cool stuff! I recently started listening to this podcast called PubTech Nation and they discuss the latest publishing and technology industry news. This link to the podcast explains stand alone apps and the removal of newsstand in iOS 9. Hope this provides new/fresh insight!

https://overcast.fm/ E1x3wNEvM/20:53